PDA

View Full Version : Amboyna Burl

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Was wondering if this would make a good canidate for a open vase? It is 4" X 4 1/8" X 9". It is kind of pricey but would like to make a open NE vase of it but didn't want to spend the money if it would turn out well. I didn't know if the slope would be a problem or not. Here is a couple of pictures. Thanks.

Barry Stratton
06-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I bet that is pricey:eek:

I'd think a ragged natural edge would turn out nice. I think Travis and Keith have made some neat looking stuff out of similar shaped burl (coolibah???)

Jim Becker
06-16-2007, 2:29 PM
Yes, a vase or vessel that would take advantage of the natural features at the top of that blank would be my choice!

Keith Burns
06-16-2007, 4:11 PM
Bernie, you've gone and done it now !!! Yup I'd make a natural edge vase/vessel. Be prepared though as this stuff is like concrete. Don't expect curls cause you won't get many. Sharpen tools often. You should be able to go to 1/8" walls as this stuff is rock solid. (based on my limited experience). Use your captive rig on the inside. Can't wait to see it finished !!

Andy Hoyt
06-16-2007, 5:26 PM
As the Honorable John Z. Hart would say, "Sheesh!"

Mr. Hoyt.......Are sure you're using the right word?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2007, 5:31 PM
Sorry about that .....I thought I was posting...not editing........:( :o

I don't know, Ken.

But I'm pretty sure that I first heard the word "Sheesh" when it poured outta his keyboard a couple of years ago.

Bill Wyko
06-16-2007, 6:52 PM
I'm seeing a NE champagne glass IMHO:)

Pete Jordan
06-16-2007, 6:53 PM
I'm sure you will do it justice if you buy it. It is a beautiful piece of wood!

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2007, 7:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I didn't want it bad enough. It went pretty high so will try another one. I guess this one I had better put a bigger bunch of cash on the line by the looks of how this wood is selling. We will see. I would like to make something like Travis did with his but I won't push it.

Keith Burns
06-16-2007, 8:00 PM
Bernie, Sorry you didn't get it. Look at Lee Tree Woodworks. He has the best selection and great prices too.

Travis Stinson
06-16-2007, 8:06 PM
Better luck next time Bernie. Be prepared to spend some $ though, Amboyna can get expensive. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2007, 8:07 PM
Thanks Keith but I am bidding on another. I guess if I really want it I will give her a go. I would really like to try one.

Bob Hallowell
06-17-2007, 7:45 AM
Bernie try contacting. Dwian Coats he is a seller on ebay. You can buy his stock there or email him. He sell's amboya and afzelia for 12lb . I perfer the afzelia as it never seems to check or move. But tthe amboya seems wetter and moves and checks. I just made an amboya pepper mill I will post next week.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2007, 9:29 PM
Thanks again for the comments and help. I did manage to get this one today. The LOML said get it whatever it takes. Boy did I jump on that but got it at a decent price. Now if I just don't mess it up.

Gary Herrmann
06-17-2007, 9:39 PM
Wow. Can't wait to see the finished product.