PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Laser

Brian Robison
06-14-2007, 3:06 PM
Any one got one of the new fiber lasers yet?

Bruce Volden
06-14-2007, 4:00 PM
I've inquired 2 mfgrs. and received samples! So far I can do a crisper job with cerdec marking paste:D I would like the "no maintenance" part though.

Bruce

Dean Carpenter
06-14-2007, 5:03 PM
do you mean a darker result with cerdec?

It should be more crisp because the Fibre will produce a spot 1/20th that of your C02 laser. You can also etch at speeds up to 7m/sec.

maintenance is almost zero and technically it's a YAG, so direct marking to any metal.

regards

Dean

Brett Halle
06-14-2007, 6:49 PM
Brian,

I have a Epilog FiberMark laser (20 Watt). Works very nicely, particularly since you don't need to do all the prep and cleanup that Cermark requires. It's a nice compliment to my CO2 laser.

Frank Corker
06-14-2007, 8:23 PM
Brett, interesting stuff, can you perhaps post a picture of something that you have done with the Fiber and alongside one done with your laser using cerdec? I reckon that would be able to help all of us realise how much of a difference there is.

Brett Halle
06-14-2007, 8:30 PM
Frank,

Next time I can run both types, I will take some pictures and post them. The biggest difference, though, is that there is no set up on the FiberMark ... it's a huge timesaver and you can mark directly on stainless.

Frank Corker
06-14-2007, 8:58 PM
I'd be interested to see that, thanks Brett.

Chris Costello
06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Brett,

What was your cost on the Laser?

Chris

Dean Carpenter
06-15-2007, 1:57 AM
Frank,

Do you want to mark large field with a Fibre of just small stuff? Even though the source is similar there's a big difference between a Fibre plotter (like Epilog and Trotec have) and a galvo Fibre.

A Galvo fibre will mark to much finer detail, with greater reliability, speed and a far wider range of effects but the trade-off is that the mark area is small: about 110mm average, 175mm max

A plotter Fibre can only engrave in X-axis. While the results are good the time taken to etch, for example, stainless steel over full field is ages (days!) - too long to make any money out of for most people.

I have experience with all of the YAG types, plotter and galvo. What do you want to see examples of?

Dean

Brett Halle
06-15-2007, 2:26 AM
Chris,

The 20 Watt with all the bells and whistles (rotary, stand, and air) was about $40K.

--Brett

Roy Brewer
06-16-2007, 1:35 PM
Any one got one of the new fiber lasers yet?Brian,
While one probably wouldn't purchase a FiberMark for this application alone, most of those who have the FiberMark have found it does a terrific job on clear coated, "gold" brass (laser then oxidize); which is something we've not been able to to with a CO2 source.

Kim Vellore
11-14-2007, 7:25 PM
Today I saw the FiberMark laser in action, I was impressed with the results. On one steel plate there was markings at different frequencies and it makes different colour markings not shades of gray but slight variation in colours. I was like WOW... There was also a yellow plastic part that had blue image on it, it was Fiber marked and was like screen printed in blue. Does any one know how exactly this works and how the frequency makes different colours?, It is not due to oxidation or light interference pattern, something else. not much info on Epilog website.

Kim

Scott Challoner
11-14-2007, 8:50 PM
Is it possible to actually cut metal with the fiber laser? Something like .010" stainless? I used to buy solder paste stencils that were cut with a YAG but I have no idea what wattages they were.

Jeff Gilchrist
11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
We recently bought two 20 watt Mecco Fiber Lasers for engraving two demensional data matrix barcodes on tools for inventory control puposes. Only had them for about a week but have engraved sockets and wrenches from a cheap tool kit purchased as a sacrificial lamb to get the settings right.
I agree with Brett, the setup time is significantly reduced and the run time is faster with a Fiber Laser but if you have a class 1 enclosure you are kind of limited on the size of what you can engrave. I think I have about 15 X 15 inch space inside my enclosure. I suppose you could defeat the door safetys but you better be wearing laser glasses tuned to the correct wavelength and have the proper placarding placed around your work area. Also, mine does not have auto focus rather a programable Z axis that is controlled through the software. You have to know the height of the material you are engraving and key it in then it will automagically adjust the Z prior to burn.

End of rambling....probably more useless info than anyone cared to read.

Let me end by saying that this forum renews my faith that there are still people in the world that will help a perfect stranger in need and that is rare these days.

Jeff

Frank Corker
11-15-2007, 6:31 AM
I'd love to see someone's photos of something that they have done using a fibre marker. Does anyone have them yet?

Bill Cunningham
11-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I have a 'black fibre marker' here Frank.. I'd be happy to sketch a stick man or something for you.. The technical name of course is "Sharpie Fine point" Permanent marker :rolleyes:

Roy Brewer
11-16-2007, 3:32 AM
Is it possible to actually cut metal with the fiber laser? Scott,
Epilog's FiberMark is available in 10 or 20 watt versions. Sorry, but neither will cut metal.

Frank Corker
11-16-2007, 6:26 AM
Thanks Bill, perhaps waving with a hat in his hand if you can...

David Epperson
11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
I recently read a review on the fibre guided laser beam steering method in an engineering rag. Seems like this method is not limited in the way that galvo steered lasers are. As I recall, the mirrors in a galvo steered system limited the amount of deliverable power to less than 100 watts, in fact less than 80 watts at the time I was researching it (which was 7-8 years ago for an industrial laser printing operation - marking cable legend on the wire jacket, on the fly at 50 fps) We wanted to increase both speed and depth of burn. No could do with steering mirrors. Might be possible with the fibre guided system.

Peck Sidara
11-16-2007, 6:03 PM
Alot of good questions:

Kim: Changing the frequency/focus/power/speed settings will result in different shades of blues/purples and black. Types of marks are direct etch, annealed, mirror/polished and everything in between. You can also color map the focus to obtain all three looks on one sample.

Scott: The FiberMark is not intended for metal cutting, It's a direct metal & some plastic marker. I've recently had an application where the fiber was used to cut thru .005" copper clad used in PCB boards. It may take more than one pass but it can be done.

Dean: I don't see how a Galvo Fiber can be deemed more reliable than an x/y flying optic driven Fiber. Please elaborate.

Attached is a comparison photo; CerMark vs. Fiber. Both done on 3X1.5" stainless. Image quality, not contrast/brightness etc. had to be adjusted to get it loaded. If you'd like a FiberMark sample, PM me your contact info and I'll send one out.

If anyone is also wondering, you can use the CerMark/TherMark metal marking spray on the Fiber as well.

I've spoken to a few FiberMark customers who purchased the Fiber specifically to replace their C02/CerMark processing. Most would say their customers can't tell the difference.

Frank Corker
11-17-2007, 6:57 AM
Peck, thanks for the photos, apart from it being able to etch directly onto the steel, the marking is pretty much the same as a normal co2. It's nice to see the comparison though.

Bill Cunningham
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Peck, thanks for the photos, apart from it being able to etch directly onto the steel, the marking is pretty much the same as a normal co2. It's nice to see the comparison though.

Oops will have to pass on the 'stickman' Frank! It would seem he enjoyed too much fiber, and had a accident!!:D
Puts a whole new meaning to the words "fiber mark":eek:

Brian Robison
10-17-2008, 3:40 PM
Bringing this back up, Anyone close to me got one?

Bryan Cowan
10-17-2008, 4:27 PM
Bringing this back up, Anyone close to me got one?

We have one in Cleveland, Ohio...not Cleveland, Tennessee :)

Brian Robison
10-17-2008, 4:33 PM
Well, I've been to both!
The one in Tn, is a little closer.
How does it work on Aluminum?

Bryan Cowan
10-17-2008, 5:00 PM
Well, I've been to both!
The one in Tn, is a little closer.

Of course you ask a question on a metal we don't use the laser for. Let me get back to you on Monday and I will let you know.

Looking for raster and/or vector settings?

Jeanette Brewer
10-17-2008, 5:37 PM

Brian,

I'd be happy to get some aluminum samples for you from the factory (if they're not already on the way). Would that help?

Brian Robison
10-17-2008, 7:28 PM
That's ok. Just wondered how it would do.

Jack Harper
10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know if a fiber system would mark on green or black G10 fiberglass?

Dan Hintz
10-19-2008, 5:05 PM
I'm sure it would mark it, but the fumes from the resin might not be the best stuff for your lungs.

Peck Sidara
10-19-2008, 8:29 PM
Does anyone know if a fiber system would mark on green or black G10 fiberglass?

Jack,

I've done some testing on G10/FR4 PCB board fiberglass. Does it mark? Yes. Does it cut? No. However, it's not as contrasting/consistent of a mark for me to get excited about.

Testing was done on green boards. HTH.

Bryan Cowan
10-20-2008, 1:13 PM
That's ok. Just wondered how it would do.

The aluminum changes to a nice "white"/polished color.

Brian Robison
10-20-2008, 1:22 PM
Thanks Bryan.
Are you interested in running a couple samples of a plastic for me? I know that the plastic will leave a nice white color but I can't do that on my CO2.
It sounds like your on of those that like to think outside the box and play with settings. Most fiber / yag people seem to have their parts and their set up and won't deviate for a new product sample.

Bryan Cowan
10-20-2008, 1:36 PM
Thanks Bryan.
Are you interested in running a couple samples of a plastic for me? I know that the plastic will leave a nice white color but I can't do that on my CO2.
It sounds like your on of those that like to think outside the box and play with settings. Most fiber / yag people seem to have their parts and their set up and won't deviate for a new product sample.

I try something new every week. :) I almost have settings dialed in for engraving wood. :eek:

I'd most definitely would run samples for you. Just let me know what you need.

Brian Robison
10-20-2008, 1:55 PM
Shoot me an e mail.
brian (at sign) metalmarkers.org