PDA

View Full Version : Made the move....AK to MN

Barry Stratton
06-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Spent 6 days on the road driving from Anchorage to Fergus Falls, for a total of almost 3,300 miles. Gas prices in Canada sure were a shock:eek: . Saw some incredible scenery, lots of wildlife (and roadkill:D ), and had a good time. I could of swore I saw Ken, Bernie, and Corey along side the road at one point, but I'll let you be the judge;)

The container arrived Tuesday and I got it unloaded in about 4 hours. We've been unpacking, buying new stuff, installing stuff, putting stuff together, and having a grand time. The lawn tractor works good and my personal driver is loving it.

Retirement life is great, I think.....haven't had any down time yet! Hope you enjoy the pics.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Twarn't me.....I"m clean shaven.....Must have been Andy...Corey and Bernie:D

Congrats Barry! Hope things continue to go well for you!

Karl Laustrup
06-16-2007, 6:30 AM
Welcome back to the lower 48 Barry. :)

I hope that road in the pic was the worst of the ones you traveled? :eek: Can't make very good time on a road like that, especially pulling a trailer.

I agree with Ken, I think one of them looks like Andy. But which one? ;) :D

I'm sure that JD will give you years of great service. Mine has. 13 years mowing, rototilling, moving snow, it gets used all year long.

Karl

David Wilson
06-16-2007, 6:55 AM
Barry
Welcome to Minnesota. We're almost neighbors.

Art Mulder
06-16-2007, 8:12 AM
Spent 6 days on the road driving from Anchorage to Fergus Falls, for a total of almost 3,300 miles. Gas prices in Canada sure were a shock:eek:

Yeah, but we've got Universal Healthcare, so after you get a heart attack from filling your tank, you're covered... :p:cool:

And if that is you in the last photo then I'm jealous. You look way too young to be retired! (At 42, I haven't even begun to think about retirement!)

...art

Jim Becker
06-16-2007, 9:50 AM
Congrats on your move to "warmer" climates!! :D :D :D

Andy Hoyt
06-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Twarn't me.....I"m clean shaven.....Must have been Andy...Corey and Bernie:D

Congrats Barry! Hope things continue to go well for you! Nope. weren't me. I know to stand up wind of them two guys, especially when they're....

Dennis Peacock
06-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome home to the lower 48 Barry!!!! Nice lawn ride you got there. Cute looking female driver. ;)

Ed Garrett
06-16-2007, 1:24 PM
Congratulations Barry. You've moved from one beautiful place to another. Do you have sufficient time to set up a warm workshop before winter sets in? I've visited Anchorage and Southern AK once. Being a geologist, I would find it hard to move away. Good luck with your new life.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee, FL

Ben Grunow
06-16-2007, 8:36 PM
Congrats and enjoy. You are very lucky to be retired at your age. I am 32 and that is something that, as of now, I just hope I make it to.

Fergus Falls is really nice (might be warmer for you but cold as far as I am concerned), I dont think I have ever met nicer people. My Aunt is from there and I visited when I was younger for their wedding.

Congratulations.

Ben Grunow

Barry Stratton
06-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys....we are loving it here. I agree with the "friendly people" comment wholeheartedly.

Yep, that was the worst stretch of road - between Beaver Creek and Kluane Lake.

I should have time to get a warm workshop set-up.......there's a 24x36 steel building and the front half is fully insulated. It does need a thorough cleaning, some electrical work, better lights, paint, better stove, and to be filled with tools:D

Neighbor Dave....we'll have to get together soon as I get the house squared away.

And my driver was hard at it today for about 3 hours while I sat back and drank ice tea;)

Al Willits
06-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Either we need a Minn creeker meet, or ya get close to Mpls give me a shout, usually a cold one in the fridge.

Al

Curt Fuller
06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Welcome back Barry!

Tyler Howell
06-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Welcome Home Barry, to the land of 10,000 taxes:rolleyes:

Ken Werner
06-18-2007, 1:28 PM
Glad to hear you're back and posting again. You have to tell the rest of us how you're passing your retirement time.
All the best,
Ken