PDA

View Full Version : Small Box

dennis kranz
06-16-2007, 5:49 PM
The one thing about being a new turner is that you have a whole lot of firsts. But I guess you have to start some where. This is a piece of Walnut that I got from John Hart a while back. I didn't think I would be able to get it finished because of a large crack. At first I was going to toss it and then I thought you guys turn large bowls with all kinds of holes in them and this is just a crack. 2 1/2 inchs wide and 2 inchs tall and the finishing needs a lot of work.
Thanks for looking
Dennis

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2007, 7:19 PM
Nice job Dennis. What's wrong with the finish? Looks fine.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2007, 7:57 PM
Nice looking box Dennis. I agree with Ernie what is wrong with the finish? Looks good to me.

Keith Burns
06-16-2007, 8:07 PM
Nice box Dennis, nice form, detail, fit and yes, even the finish looks good !

Jerry Pittman
06-16-2007, 8:50 PM
Great start, Dennis

Curt Fuller
06-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I've got to agree with everyone else, that's a nice looking box. I like the detail inside the lid too.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Looks good to me Dennis. Nice box!

joe greiner
06-17-2007, 8:11 AM
Nice looking work, Dennis. Good utilization of the grain. And the finesse inside the lid separates it from the ho-hum. I don't know what you could add to the finishing.

Cracks and other such "defects" can present an opportunity for a "design feature." Some favorite infills for small cracks are turquoise powder, brass filings (from a key shop), various forms of coffee grounds (fresh, used, instant), copper powder, etc., packed into the crack and then secured with CA. For large cracks and excavated bark inclusions, I've used a "mortar" of epoxy and fresh coffee grounds - the soluble part dissolves in the epoxy, and the harder part (usually lighter) goes along for the ride. After sanding, it almost looks like small-scale terrazzo.

Joe

Mark Cothren
06-17-2007, 1:05 PM
Nice little box, Dennis! Keep 'em comin'!

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2007, 9:50 PM
Nice looking box Dennis! Good form, detail work on the lid and I also agree with everyone else - finish looks fine. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!