PDA

View Full Version : What adhesive to use for a door skin?

Tom Banwell
06-15-2007, 1:30 PM
I need to cover a painted closet door with a luan door skin, but can't figure out what kind of adhesive to use, or how to clamp it all evenly with my limited number of clamps. How are these normally attached? Thanks.

Bruce Collins
06-15-2007, 2:39 PM
I would use contact cement. People use it for sheets of laminates which seems like a similar situation and no clamps are required - just make sure its where you want it since there is no second chance.

Bruce

Clint Winterhalter
06-15-2007, 2:39 PM
I've used contact cement to put luan veneers on door before. The veneer is usually over-sized so you can trim it to fit once glued down with a router and a flush cut bit..

Stuff stink to high heavens / use it in a well ventilated area. If you don't have a veneer roller. Grab a rolling pin from the kitchen...

Good luck..
Clint

Bill Wyko
06-15-2007, 3:42 PM
Weldwood contact cement. Typically sold to upholstery shops. You can spray it in a gun or roll it on. If you're in Tucson contact me I'll give you some.:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-15-2007, 5:04 PM
follow the directions you may need a double coat on the wood if it soaks it all up

Tom Banwell
06-15-2007, 5:42 PM
Thanks to all. Seems so obvious now, don't know why I didn't think of it!:confused: