PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail router

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-11-2004, 9:00 AM
This morning I have some dovetails to cut...so yesterday on our 'trip to town' I was looking for a dedicated router. I'm the lazy sort, and it's worth $150 to me to put the bit in, set the depth, and not worry about it again until the bit wears out. I'll use it only for dovetails.

I wanted a DeWalt 610, but our friends at the Depot didn't have ANY DeWalt routers (they did have the new belt sander)...so despite several bad experiences and many public vows to never buy anything PorterCable again, I got the 1-3/4HP PC ($139).

I'm not nearly as pessimistic as I used to be...but if I throw the switch on this router and it doesn't make noise, I'm going to be a very angry lad!

KC

Ken Salisbury
01-11-2004, 9:13 AM
This morning I have some dovetails to cut...so yesterday on our 'trip to town' I was looking for a dedicated router. I'm the lazy sort, and it's worth $150 to me to put the bit in, set the depth, and not worry about it again until the bit wears out. I'll use it only for dovetails.
KC

Kirk - I have been doing it that way for more than 10 years. I have several dedicated routers one of which is for dovetails. I found out many years ago that it takes longer to get the router set up to the right depth for a perfect fitting dovetail than it does to cut em -- hence a dedicated router.

John Shuk
01-11-2004, 10:17 AM
What is the minimum size router for cutting dovetails on a jig? Just thinking about getting set up in the future.

Jim Becker
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
What is the minimum size router for cutting dovetails on a jig? Just thinking about getting set up in the future.

If you are basically cutting 1/2" half-blinds you don't need a lot of power. Even a 1 hp "vintage" tool will work well as long as the collet is good and you can use the appropriate guide bushing. (Be carefull of old collets that slip!) The more compact the machine, the easier it will be to use, too...that's why a fixed base router is somewhat better than a plunger for this task: the center of gravity is lower. If you intend to use something like the Leigh jig with a variety of dovetails sizes and types, a little heftier tool will be better, but again, low center of gravity is a good thing.

Bart Leetch
01-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I have an old Black & Decker with the trigger switch in the handle that I have dedicated to use for dovetails.

The routers I started with were the above & a Sears I haven't dedicated the Sears to any operation yet.

The router that replaced them both for general all around use is the Porter Cable 690 with all 3 bases & fence guide system. But the B&D is still my dovetail router.

Check the pawn shops the router doesn't need to be new for this operation as long as it works good & feel comfortable in your hands.

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-12-2004, 7:07 AM
In case anybody's interested, the router works as advertised. I still would've preferred an old style toggle-type switch (as on the little DeWalt), but this will do the job fine. My one gripe might be that the router won't fit in the carrying case unless it's adjusted all the way down...so if I leave the bit in place, I can't use the case. I don't normally use the cases, but I might have with this one since I won't use it very often.

This brings me up to four routers. M12V in the table, DW621 for general use, Bosch 1587 that I use exclusively for scooping chair seats, and the PC. I may add another M12V soon somply because the price is good right now.

KC