PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rest Report

Christopher K. Hartley
06-14-2007, 8:46 PM
As you can see Beauty is now officially "DIRTY". While I was getting her that way I had the opportunity to get a good workout on the Robust Comfort Tool Rests. The shape does provide comfort just as the site states and makes following through on cuts very smooth and steady. The polished steel rod welded to the top of the rest allows the tool to glide catch free for accuracy and again smoothness. It's a small item with a big difference compared to other rests I have used.:)

Even with a big out of balance blank, the variable speed makes it possible to start with a secure feeling and speed up as the blank progressively becomes balanced. Even at top speed with balance being somewhat of an issue there was a little minor vibration but she stood rock solid on the floor. Even at the lowest speeds power is abundant. That may have to do with the 3 HP she carries.

The ability to get up next to the chuck because of the cut a way headstock for tooling and sanding is so nice.

I also noticed the big difference not having to bend over when turning. I never noticed with my Jet how much I was having to do that until now. These adjustable legs are a real plus:)

Bill Wyko
06-14-2007, 8:54 PM
That's where you were probably causing back troubles. You've convinced me that thats my next lathe. I better start saving if I'm going to have one by the year 2020.:) That thing has so many little and big features that seem to really set it apart from everything else.

Jim Becker
06-14-2007, 8:56 PM
Yea, that's a very nice tool rest design, both for it's resistance to wear and "slick" feel, to its profile that allows you to get in close.

George Morris
06-14-2007, 9:26 PM
Great looking lathe, really robust.Who did you buy from? Good luck with it and happy turning!

Gary Herrmann
06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Glad you're enjoying Beauty, Chris. One day, one day maybe I can get something like that.

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Chris that is one good looking lathe. Glad to see you got it dirty. I like the idea of a welded rod across the top of the rest for smooth movement of the tool. Congrats again Chris.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-15-2007, 6:35 AM
Great looking lathe, really robust.Who did you buy from? Good luck with it and happy turning!George, this is the link: http://www.turnrobust.com/ I bought it direct. Brent English the owner is as good to work with as the Lathe is. Be sure to look at the Lathe stats page and the movie on the home page.:)

Frank Kobilsek
06-15-2007, 9:33 AM
Chris

Sorry if you've answered this before but ... What options did you get? I can see the Tilt Away tailstock. What else?

I've been a Mustrad fan but this Robusto is got me thinking. Next February I'm going to upgrade so I'm in shopping mode.

Frank

Christopher K. Hartley
06-15-2007, 5:31 PM
Chris

Sorry if you've answered this before but ... What options did you get? I can see the Tilt Away tailstock. What else?

I've been a Mustrad fan but this Robusto is got me thinking. Next February I'm going to upgrade so I'm in shopping mode.

FrankFrank I got the Tilt-a-way tail stock, Bowl Steady, 6" Comfort Tool Rest, Inside and Outside Bowl Rests, Casters, Outboard Turning Rig, 24" Bed and Rail Extension, 3HP Motor and Vacuum Adapter. The Steady and Outboard Rig will be in in July. My Kelton Hollowing rig is a custom for this Lathe and is on the way from Australia.:) Call and talk with Brent, I really believe you'll be as impressed with him as I am.

Jim Becker
06-15-2007, 9:16 PM
The good news is that there is another option in the custom-made lathe space now that Robust has things moving. That said, anyone contemplating moving up to one of the machines in this class should make every possible attempt to turn on any and all of the machines you are considering. Each has unique features and a unique "feel". OneWay, Robust, Vicmark, Stubby, etc., are all wonderful machines...and every one of us is an individual when it comes to our turning styles and what's comfortable. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to do a hands-on evaluation if you can when you're contemplating plunking down $4-6K!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2007, 8:21 AM
Way to go gettin her dirty Chris. I really like that tool rest design with the little bar on top. Gives me some ideas too.:)