PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Pictures

Paul Heely
06-14-2007, 1:38 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thought it was time to stop lurking and come out of the shadows. I just started turning in December. LOML made the mistake of letting me out of the house one Saturday unsupervised and I came home with a Jet mini. I've been sliding down the slope ever since :D

Here are a couple of things that didn't end up in the burn pile. I've already learned to leave the bowl walls thicker than I think when rough turning wet wood. Had several that warped so much I could not re-turn them.

The pen was turned extra fat for a family member with arthritis so she'll be able to grip it comfortably.

The bowl was rough turned back in Jan and finished turned last week, the first one I was successful at completing. Is made from a small piece of black cherry that came from a tree that was removed from my yard.

Thanks.

--
Paul

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2007, 1:45 PM
Paul welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. The pen and bowl look great. For your first one I would keep the bowl to compare down the road as you gain skills. Most of us save our first. Great job and keep'em coming.

Patrick Taylor
06-14-2007, 1:49 PM
Welcome, and nice work! Like you I started this past winter and have found SMC to be indispensible. :)

Kim Ford
06-14-2007, 1:53 PM
Paul;

Welcome to the "Creek". Lots of great people here that enjoy sharing.

I think you have an excellent start. The bowl and pen both look very good. Keep turning and keep posting.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2007, 2:19 PM
Paul.....Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex! Nice looking first finished projects! Keep at it!

Paul Engle
06-14-2007, 2:25 PM
Paul, I really like the bowl . the shape is great! I am inspired. nice job on the pen also.Welcome aboard. LOTS of info here and LOTS of help along the way , but you proably got that figured eh?

Brett Baldwin
06-14-2007, 2:37 PM
Welcome Paul. You've obviously picked up on the picture junky vibe and we look forward to your future endeavors.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-14-2007, 2:50 PM
Paul, good to meet you and Welcome to the Abyss! Couple of nice turnings there. I hope to see much more from you. Keep up the good work.:)

TYLER WOOD
06-14-2007, 2:53 PM
another one bites the dust. Welcome aboard the HMS SPINNEY. It's just like hotel california, you can check out but you can never leave.

Great on both pieces, I love the grain on the bowl.

Mark Cothren
06-14-2007, 5:12 PM
Hey Paul - welcome! That is some nice work and I can't wait to see some more!

Pete Jordan
06-14-2007, 5:13 PM
Welcome Paul.

Looks like you have a great start!

Jerry Pittman
06-14-2007, 7:09 PM
Paul,
Welcome to SMC. I just joined a short while ago and it is a great group.
I like the idea of a fat pen for arthritis suffers; great idea! I like the bowl also, especially the grain pattern.
Keep you the good work.
Jerry

Paul Heely
06-14-2007, 7:21 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. This board has been a great resource so far and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

I'll keep turning and posting. I have several more pens to make for people. I'll post pictures of those as I finish them.

--
Paul

Tom Sherman
06-16-2007, 9:28 AM
Nice work on those turnings Paul, good to have you in the Creek.

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Welcome Paul. Very nice start. Keep'em coming.