PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring a 3 phase machine

Dwain Lambrigger
06-15-2007, 1:02 PM
Is it worth it? I found a clausing 20 speed 1.5 horse drill press for $225 dollars. It looks to be in good shape, however I don't run this at my workshop. I don't really know enough to ask intelligent questions, so please give me your advice.

Thanks for your continued help!

Dwain

Steven Wilson
06-15-2007, 1:55 PM
Rewire???? If you don't have 3 phase in your shop then you can swap out the motor with a single phase (and redo the electricals), install a rotary phase converter (nice but pricey), install a static phase converter (loose some power but that might not be a problem), or install a VFD (fairly reasonable price) which will not only do the 1phase, 3phase conversion but give you variable speed control.

Brian Walter
06-15-2007, 2:10 PM
For those of use without and EE degree, what is a VFD? and where would one get one?

Bruce Volden
06-15-2007, 2:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

Should get an idea from this. Still looks like too much additional "stuff" for me to deal with:confused: :confused:

Bruce

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2007, 3:11 PM
For $225 I would look elswhere for a DP unless you simply "have to have" the Clausing. I say this because you will either need to replace the motor and switch with a single phase version or install a phase converter. In the first case, you will probably double the cost of the DP and in the second case, increase it by a factor of five or more. You can get "static" phase converters that are dedicated to one machine only or a "rotary" converter which would provide a 3PH power option for your whole shop. In either case, you will lose (+/-) 25% of the motor's rated HP to the conversion. The "up side" is that you can get some good deals on 3PH equipment and if you did install a converter your tool buying options would be much greater.

Steven Wilson
06-15-2007, 6:02 PM
You can get a 2hp VFD to go from 230 1phase to 230 3phase for $150 or so (ebay or surplus) and it would do the conversion. Of course you need to use the On/Off of the VFD or wire up a decent remote but that's a bit more involved (not much, just depends how afraid of electrical devices are you). The neat thing with the VFD is that by delving into the VFD and wiring up a pot you'll have an electronically variable speed drill press - which is a wonderful thing to have. Basically a decent project. First get a VFD to take care of the electical conversion, then work at making a nice variable speed drill press as you learn more about the operation and programming of the VFD.

Rick Lizek
06-15-2007, 7:47 PM
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f
You can get a new VFD from Factorymation for $145 and get full power, soft start, as well as doubling your motors speed so it's a no brainer. It becomes the switch as well. Get the Clausing...it's a better drill press than you find for the money even after adding a VFD. The VFD is the preferred way of most shops for Bridgeports, shapers, drill presses.

A rotary will give full power but won't have the bells and whistles of the VFD and cost more. It's the static that gives reduced power, not the rotary.

Richard Butler
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.196/.f
You can get a new VFD from Factorymation for $145 and get full power, soft start, as well as doubling your motors speed so it's a no brainer. It becomes the switch as well. Get the Clausing...it's a better drill press than you find for the money even after adding a VFD. The VFD is the preferred way of most shops for Bridgeports, shapers, drill presses.

A rotary will give full power but won't have the bells and whistles of the VFD and cost more. It's the static that gives reduced power, not the rotary.

What Rick said. Anyone that knows drill presses would give some serious money for a Clausing. It is worth getting a VFD for it. Check the bearings, replace if necessary and you will be good for at least 20 years.