PDA

View Full Version : Learning to veneer - need a project idea

Rob Will
06-15-2007, 12:25 AM
I would like to learn about using veneer but I don't know why. I suppose it just looks interesting.

So, what would be a good veneer project to learn on?

Eventually, I hope to make some cabinet doors using my own bandsaw veneer and will probably get a vacuum press based on your recommendation.

Anybody ever make some wall art that uses fancy veneer?

Rob

Lance Norris
06-15-2007, 8:22 AM
The first projects I made with veneer were jewelry boxes. Nice small areas to learn on. I used Claro Walnut on the lid, and it is beautiful. Walnut is my favorite and the Claro veneer I got was fantastic.

Dave Avery
06-15-2007, 8:31 AM
I'm making a dining room table where the 2 leafs (leaves?) will be decorative wall art when not being used in the table.

Tops for a side table or bedside tables are a good first project. You can use cauls and clamps for something small. A vacuum press will make larger projects easier. Joewoodworker.com for 'roll-your-own' and related parts/supplies, vacupress.com for ready-to-use systems and how-to videos. I've had great luck (no failures) with Titebond cold-press veneer glue. Pro's swear by Urea-formaldehyde glue but mixing and a respirator arre required. Good luck. Best. Dave.

Matt Meiser
06-15-2007, 8:45 AM
I did a hall table to learn veneering. By the time you add a frame of solid wood, the top is relatively small and easy to work with. I chose veneer that allowed me to have just one seem so that that part wasn't too hard.

Jim Becker
06-15-2007, 9:42 AM
Doing the same...first project is a few door panels for my vanity project. Since I already owned a pump (for vacuum chucking at the lathe), I bought a bag and other stuff from Joe Woodworker to be ready. Yes, I could have done simple panels with platens and cauls (I even have BowClamps...) but I decided to learn the vacuum technique right off the bat for more flexibility since I do intend a few more bow-front things in the future.

Mike Henderson
06-15-2007, 9:45 AM
If you've never done any veneering, the first things you should do are a couple of throw away panels on MDF just so you can learn how to cut veneer, and how your press works. I would never recommend doing everything for the first time on an actual project.

Mike

Mike Henderson
06-15-2007, 9:50 AM
I'm making a dining room table where the 2 leafs (leaves?) will be decorative wall art when not being used in the table.Best. Dave.
That's a really great artistic idea! After all, when you put the leaves in, you're probably going to have a table cloth on the table so not having a match with the rest of the table won't make any difference. And hanging them on the wall is a great way to store them.

I may steal that idea one day.

Mike