PDA

View Full Version : Penturning blanks splitting

Matthew Barrett
06-14-2007, 6:43 PM
I have had trouble with wood turned pens splitting. After 1 or 2 months or longer I find splits and cracks in the wooden turned parts. I don't know what is causing it and I want to keep turning pens but want to eliminate or reduce the cracking. :mad: The material is usually from my scrap pile and I use a friction finish. Any help would be apprecaited.

Steve Knowlton
06-14-2007, 6:50 PM
Matthew, Is the wood dry. My expierence is if the wood is not dry it will split.

Matthew Barrett
06-14-2007, 6:56 PM
I believe its dry because it been in my shop for awhile. Perhaps because its not heated all the time it picks up moisture. Maybe if I bring the blanks inside for a few weeks I will havb better luck. What do you think?

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-14-2007, 7:02 PM
What kind of wood are you using?:)

My guess is also that if the wood is not dry it's cracking...unlike exotics that are a challenge no matter what.

:cool:

Matthew Barrett
06-14-2007, 7:17 PM
Some walnut and rosewood.

Leo Pashea
06-14-2007, 7:24 PM
Matthew, if you are generating excessive heat when you sand your pen blanks after they are turned, that can cause cracks in the wood. It may not show up immediately, but exposed over time to environmental changes can cause the cracks to open up. When turned, the wooden portion of the pen barrel is fairly thin, so you must exercise care when sanding. Light pressure, and lower speeds will help reduce checking.

Matthew Barrett
06-14-2007, 7:57 PM
Thanks Leo. Maybe I am sanding to hard. Good advice.