PDA

View Full Version : Scooterboard, a good find in material?

Scott Shepherd
06-15-2007, 2:20 PM
I've been looking for something that will hold up outside that's not metal, so I can cut it with the laser. So far, my search has been only moderately successful. However, at the trade show last week, there was a guy in a booth with only one product. It was called "Scooterboard".

It looks like mdf sandwiched between two pieces of formica. It's about 3/16" thick (actually around .200"). He had samples that had been completely submerged in water for a month and showed no signs of swelling or breaking down and coming apart.

I asked him if you could laser it and he pulled out a couple of samples with all the laser manufacturers logos on them. He said you can put vinyl on it, laser it and color fill it, or just about anything else you wanted to do.

I forgot to ask him how it vector cut.

I researched it a little on the internet and most people seem pretty positive about it.

It's quite cheap as well. It runs less than $4 for an 18" x 24" piece. It just came in, I put some text and a shape on it and hit the button. It engraves beautifully. Nice and sharp edges and all the smoke damage from vector cutting wipes right off, clean as a whistle (how clean is a whistle anyway?).

It comes in a variety of colors as long as they are white :)

Attached is a quick sample of it.

The website is http://www.woodcraftmanufacturing.com . I won't recommend a supplier because I wasn't thrilled with the people I got it from, but either look around or call these people and see if it's something you might use.

I don't know if it'll end up being what I was looking for, but from this first cutting of it, I can say that I REALLY REALLY like the way it cuts. I think my vector speed was 9 or 10 with power of 100% and it clearly cut through, so I can start bumping up the speed from there. Rastered at 60S/80P and it just cut through the outside surface. Might go up on power a little.

Anyone else tried it?

Roy Brewer
06-16-2007, 1:12 PM
I can say that I REALLY REALLY like the way it cuts.Scott,
Thanks for the tip. The URL you posted gave very little information; is that from whom you bought it?
I tried to google it and came up with nothing. How did you research it? Were you able to come up with a list of distributors?
On your photograph, was that cut out with your 45watt Epilog?

Carol VanArnam
06-16-2007, 3:10 PM
I just found 1 source for the material. I would like to find someone out here in Washington that sells the stuff..... Prices look pretty good.

http://www.rjsign.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSS&Category_Code=SCOOTER

Scott Shepherd
06-16-2007, 7:45 PM
Roy, I didn't list the source, which was RJ Sign. They bothered me a little when I ordered it, as it gives a price for 1-9 sheets on their online store, and it openly lets you buy 1-9 sheets. After ordering it, I got an email from someone there telling me I had to buy a minimum of 10 sheets.

I thought that was a less than professional way to sell something. If it's available in 10 sheets on more, then change your website to reflect it.

Yes, I did cut it out with the 45 watt machine. It clearly cut all the way through with ease. If you want to try it, I have no problem cutting something like a 8" x 10" piece and stuffing it in a padded envelope and mailing you a sample. I'll do that for a couple people, if you want, but don't want to get into having to mail a dozen of them out.

If you're interested, post on this thread and let me know. I'll limit it to 3 or 4 people who are really interested.

Clyde Baumwell
06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I tried it yesterday. It engraves beutifully, color fill was great since the white surface is very resistent to stain. But it was very difficult to cut-a lot of flameing and hard permanent residue.

Scott Shepherd
06-17-2007, 8:33 AM
But it was very difficult to cut-a lot of flameing and hard permanent residue.

Really? I didn't have any flaming issues and all residue wiped right off with a cloth and citrus based cleaner, for me. What settings did you use and what wattage machine did you use?

Joe Pelonio
06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Anyone know anything about this supplier?

http://www.woodcraftmanufacturing.com/hardboard-laminate-phenolic-products.html

Clyde Baumwell
06-18-2007, 7:55 AM
Hi Scott
I have a 30 watt ULS and had to make 2 passes at 50% power and a speed of 1.5. Note however I have no air assist which contributes to the problem. I was surprised that the residue didn't wipe off also.
Clyde

Scott Shepherd
06-18-2007, 8:20 AM
Joe, that's the people who make it.

c - Gotcha, that makes sense on why we had two different experiences.

Mark Winlund
06-18-2007, 3:41 PM
Denco Sales is the distributor in Portland, Oregon. You can reach them at 503-235-0460.

Mark

Roy Brewer
06-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I'll do that for a couple people, if you want, but don't want to get into having to mail a dozen of them out.Scott,

An offer I can't refuse! If I'm still below your limit, please send me a sample of it:
Roy Brewer
Engraving Concepts
311 W ABram St
Arlington TX 76010

I still can't figure out how you guys are finding suppliers; the manufacturer doesn't seem to list them. Anybody see a Texas area supplier on a list?

jack Halley
06-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Scott,

I still can't figure out how you guys are finding suppliers; the manufacturer doesn't seem to list them. Anybody see a Texas area supplier on a list?

Roy,
if you email Jim Graham woodcraft@fuse.net
with your address He will give you the nearest distributer.
I'm waiting for a reply from him now.

jack Halley
Forsyth, Mo.

Pinnacle M 30w

Anthony Welch
07-12-2007, 1:49 PM
This is probably old news, but I got a quick reply this morning from Jim Lindsey at "ScooterBoards" and this link is to a company that distributes in several cities in Texas, also New Orleans and Atlanta.

http://www.reecesupply.com/

Roy Brewer
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
to a company that distributes in several cities in TexasAnthony,
Thanks for the effort, but as soon as Steve(Scott) started this discussion I logged on to their web site and left them a message and never got a response.

I know they are a huge company and probably expect that if someone is not willing to download their huge catalog and find it themselves they probably are not the customers they want. So, we found other sources.

Bill Stein
07-13-2007, 8:19 AM
Roy,

Who are the sources you located?

Bill

Brian Conklin
07-13-2007, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the information on this product. I called the company and found a supplier in my state (Michigan)....Wensco Sign Supply.

Ordered three 18 x 24 sheets at $4.19 each...:)

Can't wait to give it a try

Brian

Abdul Baseer Hai
07-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Roy,
Can you please tell me the other sources you found for the Scooter Board.
Abdul