PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for...

George Springer
06-17-2007, 3:11 PM
I posted this on Woodnet and thought I would post it here too; I'm looking for a pair of #8 hollow&round planes and a #16 hollow. If you have any duplicates or some you want to part with let me know.

George Springer

Dean Lapinel
06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Got my curiosity. I could recommend a dealer that carries many mismatched sets but I need to check the rules of the board first.

Is this for finishing off a set or for a specific project? If it's for a project then I would love to know what you're doing (if you don't mind).

George Springer
06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm finishing off the set I got started. I've seen several half sets for sale, both here and in England. I was taking stock today of my moulding planes and found out I would have a decent quarter set if I fill in these planes. Since I posted this message I found the #16 hollow. While I'm still learning what I can do with them, I find that between H&R's, side beads, reeds and plows you can do about anything you want to. It takes a little thought and planning but that's part of the attraction. I would be interested in the dealer you mentioned. You can send me a private message if you like.

George Springer

Dave Anderson NH
06-18-2007, 6:00 AM
One recommendation for you George. Before you get too far along do some research on the different numbering systems used to size the H & R. This can make a difference in whether or not you end up with a consistent spread of sizes or whether there is a gap. I would also recommend that if you are trying to assemble a half set you buy only matched pairs. To carry this line of thought even further, try to get pairs from a single manufacturer for consistency in sizing.

I have a half set of "evens" in a skewed York pitch by Griffiths of Norwood (UK). When I purchased it, there were 3 planes missing which I was able to order from Tony Murland in England to fill out the set. The price was great at only $40 total including shipping. My half set of common pitch Andrus of Trenton NJ is still missing 3 planes after 8 years and I've not had any luck finding fill in pieces.

George Springer
06-18-2007, 8:40 AM
Dave, Good advice. I have researched the sizes and have always bought pairs except the #16. GS

Dean Lapinel
06-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Well if the boss can say it I can repeat it since that was my suggestion as well-Tony Murland in England . :)