PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Help

Scott Felicetti
06-15-2007, 6:40 PM
I'm working with resawing Hard Maple and Poplar Boards down to 1/8" and 1/16" veneers. Any recommendations on a brand and model of drum sander to run the veneers through to guaranty thickness? The machine must accept veneers less than 1/8" thick to get them down even to 1/16". There are a few Grizzly 24" drum sanders up on ebay now that are approximately $600. However, they say they accept up to a minimum thickness of 1/8" not less.
thank you in advance for any assistance.
Scott

Richard Wolf
06-15-2007, 6:52 PM
I have a Shop Fox 26" sander. If I have to get that thin, (1/16) I use a piece of 3/4" ply as a sled. I instant glue a strip of the veneer to the bottom edge of the ply to hold it in place from sliding backwards.

Richard

Tom Cowie
06-15-2007, 9:38 PM
I'm working with resawing Hard Maple and Poplar Boards down to 1/8" and 1/16" veneers. Any recommendations on a brand and model of drum sander to run the veneers through to guaranty thickness? The machine must accept veneers less than 1/8" thick to get them down even to 1/16". There are a few Grizzly 24" drum sanders up on ebay now that are approximately $600. However, they say they accept up to a minimum thickness of 1/8" not less.
thank you in advance for any assistance.
Scott

Hi Scott,

I have a DDS-225 Powermatic dual drum sander that will sand veneers along with other projects ( panels and tops). It does a fine job and I would highly recommend one.

A drum sander will leave linear scratches that will clean up nicely with a ROS sander. More $$$$ and you get into the Wide belt oscillating machines that are extremely nice. ( Timesaver)

Veneering is still new to me , I still like to make solid wood projects. I have seen the benefits of resawing and making veneer to extend the limits of a one of a kind board, but I have lots to learn.

PS; I like Richards idea alot!

Tom