PDA

View Full Version : ZCI on a sliding compound miter saw?

Jim O'Dell
06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Had a minor kick back using my cheap, but so far dependable, Ryobi miter saw, yesterday. Worse damage was a scratch, and a hit in the stoach, but no marks. It got me to thinking about it's eventual replacement (and that it may have moved to the top of the equipment list ). Are any of the SCMS units out there zero clearance insert capable? I need to start doing some more serious research, and saving, but hadn't seen this in my window shopping before. My front runners from the casual search are, in no particular order, Makita 10", Bosch 10", Hitachi 10", and I wasn't happy with the DeWalt 10" I played with, but won't count it out. I grabbed the handle and made the cutting motion. The plastic blade guard took a nice smooth section right off my hand! (no power, static display) So I figure the handle placement and how I intuatively grabbed it, may not be a good match. I really liked the Hitachi setup and the way it felt, again on a static display, but the new design sure kills the reason I built the box bay window on the shop!! Haven't really played much with the Bosch or the Makita yet, but both have their loyal following. Wouldn't rule out the Ridgid completely, but it's not on my radar scope at the moment. Anything else I need to look at? I know Festool is coming out with a new one, but I already know it will be out of range pricewise.
Thanks for any insights you can give about the XCI capability on these units! Jim.

Gary Herrmann
06-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't know that I'd describe my Bosch as having a ZCI, but it does have an insert that can be adjusted pretty closely to the blade. I think most scms's are like that. I suspect you could make one, but I'm not sure it would be necessary, but thats just my opinion.

Fwiw, I've been extremely happy with my 12" Bosch. Blade was dead on for straight, bevel and miter out of the box. Good luck in your decision making process.

Tom Henderson2
06-17-2007, 11:41 AM
<snip>
I wasn't happy with the DeWalt 10" I played with, but won't count it out. I grabbed the handle and made the cutting motion. The plastic blade guard took a nice smooth section right off my hand!

I had the same experience with the DeWalt. When the saw is in the "up" position, and you put your hand on the handle, your thumb naturally falls on the left side of the grip between the grip and the blade housing. Lots of space; in fact it appears to be designed for it.

But when you pull the saw down in a cutting motion, the guard retracts into the space where your thumb is, and ouch!

Perhaps you get used to it, and it may not be an issue if you own one. But it sure is bad human factors design.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Randy Denby
06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
This is the one instance where I'm glad I have the older Dewalt scm. I did make a zero clearance insert for mine....and it did help somewhat. Took alwhile as I had to route clearance rabbits for the screw holes.

Tom Solomon
06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I have a dewalt Slideing compound and with this one and all other miter saws I have had in the past as well as table saws I have made zero clearance inserts with Polypropylene. I started useing Polypropylene when I had a kickback that a piece hit me and the other piece bent my motor shaft.. the Polypropylene is very durable and easy to work with. Hope this helps..

Jim Becker
06-17-2007, 1:05 PM
While mine is a "regular" CMS, I also make ZCI for it out of 1/4" material; typically scrap wood so far. (I actually need to make a new one "as we speak"....)

The ZCI reduces chipping on the bottom of the cut as well as lessens the chance of a small part shifting and getting thrown around.