PDA

View Full Version : Beauty is Vacuum Ready

Christopher K. Hartley
06-16-2007, 3:20 PM
All is running fine and she's anxious to go. Sorry pics are so bad but the battery is low and I haven't got replacements handy. Spent everything on Beauty I guess.:)

Pete Jordan
06-16-2007, 3:23 PM
Looks like you are in London.
Great setup!

Jim Becker
06-16-2007, 3:28 PM
Nice...always great to have the vacuum chuck ready and on-hand for when you need it!

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2007, 8:08 PM
Chris that looks like the setup of setups. Great looking setup. Now it is time to have fun.

dennis kranz
06-16-2007, 8:17 PM
Sure wish you lived close to me. Like to get a close up look at that machine. Your pictures have been great but being there is better. I would have to figure about half or more of the people here would vist.
Next your going to have to make your own movie.
Dennis

Christopher K. Hartley
06-17-2007, 5:57 AM
Sure wish you lived close to me. Like to get a close up look at that machine. Your pictures have been great but being there is better. I would have to figure about half or more of the people here would vist.
Next your going to have to make your own movie.
DennisI'm sure open to the visits. Bring your favorite tools, I've got the wood and give her a spin.:cool: :)

Paul Andrews
06-17-2007, 7:25 AM
Chris,

Great looking set up. Wish you the best with the new lathe, and look forward to the creations from it.

Try your set-up and see if you draw the amount of vacuum you need. If you find you are not generating as much vacuum as you think you should you might try a shorter and larger diameter piece of tubing between the headstock and the vacuum guage. If you try breathing through a short straw, no problem. The more you lengthen the straw the more difficult it will be to breath. The coiled air hose is probably 1/4" x 20' and might provide significant resistance.

Good luck.

Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2007, 1:15 PM
Uhhhh.....Christopher......I believe that this recent set of gloats are unestablished and unverified. As a result I think this calls for an Official SMC GLOAT VERIFICATION INSPECTION.:eek: :rolleyes: :D Therefore, I think a visit some time near the end of next week or early the following week is required....with an invite of course!:) Maybe even a test drive to verify proper functionality of said gloats!:D

Nancy Laird
06-17-2007, 1:23 PM
Ken, he already said he's open to visits--you just have to take your own tools.;)

Does this mean that you are headed to Texas next week? If so, might I suggest that you plan your route through Albuquerque????:cool:

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2007, 1:37 PM
Nancy.....We have a daughter who works for an airlines. We are flying standby to Houston to visit our youngest son and his wife. We have limited time there. I would love to visit Albuquerque again. I spent a couple of weeks there in the early '80s working at Lovelace Medical Center IIRC. I remember eating ribs at a place...IIRC "Charley's"?.....a father and son owned and operated .....had two places......excellent ribs....another place had the best huevos rancheros I've ever eaten. In my many travels, whenever I went to the SW part of the US, 2 weeks was all my stomach would handle........but boy is the food good!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-17-2007, 4:59 PM
Chris,

Great looking set up. Wish you the best with the new lathe, and look forward to the creations from it.

Try your set-up and see if you draw the amount of vacuum you need. If you find you are not generating as much vacuum as you think you should you might try a shorter and larger diameter piece of tubing between the headstock and the vacuum guage. If you try breathing through a short straw, no problem. The more you lengthen the straw the more difficult it will be to breath. The coiled air hose is probably 1/4" x 20' and might provide significant resistance.

Good luck.

PaulIt currently draws 24lbs 0n a pecan bowl. I need the hose length for headstock travel on outboards.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-17-2007, 5:03 PM
Uhhhh.....Christopher......I believe that this recent set of gloats are unestablished and unverified. As a result I think this calls for an Official SMC GLOAT VERIFICATION INSPECTION.:eek: :rolleyes: :D Therefore, I think a visit some time near the end of next week or early the following week is required....with an invite of course!:) Maybe even a test drive to verify proper functionality of said gloats!:DI was wondering if one of the Big Bass in the Creek were going to take the bait. Looking forward to your visit.:D :)