PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2007, 3:53 PM
I wish I'd brought my camera. I was just doing lettering on a couple of vans for a roofing company that happens to be located next to a wood recycler in Redmond, WA.

I almost fell over when I saw what they were grinding up there. And I'm not even a turner. Apparently when there's construction all of the trees removed from the site are brought there. There was a pile (guessing now) 300' x 100' x 40' high, with stumps, hunks of 36" caliper logs, and visible burls showing here and there. They were mostly maple, Western Red Cedar, Douglas Fir, and Western Hemlock, and a few Madrona. Mixed in were old pallets and demolition lumber.

Yes, I asked, and no you can't go get the burls. Way too much liability, he told me, and not worth the trouble to save and sell it. He gets paid to take away the wood, then gets paid again, to deliver the ground up wood later
to be made into products like particle board.

Leigh Costello
06-14-2007, 5:13 PM
Hey Joe,
I am mapquesting now - if I dress me and hubby in camo and bring the chainsaws, don't tell anyone. Just kidding.

I am sooooo tired of the liability excuse for wasting perfectly good resources. If I decide to do something stupid and leave a limb behind, it is not the other persons fault. Why oh why can't folks just be smart and take responsibility for their actions! Sorry for the rant....

Randy Denby
06-14-2007, 5:22 PM
It really is a shame....

Nancy Laird
06-14-2007, 5:34 PM
That's the kind of attitude [Way too much liability, he told me, and not worth the trouble to save and sell it] that makes me sick at my stomach.

Nancy

Steven Wilson
06-14-2007, 6:19 PM
That happens everywhere. My local landscape dump is a treasuretrove of nice big logs. The guys let me bring my trailer and load up what I want for free as long as I don't use a chainsaw (liability). A couple of kants and a willing wife are all I need to get some nice big pieces.