PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 37-220 6" jointer

Chuck Lenz
06-14-2007, 7:30 PM
I just picked up a Rockwell 37-220, 6" jointer intown. The jointer looks to be in nice condition, the motor and stand wellllllllll, we will see. First of all the stand is made from angle iron and not high enough, it"s geting scrapped, so in other words I'm looking for a Rockwell or Delta stand if anyone has one that was made for these jointers, open or closed. Now the motor, it is a Rockwell motor, but it is a 1 1/2 HP, 3450 rpm, 115/230, a little over kill compared to what the manufacturer suggested at the time when this jointer was new. They suggested 1/2 hp for light duty work, 3/4hp for medium duty, and 1hp for continuous work. I'm not sure that the motor came with the jointer, I was thinking maybe it came off a Contractors saw. Anyway, the capacitor has electrical tape wraped around it, has a dent in the side about the size of a quarter and there isn't a cover for it to hold it to the motor. I would think I could find a capacitor at the local electric motor shop, tell me if I'm wrong, but I would like to find the factory cover if anyone has one. If not, I'll have to find one that is the same size with the correct distance mounting holes, and that probably won't be easy. Or I could sell someone the motor that is restoreing a old Rockwell Contractors saw and buy a more appropriate sized motor for this jointer. Don't ask me why I need more projects, I certainly wasn't looking for one.

John Ricci
06-14-2007, 8:09 PM
Chuck, nice score. I have the same jointer with the cabinet stand and the 1/2 hp motor (I'm guessing school woodshop refugee from the 60's). The stand I have is short too but I'm 6'2" and the tables are still at a fairly workable hight for me.

A new motor will be more efficient than the old one you have but as you said, your old one would be good for someone restoring a machine if it has to be all original. Your post has prodded me into thinking about a new 1 hp motor for my jointer and just put the original on the shelf for the time being.

J.R.

Chuck Lenz
06-15-2007, 5:24 AM
Hi John, in the manual it says on the cast stand it is 36" high and on the steel stand it is 39" high. The homemade stand I got with it I bet I'd be lucky if it was 30" high, and I'm 6'2" also.