PDA

View Full Version : A matter of estate security--We have a mole

mark page
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Anyone know how to get rid of a mole? Now this is not an ordinary mole. I will give credit where credit is due, and this rascal can do eight feet a day in MY yard. Now my yard is compacted clay and I can't do eight feet a day with a trecher and bobcat...lol. Plus he penetrated the impenatrable NORAD system of nylon mesh of sod backing. This means he must have come from the vacant lot next door and tunneled under it. This mole has to be half badger to dig in this stuff. I have tried all the over the counter DIY stuff and he's laughing at it. Any other time I would say live and let live and he could aerate my yard for me, but he's consistently heading towards the veggie garden and I can't have that one. So I keep playing whack-a-mole on his tunnels and he just keeps detouring back for more. I don't have any old timers left in my family to ask for a home remedy for this critter and I don't happen to remember any either. The closest one is caustic lye and water for snake holes. But I don't want to kill all the grass in my yard either. Anyone have any ideas?????

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Mark....Moles eat grubs. You might try treating your lawn with some pesticides that will take care of the grub population. Remove the food supply, the mole should move on....?

mark page
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Well I don't have a grub problem at all. Maybe thats why he's making so much yardage in a day looking for them. I can't even get earthworms to stay in the yard except for the garden and raised flower beds. I import worms whenever I can from rainy days and walking the streets in longer established areas. You can't get too many worms to help you out with the ground. Natural little aerators and fertilizers they are. Any more idea's???

Nancy Laird
06-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I've been told that if you put mothballs in the tunnels, he'll run for another yard.

Here's a link to a page on "Effective Mole Control." http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html It doesn't mention mothballs, but here's another that does, but it isn't encouraging: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74115.html

Looks like traps are the best way to go.

Nancy

Mike Cutler
06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
If it reuses the same tunnels, just get a mole trap. It's a spring loaded set of spikes that are set over a flattened area of the tunnel.
When the mole has to redig the tunnel,pressure on a bail releases the trap, and you have skewered mole. Hopefully.

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Mark,

My dad alway said to light a road flare and put it in the tunnel. It would gas the mole or use up all the air and suffocate him. He said it always worked for for him.

Roger

mark page
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks Nancy,
It says without a food source he might move on after a week or two. I will give the little critter some time before I implore the explosives approach. lol. Can't believe they listed that one as a resource, although I can see some people getting frustrated and trying it. lol.

Joe Pelonio
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I've tried the road flare, doesn't work. I have also tried human hair in the hole,
dog hair, water hose, and an odd mixture that someone recommended with castor oil in it.

I used to have good luck mixing 2 tablespoons malathion with 2 gallons water in a 5 gallon bucket and pouring in the holes, it smells nasty and drives them away, but they don't sell it anymore here.

Finally I found one that worked, from a local master gardener.

Two years ago I tried it and so far they have not returned. I'll preface this with it being something that moves them away, so either the neighbors will get them or they will go to anohther spot in your yard.

Take fresh mint leaves, lots of them, and place in a pot of water. A big pot like used for spaghetti.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer one hour.

Let cool overnight.

In the morning run a bit at a time through a food processor to pulverize.

Pour some down every hole that you can find. Better yet find a tunnel between holes and pour in there too.

Hopefully you have a mint plant in the garden and don't have to buy it.

mark page
06-15-2007, 1:04 PM
Dang, don't have a mint plant but do have a sage plant. That'll probably just get the little bugger ready for thanksgiving dressing. lol.

Belinda Barfield
06-15-2007, 1:29 PM
How 'bout a cat?

Greg Cole
06-15-2007, 1:29 PM
I've had moles on & off for a few years thanks to a rental property that goes vacant occasionally.... the ONLY thing I've had goold luck with on my own is the aluminum spikes ya put C batteries in and it emits a high pitch squeek and vibration, I think they're called "Mole-a-way"? Most BORG's have'em.
The insecticides didn't work & I have kids around all the time so I don't like poisoning the yard... the mole spray & pellets are a waste. I had a coworkers grandfather come over and trap a bunch a few years ago... but he's no longer around.
I've reseeded the entire lawn twice because of the little suckers, since I bought a few of the mole away things.... I've seen no more evidence of the little digging rats. Just need to check that they're still working ever so often & change batteries....

Good luck.
Greg

mark page
06-15-2007, 1:40 PM
Hah!!! maybe the no food approach worked, just inspected the yard and my neighbors have an effel tower out of dirt in their yard. Maybe they are moving on. I doubt if they find food over their either. They don't take as good care of their yard as I do, but does not appear that they have grubs either. Thanks to all.

Joe Mioux
06-15-2007, 2:33 PM
Unless, you are using a trap and moving the trap every day or twice a day, the chances of getting rid of them is slim.

Joe

btw: The best pesticides are made by Winchester and Remington

Jeffrey Fusaro
06-15-2007, 3:09 PM
baits and poisons rarely work.

you need to trap/kill them with the standard spring loaded spike, or go this route.

check this out...

http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm

Randy Denby
06-15-2007, 3:13 PM
I have dealt with these things for years now....Tried everything it seems. So far the best way has been a hammer. I'll watch for any movement or fresh tunnels, morning is the best time to do this. As soon as I see movement, I'll grab a hammer and strike. I've killed 6 in the last year or so doing this. Of course...I also killed my sprinkler line last week too :rolleyes: I've heard they can have 2-3 pups , up to 4 times a year. I must have a large den somewhere close.

David Epperson
06-15-2007, 4:31 PM
Another "old wives tale" I've heard is that moles do not like garlic. Not sure how true that is but we've always had garlic around and never had moles.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-15-2007, 5:03 PM
Take 20 pound can of propane regulator and a hose, inject the Propane into the mole holes, and toss a road flare at the opening from about 20 feet away.

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2007, 5:36 PM
"So far the best way has been a hammer..."

I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun but never on Sunday morning. Sticks of black powder are also fun....

Doug Shepard
06-15-2007, 5:48 PM
How 'bout a cat?

No thanks. They just give me gas.:D

Seriously - I was going to suggest either that or a dog. Both my cats and my dog have been doing a bangup job keeping the shrew population down. Dont know where they came from but the last few years there have been a lot of shrews around here. They're smaller than moles, but a mole shouldn't be a problem for either cats or dogs.

Roger Bell
06-15-2007, 9:34 PM
Traps are what works best in this country. I use scissor traps that are placed below ground. They must be set correctly and placed on a main run. Whenever I have a problem, I use several traps....rather than counting on just one and due diligence is necessary when trapping. I have about a dozen traps. Eventually, moles return and more trapping is necessary. I have to set traps 3-4 times during the spring/summer fall. And sometimes they just leave on their own or perhaps are taken by predators. They key is to trap when you first encounter the problem rather than waiting for an infestation.

Ben West
06-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Moth balls effectively repel one critter. Yep, you guessed it, moths.

They don't work on snakes, rats, mice, bats, squirrels, raccoons, voles, or moles. Heck, not only do they not work, but they're not even legal! (Google the "Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act")

But don't worry, they still do a great job keeping moths out of your clothes!

mark page
06-16-2007, 6:02 AM
I have dealt with these things for years now....Tried everything it seems. So far the best way has been a hammer. I'll watch for any movement or fresh tunnels, morning is the best time to do this. As soon as I see movement, I'll grab a hammer and strike. I've killed 6 in the last year or so doing this. Of course...I also killed my sprinkler line last week too :rolleyes: I've heard they can have 2-3 pups , up to 4 times a year. I must have a large den somewhere close.

I know in your yard that is not funny, but from across the fence, now that is funny. This could coin and new phrase called "jumpin the hammer" lol.

mark page
06-16-2007, 6:11 AM
baits and poisons rarely work.

you need to trap/kill them with the standard spring loaded spike, or go this route.

check this out...

http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm (http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm)

Now that video is funny. Kind of like a legal "CADDYSHACK" version of Bill Murray and the gopher.