PDA

View Full Version : lacquer fogging

jason lambert
06-16-2007, 8:08 PM
I was almost done with a project when it thunderstormed. So I waited till it was over and went back out side to spray my final coat of lacquer. After I sprayed it it has a white haze to it. Figured it was the solvents and the humidity and would just dry out, kind of how water base poly becomes clear when it dryes. However it has been several hours and the haze is still there and even the areas that seem dry now are not the gloss finish.

What happened? How do I fix it without totally resanding the project?

Steve Clardy
06-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Try shooting some straight lacquer thinner over the top of it.
Lightly

jason lambert
06-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Shot some over it looked good till it dryed, then some of the fog came back, I can only think that it has moisture trapped. I also tried just shotting another coat on top and it also fogged the new coat. I am screwed me think... I will just have to play with the thinner.

John C. Wilson
06-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Jason, when you have high humidity.I usually keep my spray room closed up in this type of wheather. Every now and then I will run a dehumidifier for a couple of hours before I spray and even between times that I spray.You can also add a small amount of lacquer retarder to your spray. The retarder slows down your drying time and this gives the moisture some time to evaparate. Either way with some dryer air and another light coat you should be fine...........Good luck!!!!..........John

Jack Briggs
06-17-2007, 2:19 PM
+1 on the retarder. Behlen's makes a Blush Eraser, which is basically a retarder thinner in a can. I've had hazed lacquer on humid spraying days that didn't come out until I sprayed either Blush Eraser or a thinner/retarder mixture (~ 10% retarder) and it will literally go away before your eyes!

jason lambert
06-17-2007, 8:20 PM
This Qualalacq Lacquer is a pian in the butt... I whiped my project down with the thinner and re sanded it. Today it is not so bad a bit hot 80 deg and the sun just went down. Some humidity but not bad, shot another coat and again light fogging :mad: guess I will order the Blush Eraser and retarder another 2 days wased and a ton of cash on this Behlen's stuff.

Larry Fox
06-19-2007, 3:54 PM
Try putting some radiant heat over the project and see if that helps. I had shellac blush on me once and a few halogen lights for a few hours seemed to clear it up. They don't have to be real close but close enough to heat it up a bit (2 feet away should do it). Try it on an inconspicuous
part if you can first though.

I also found this link online that might help. If it gets deleted for whatever reason google lacquer blush

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Controlling_Lacquer_Blushing.html