PDA

View Full Version : yet another allen/hex key... sigh.

Art Mulder
06-14-2007, 6:23 PM
Tonight I installed a towel hook in my bathroom. Like many such modern decorations, it is equipped with a hidden plate that you affix with screws to the wall. Then the decorative plate is fitted over the plate and fixed in place with an allen (or hex) screw.

And they very helpfully included the correct sized allen key for me to use.

My pile of "single-use" allen keys is growing. Ikea includes them with their knock-down furniture. They come with the mirrors or other gizmos I buy to mount on my bike. These bathroom fixtures come with them, and on and on.

So why is it that all these manufacturers assume that you have a screwdriver, but they never assume that you have a set of allen keys?
:confused: :confused:

...art

Steve Clardy
06-14-2007, 6:28 PM
I have a couple hundred I guess.

Then I have 3-4 complete sets.
One of these days, some of the extras will go to the scrap iron pile.

Bruce Page
06-14-2007, 7:56 PM

Me too. Both Metric & 'Merican.

Tim Morton
06-14-2007, 8:18 PM
Tonight I installed a towel hook in my bathroom. Like many such modern decorations, it is equipped with a hidden plate that you affix with screws to the wall. Then the decorative plate is fitted over the plate and fixed in place with an allen (or hex) screw.

My pile of "single-use" allen keys is growing. Ikea includes them with their knock-down furniture. They come with the mirrors or other gizmos I buy to mount on my bike. These bathroom fixtures come with them, and on and on.

So why is it that all these manufacturers assume that you have a screwdriver, but they never assume that you have a set of allen keys?

...art

cheaper to include a 5 cent tool than to answer an 800# phone call I think.

Randal Stevenson
06-14-2007, 8:28 PM

...art

Your right! Guess you should call them and ask them where is the screwdriver, LOL :D

Robert E Lee
06-14-2007, 8:47 PM
Steve, make turnning tool, lost of little turnning tools. :D
Bob

Ben Grunow
06-14-2007, 9:23 PM
I recently installed about 30 towel bars, TP holders etc (in one house) and I cant stand those things, so small and too close to the wall. I usually take one and cut it so it is straight with about 1/8" leg (cut the short leg to 1/8) and tape it into an 8" stick so I can do the easy part of the turning like a gentleman and then use another key to snug it down.

John Schreiber
06-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I recently saw a cheap bbq grill that came with it's own wrench. It was the cheapest piece of stamped steel you can imagine. It would have hurt your hands to put any torque on it. We should be glad more things don't come with the required tools.

Ronald Seto
06-24-2007, 1:48 PM
I would get a small plastic cabinet, the kind with the small drawers and keep the keys in there. Tag each drawer to show each size of key.

Steve Clardy
06-27-2007, 10:20 PM
UPS brought my new office chair yesterday.
Some assembly required the instructions said.......Had to assembly everything. Oh well. ;)

Anyhoo, as I was unpacking/unwrapping everything, here was the hex head assembly screws and washers, and another hex key :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: