PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between a Powermatic 3520A and a 3520B

Bill Wyko
06-14-2007, 7:03 PM
I was just reading an article about a lathe comparason in a book I picked up at HD and it named the Powermatic 3520B as the best overall value. But it said the 3520A has some faults but it doesn't say what the differences are. The magazine is called "Fine WoodWorking" and it's in the June issue. Congrats to you Mustard guys on top honors.:cool: :p :D The test was on lathes in the $1200.00 to $3200.00 range.

Travis Stinson
06-14-2007, 7:33 PM
From what I can tell, the main differences are the RPM display and the offset banjo on the B model. I would consider the offset banjo a possible improvement, the RPM display is a non issue IMO. I haven't heard anything about the B model that would make me want one over my A model, not sure what they are considering "faults". ;)

Paul Zerjay
06-14-2007, 7:40 PM
The b model also has extra heavier duty locks for the tailstock, banjo and headstock. I'm told the old ones were cast and had a tendancy to break. The tailstock has been redesigned with a storage compartment as well as a different live center. The headsock has also been redesigned with one corner cut on an angle to have better tool room when working close quarters to the headstock. Besides the placement of the speed indicator, thats all I can remember right now.

Jamie Donaldson
06-14-2007, 7:49 PM
.. a black rubber pad atop the headstock casting and a $500 price increase!

Travis Stinson
06-14-2007, 8:11 PM
Paul, I think the locks and live center were upgraded from the original with the A model. Nick Cook demo'd at our club a few weeks ago and made mention of the live center, but my 2 year old A model has the laser etched self-ejecting quill.:confused:

Paul Zerjay
06-14-2007, 8:16 PM
The black rubber mat melts pretty easily with the tip of a hot melt glue gun too!:mad:

Chris Barton
06-15-2007, 7:46 AM
I also have the "a" model but, have turned extensively on the "b" as well and I would agree with Travis that the differences are "subtle" between the two. I do like the offset banjo but, have managed a work around on the "a" model. I have a scrap wood, homemade tool rack on the top of my headstock held in place using magnets so I'm glad I don't have the rubber mat. Like others have said, the RPM thing is a non-issue. I have a block of wood in my tailstock compartment that holds various centers and would rather have that than a lidded compartment. Not to detract from the "b', it's certainly worth the money.