PDA

View Full Version : Met a Creeker today and Gloats ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-11-2004, 4:55 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Ted Calver in Newport News today. Ted had offered me a couple pieces of holly he had on hand and I readily jumped on it. I drove over this afternoon to pick it up. Ted gave me a tour of his workshop ( I apologize for drooling all over his 24" Laguna BS)and displayed some of his turnings for me. He has some beautiful stuff!

After he'd helped load up the holly (easily 18-20" diameter) (Gloat # 1), he offered a couple pieces of Bradford Pear that were just as big! (Gloat # 2) I can't wait to get these turned. He showed me some pieces he did out of the pear and they were gorgeous. Before I left, he gave me a small mushroom turned box made out of some apple wood he had. These things are cool! I've turned quite a few boxes, but not in the mushroom shape. I hope he doesn't mind me showing it off here, but I think it's worthy of some attention. Thanks for everything Ted. I think fellow woodworkers are the most generous people I've ever met, both in materials and knowledge. Thanks to all of you.

Jason Roehl
01-11-2004, 5:23 PM
A mushroom box---now THAT'S COOL. Looks real good.

Mark Singer
01-11-2004, 6:02 PM
a circumcised mushroom box!

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-11-2004, 6:05 PM
.......Only in California................. :rolleyes:

Kevin Beck
01-11-2004, 8:34 PM
.......Only in California................. :rolleyes:

Nope, this affects Florida too. I thought the same as Mr. Singer on first glance. Had to look a little bit closer to see the shroom.

Cool turning, got to get a lathe one of these days.

Kevin

James Carpenter
01-11-2004, 9:28 PM
Now everytime Ron looks at the mushroom box he's going to think about Mark's comment:)
P.S. - I thought the same thing:)

Ted Calver
01-11-2004, 9:54 PM
Ron,
Thanks for the kind words. Enjoyed meeting you today and hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of those blanks.

The rest of you guys are way off base. This mushroom was turned by a landscaper using a Glaser bowl gouge....everybody knows that to be officially circumcised a mushroom has to be turned by a moehl using an izmail and you use the little piece that gets cut off for kindling!!! :D :D

Mark Singer
01-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Yes Ted,
technically correct and if you do it in the back of a Buick La Sabre while its being driven...."puifect!"