PDA

View Full Version : Estimating lumber for a fence

Charles Wilson
06-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I am making this fence this summer.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/home_clinic/1276551.html?page=1

I am in the process of pricing lumber. I was wondering how to estimate the total amount of wood that I am going to need for the fence. That way, I have an idea as to how much I am going to spend.

So, how do you estimate the amount of lumber that you will need. If there is an EZ way, can you let me know.

Thanks,
Chuck

Jim O'Dell
06-16-2007, 12:58 PM
What I did is measure the length of the fence I was building. If you make from scratch, like I do, instead of using the pre made panels, divide the length by 8. Take that number and add 1. Take that number and add 2 for each gate you will be installing. That gives you the number of posts you will need. I usually get one bag of concrete mix for each post. Take the number you divided by 8 and multiply it by the number of cross pieces you want to use. I use 3, others use 2. That will give you the number of 2X3s you need for the rails. Take the first measurement for the number of linear feet of fence, and divide that by 2 for 6" pickets,and by 3 for 4" pickets. Always get a few more than you think you will need. That should get you real close. Remember to get the proper screws or nails for the type of wood you are using!! Jim.