PDA

View Full Version : Source for sharpening planer blades?

Dick Holt
06-16-2007, 7:56 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source for sharpening planer blades (12")? I thought that Forrest did, but there was no mention of planer blades on their website. Thanks.

Dick

Dave Watkins
06-16-2007, 8:11 PM
Don't remember seeing planer/jointer blades list on Forrest, but here is another NJ company I have heard good things about but no first hand knowledge:

http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/sharpening.php?osCsid=88253d39cabb2a5a6b68504e49bc 2310

I'm going to get them a try next time, probably in the Winter when my woodworking season comes to an end.

Let us know who you choose and how it works out.

Dave

Jim King
06-16-2007, 8:20 PM
Why dont you buy your own sharpener ? There are several on the market that pay for them selves in no time. No waiting and no trying to just run a few more boards thru on a dull blade.
This is typical :
http://blogs.toolbarn.com/brianm/2006/04/planer-blade-sharpener.html

I think I paid about $180 for mine a few years ago and use it at least twice a day. They are excellent.

Bruce Wrenn
06-16-2007, 9:47 PM
Try Dynamic Saw in Buffallo NY (Dynamicsaw.com) Several of our local group have used them and were very pleased. Including shipping, they are cheaper than local places.

Dick Holt
06-17-2007, 4:47 PM
I will try one of the companies that your recommended for now and look into the sharpening machines for later.
Dick

Jeff Miller
06-17-2007, 5:30 PM
Yellow Pages

JEFF;)

Bruce Wrenn
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Yellow Pages

JEFF;)Unfortunately, I can pay the freight both ways to Dynamic plus sharpening, cheaper than having them done locally. An $8.95 flat rate box will hold several 10" saw blades along with a set of knives. When I have them done locally, I have to drive twenty miles each way, using gas which isn't free. That's a total of eighty miles which equals about four gallons of gas at $2.89 a gallon. Also lose two hours of production time. When I'm in PO, I pick up a flat rate box. Fill it, address it and give the wife a check for $8.95, then she carries it to PO, which is five minutes from my house. Postman drops them on the porch of my rental house next door upon return. He can get out of and back into his truck, before the dogs get there. Or he pulls up to my porch and tosses them out window quickly drawing his hand back in. Good dogs- 27 years here and no thefts. One hundred and eighty pounds of dogs are a great deterent to theft.

Brent Dowell
06-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Holy Crap! Thats a lot of dog power..

I just moved from the city to where my nearest neighbors are a ways away. I like it that way.

Just wish I could get my dogs to get up off their fat A$$es to let me know when Brown is stopping by to deliver more toys, I mean, of course, important tools...

I've found out the hard way though that since I have to go to a 'community' rural mail box, that it's no good for me to go with USPS. I've got about a 25 mile 1 way trip to the nearest post office, so if it doesn't fit in the box, I've got a long drive ahead of me.

For that reason, I'm using the more expensive shipping options, cause Brown and the rest of the gang will drive right to my door (lucky if my dogs even hear them ring the bell) but USPS will just politley give me a little notice flipping me the finger saying 'Sorry, Too big for the box'....

Just to keep this on topic, I've got a box of blades I'm getting ready to send and fidn this thread very helpful!