PDA

View Full Version : Apolic aluminum composite-engraving test

Larry Bratton
06-16-2007, 4:07 PM
Apolic is an aluminum composite manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemical Company. It can be used for many different things. It is mainly used in the building industry. It comes in several different varieties, colors and finishes. It is 2 very thin pieces of aluminum that have been finished with a very sophisticated printing process and bonded to a thermoplastic core.
I have used this material to make signs. I was curious to know how it would laser engrave. I did this sample of their Black Granite (large) with the speed and power noted on the photo. It engraved very well and actually is white (the composite underneath the thin aluminum) I did fill this with acrylic.
If someone needs a very very durable fire resistant material, this would be a good choice. It can be purchased from distributors. One source that I know of right off hand is Wrisco in Atlanta, Ga. I am sure their are others.
http://www.alpolic-usa.com/Products/AboutACM.html (http://www.alpolic-usa.com/Products/AboutACM.html)
Catawba River Sign & Specialty, Catawba,SC Epilog Ext 36 40watt,Vision 16x24 rotary,Warthog 50x100 CNC KM 5450 ,Corel X3, Enroute 3plus.

Shane Turner
06-16-2007, 4:22 PM
Thanks for the information Larry. That could come in handy in the future,

-Shane

Belinda Barfield
06-18-2007, 7:41 AM
Thanks Larry! Am just getting back on to the forum and noted your earlier post to me. Haven't responded to that one yet, but I will. I'm guessing this is the material you referred to in that post.

Larry Bratton
06-18-2007, 8:07 PM
Belinda:
Yes. This is the material I spoke about. Sorry I wasn't clear in my post.

Craig Hogarth
06-18-2007, 8:41 PM
what's the cost on this?

Joe Pelonio
06-18-2007, 11:11 PM
I use Alpolic a lot for signs, at my supplier it's been $85-150 for 3mm thick 4'x8' sheets. Aluminum is a commodity and the price changes frequently, in fact my supplier changes brands as the prices change to get us the best price.

Available also under the brand names Dibond, Alucobond, and Alumapanel in the U.K. (Different products but basically the same)

Larry Bratton
06-19-2007, 6:31 PM
Joe:
I looked at Alucabond by Alcan Aluminum and it's close but they didn't seem to have the depth in finishes that Mitsubishi does. But your right, pretty much the same. But it did engrave well.

Joe Pelonio
06-19-2007, 6:40 PM
BTW have you found a good way to cut it without sharp edges?

I can take it to a sheet metal shop and have them chop it on their
hydraulic guillotine shear, but on the table saw it always seems to leave rough spots.

Joe Pelonio
06-22-2007, 2:00 PM
I just called to order alpolic from my supplier for a sign job, and they have changed again. This time they are stocking a material that's 4mm PVC with aluminum on both sides. A lot cheaper, under $80 for a 4'x8'. I ordered a sheet so when it comes this afternoon I'll post the brand and any other details I find.

Maybe I'll cut a scrap to engrave, since the sign will only be 4'x6'.

Update - It arraived and looks like it will work great for what I need. Unfortunately it's a brand new product for Kommerling and currently available only in 4mm and white. Theyt say it will be made in other thicknesses "soon" but nothing about colors, though it can be painted. The price I was charged for the 4x8 was $76.34

http://www.kommerlingusa.com/komAlu/index.htm