PDA

View Full Version : Caul for Help.....

Marc Prudhomme
06-16-2007, 9:18 PM
Hello fellow Creekers,
Does anyone have any easy tricks on using cauls with the joist in your basement.I am glueing some hardwood flooring on top of a workbench and I want nice equal pressure through the whole strip while the glue sets.I seem to remember reading somewhere about using pipe clamps
Marc

Jamie Buxton
06-16-2007, 10:18 PM
One trick is the go-stick. Cut a stick slightly longer than the distance from the workbench to the joist overhead. Bend it to a slight C shape so it is short enough to fit between the workbench and the ceiling, and put it in place. As the stick tries to straighten out, it exerts a great deal of force on the bench. Experiment with the thickness of the stick and the length until you get a force that you like. Make lots of such sticks, and you can put lots of force on the bench. A nice feature is that you can put clamping force in the middle of a large panel, where ordinary clamps can't reach.

Warning: the ceiling must be able to stand the force. Sheetrock won't do. Joists and the subfloor above will do.

David DeCristoforo
06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
"...the ceiling must be able to stand the force..."

...and you want to be careful not to push the house off the foundation....

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM
"...the ceiling must be able to stand the force..."

...and you want to be careful not to push the house off the foundation....

Or the earth out of it's orbit.

Jim Becker
06-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Silly wabbits... :D

------
Marc, as I see it, you can do what you want to do no problem--wedges can give you some nice pressure. If there is sheet rock, your "cauls" should have a wide foot that will most certainly span more than one joist to avoid issues. And you'll want that at the bottom anyway to spread the pressure out.

Marc Prudhomme
06-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Or the earth out of it's orbit.
Funny as hell

Art Mann
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I use a small hydraulic jack and a 4X4 post that is a little shorter than the distance from my workbench surface to a support beam running the length of my shop. You have to be pretty careful as even this little jack can exert a lot more force than you need and can damage things.