PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with Lasers?

Jared Greenberg
06-14-2007, 1:16 PM
I have been tossing around the idea for about a year in investing in a laser. I own a baseball bat company and want the laser to engrave just on the barrel's of the bats. Many other companies do this, so I know it can be done! Right now we do vinyl labels and it works quite well.

A standard area of text would be roughly 4-5 inches in length and maybe 2.5-3" wide. I could actually measure though. There is much of a curve with this size on the barrel.

A few questions:

1) How much would I be looking at for a machine that could do this? Also, I assume there are several models of machines, but what are the sizes of these?

2) What is set up time like. We get many orders with the same person's name with 2-3 dozen, but we also get a lot of 1-2 bat orders. So would I need to type into some software each bat that I want to engrave?

3) I would need to fill some bats with white/silver/black, I think this is possible, but is it time comsuming?

I have seen some video's on different sites where people are lasering bats. If this would be useful to post the link so you can possibly tell what type/brand/size of machine they are using I could do that.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Robison
06-14-2007, 1:31 PM
You'd need to find a laser that has a pass through or a very big table. Even a 25watt would be enough wattage for wood. Where on the bat are you engraving? How far from what end?

Rodne Gold
06-14-2007, 2:09 PM
Is it worth whiile spending like $15k+ to offer this service? Thats apart from the expenses of actually hiring someone or taking the time to do this?
Why not farm it out ?

Mike Mackenzie
06-14-2007, 2:49 PM
Jared,

You should contact Rawlings and or Louisville slugger, They all use the ULS x660 systems. They have these systems in virtually every ballpark in the U.S. they personalize the bats, balls and gloves during the games.

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2007, 2:59 PM
When we were shopping for lasers, one thing we had come up with was to lazer engrave the anodized aluminum bats for kids. The bats can run $400 these days, and last thing you want is someone walking off with your kids $400 bat. We thought it would be a great idea.

Then we were informed that the bat manufacturers said doing it would void the warranty on the aluminum bats. It made us reconsider the size machine we did buy. We probably could have pushed it a little, but in the end, we thought it wasn't worth the gamble.

Most kids around here never use wood, so we didn't consider the wood bats.

Brian Robison
06-14-2007, 3:04 PM
I guess that shows how old I am. I forgot bats today are made from aluminum!

Scott, void the warranty? Just goes to show you some folks are little crazy.

Jared, where are you located? Are they wood or aluminum?

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2007, 3:47 PM
I guess that shows how old I am. I forgot bats today are made from aluminum!

Scott, void the warranty? Just goes to show you some folks are little crazy.

Any excuse to void a warranty on an item with as much liability as an aluminum bat.

Like engraving a few words would weaken it!

James Stokes
06-14-2007, 5:08 PM
I engraved a baseball bat yesterday. I used an epilog Legend 32. It is to short to use the rotary drive for it. All I could do was engrave the top. I did not color fill it but in the past I have color filled them. Unless you put a sealer on the engraving first they bleed paint very bad.

Jared Greenberg
08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
So would a ULS machine be my best option. Is there a less expensive machine. It would only be used for this type of application.

Are there any dealers in Canada?

Also it is easy to color fill?

Larry Bratton
08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
How long is a baseball bat? Do they vary in length? I saw some bats not long ago that had a design etc routed on them for an award. That work was done on a CNC router. I was thinking it would take more than a 36" table to do one but James stated he did one on his Legend 32.

Jared Greenberg
08-23-2007, 2:15 PM
I would just be engraving on the barrel of the bat. With the model #, player's name. 3 Lines of engraving, 3" long x 2" in height.

Nancy Laird
08-23-2007, 3:25 PM
In the Delta/PC/DW/B&D booth at AWFS, Rawlins had a ULS laser putting names and other info on miniatures and on full-sized bats (I know, I bought three of them!!). I don't know what laser they were using, but it was large enough for the full-sized - 36"? - bats to go into. I know I would not be able to put that size bat into either of my lasers with their 24" beds, not even diagonally. That said, they were lasering three lines on each bat, in an area about the size you mentioned, and had made a cradle for the bats to sit in to keep them perfectly horizontal. They were selling the lasered bats for $40 each; whether that was a show come-on price or not, I don't know (the miniatures were $25 or $30). The lasering on their bats was, IIRC, color-filled, but I wouldn't swear to it. They are already in the hands of the giftees, so I can't even look to find out.

If this is the only application you have for a laser, DON'T. For the size you need, you are looking at (1) a LARGE chunk of change to purchase the laser ($25K and up); (2) a large chunk of change to purchase the dedicated computer to run the laser; (3) a large chunk of change to purchase CorelDraw or Adobe to do the art; (4) a very steep learning curve learning to do the art on the computer (unless you have a familiarity with graphics programs); and (5) more $$$ for all of the other little things that are involved in getting into the laser business. Your profile doesn't state where you are, but you should probably check the thread at the top of this forum and find out if there is an engraver in your area and talk face-to-face to him/her and get some more guidance.

Unless you have a lot of $$$ to spend and not a lot to spend it on, buying a laser for just this one application is, in my opinion, foolhardy. On the other hand, if you buy the laser and the computer and CorelDraw, etc., you will soon find a LOT of other applications for it and you could conceivably pay the purchase price off in 18-24 months, depending on where you are and how much business you could bring in.

Nancy (120 days)

Brian Robison
08-23-2007, 4:27 PM
Where do you get wood baseball bats with nothing on them?

Mike Mackenzie
08-23-2007, 4:40 PM
Rawlings and Louisville slugger use a top secrete paint to fill the bats with. I have tried several times to find out what and who it came from but they would not tell me.

When we set-up the stadiums they would have this paint in a Tupperware container so I could never find out who made it or where it came from.

Both these companies use the X model which will allow the bat to be placed inside the unit.

Nancy Laird
08-23-2007, 5:03 PM
Where do you get wood baseball bats with nothing on them?

Have one of the master turners here at SMC turn them for you??? :D :D :D

NO!!! Not me!!!!:eek:

Nancy (120 days)

Stephen Beckham
08-23-2007, 9:16 PM
I ordered my 18" minature bats straight from Lousiville slugger. They keep their football shaped logo in the center, but the end is blank.

It took me nearly 8 months to get it approved since I want to put stuff on the end - they don't want just anything on their bats. I signed a waiver stating that I wouldn't put in MLB or Colligiate type logos/names/mascots on the bats.

You can also find the minatures online at places like gonebatty and I can't remember the second source. Living right here 35 minutes from Louisville - I went straight to the factory and dropped all the others.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Just to clarify this is what I want to do....it is approx at the 2:20 mark in th video.

http://www.bwpbats.com/Movie.wmv

Brian Robison
08-27-2007, 1:05 PM
Looks like a Yag to me.

Tony Lenkic
08-27-2007, 1:28 PM
Jared,

Yes, there are dealers in Canada.
Where are you located?
I may be able to direct you to few dealers.

Mike Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 1:33 PM
It is a galvo head set-up and the CO2 source looks just like the OEM ULS tube.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 2:27 PM
Jared,

Yes, there are dealers in Canada.
Where are you located?
I may be able to direct you to few dealers.

Red Deer, AB

Calgary 140 km to the south
Edmonton 140 km to the north

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 2:28 PM
It is a galvo head set-up and the CO2 source looks just like the OEM ULS tube.

OK, looks like I'm getting somewhere with the visiual...

Is this a custom set up or is there something like this on the market?

Jim Watkins
08-27-2007, 2:39 PM
You could use an EPILOG but they have a security feature on their machines so that if the front door is open, the laser will not fire. I am told it can be bypassed, but I am not sure how.

I believe the Accuras/Pennicle lasers have both a front and back door for pass through work. But I don't know about any safety features there.

Pete Simmons
08-27-2007, 2:48 PM
No affilation but check these guys out.

Their maching uses a galvano head so there is about 24 inches from head to work. It moves very fast. And I would guess that with enough power/money it will do a bat in a few seconds.

For more information please contact Focused Light Engraving, Inc. at 407-830-8885.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 2:50 PM
So the pass through set up basically meaning that I could stick the end of the bat in and it would engrave it as showing in the video instead of being in the open.

I do not see an opening on this machine, but would this be something similar?

http://www.signwarehouse.com/engravers/images/Mseries_01.jpg

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 2:52 PM
No affilation but check these guys out.

Their maching uses a galvano head so there is about 24 inches from head to work. It moves very fast. And I would guess that with enough power/money it will do a bat in a few seconds.

For more information please contact Focused Light Engraving, Inc. at 407-830-8885.

Is this the machine?

http://www.lasermen.com/compendium/rcache/80adb1f371aaef900c4dd56e23c8983b.jpg (http://www.lasermen.com/compendium/Laser%20Systems/DSCN0560.JPG)

Pete Simmons
08-27-2007, 2:56 PM
Looks like it.

The one I saw in use would engrave a wood item very quick.

A name on a wood pen in just a second or 2. Also the head was much higher off the table. Almost 2 feet.

Darren Null
08-27-2007, 3:02 PM
I do not see an opening on this machine, but would this be something similar?
That is a pinnacle M series aka a GCC Mercury. I've got one and it does have a pass-through. You have to unscrew a plate in the back (if your object is that big- shouldn't need it with a baseball bat) and short out the magnetic safety catches on the front door so that the laser will fire with the door open. You *must* wear safety goggles when working with pass-through doors open.

EDIT: There's 75cm horizontal width of working area...might not have to bother with pass-through

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 3:15 PM
There's 75cm horizontal width of working area...might not have to bother with pass-through

Majority of the bats are 32-34 inches or 81.3cm to 86.4cm

Mike Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 3:29 PM
The ULS X series systems can put those size bats into the system with out any doors opened.

The galvo heads are available so you can create your own system you would need Laser Tube, Controller, Galvo head, & software.

A lot of manufactures have done this so it is not to difficult the cost however is something I am not sure on it may be less expensive to buy a system instead of creating one on your own.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 3:36 PM
Here is another machine from motiontek.ca $9000

http://www.motiontek.ca/index_files/L36.jpg

L36 Laser Cutter/Engraver Laser typeSealed CO2 laser tubeLaser power60WLaser Cooling systemWater cooling pumpCutting/Engraving areaImperial 36x24 inchMetric 900x600 mmEngraving SpeedDepends on materialImperial 0 - 1890 Inch/MinMetric 0 - 48,000 mm/MinCutting SpeedDepends on materialImperial 0 - 1600 Inch/MinMetric 0 - 40,000 mm/MinResolution75-1200 DPIRepositioning accuracyImperial ± 0.0004Metric ± 0.01mmControl SoftwareDSP4 Cutting and Engraving in the same process, it means it can CUT & ENGRAVE in the same Operation / Multi LayerGraphic format supportedBMP, TIF, JPG, HPGL (PLT)DXF, DWG, DSTDesign software (Not Included)CorelDraw, AutoCAD and other CAD or Raster software InterfacePCI CardElectronic Drive systemMicro stepping stepper motor and driver with high accuracy Mechanical systemHigh precisions Fast Linear Guide way, Timing Gears& BeltOperating system Windows 2000/XPNet Weight440 LB, 200 KG Machine dimensionImperial 55x47x40 InchMetric 1370x1080x1000 mmPower voltageAC 110V or 220V, 50-60HzGross power<1,000WOperating temperature0-45 Degree CentigradeOperating humidity5-95%
Standard FeaturesVentilation system Exhaust fans + Hose
Air AssistMachine can open from back to take long materialOptional items
Rotary to engrave on cylindrical materials 850 US$
Variable height table top Thick material Support 450 US$Honey comb table 220 US$RED pointer 160 US$
110V input electricity 180 US$USB interface print directly from Corel draw, Auto CAD 460 US$
Applicable materialsWood, bamboo, jade, marble, organic glass, crystal, plastic, garments, paper, leather, rubber, ceramic, glass and other nonmetal materials
Applicable industriesAdvertising, arts and crafts, leather, toys, garments, model, embroidery, clipping, packaging and paper industryPacking ListL36 Laser Cutter/Engraver
Water cooling pump
Air compressor
Exhaust blower + Hose
Laser software Machine operation Manual Software User Manual Communication cable
Power cable PCI Card
3 Reflect Lens installed on machine
1 focus Lens installed on machineLaser tube 60 W installed on machine

Computer Requirements (Not Included)

Windows 2000 or Windows XP
IBM compatible PC
CPU Pentium 3 or 4
128 MB RAM or more
20 GB HDD
CD-ROM
1 PCI slot
1 USB portWarranty1 year free replacement on all laser machine part except laser tube, Lens
For Canada & USA spare parts available in stock
3 month on consumables laser tube, Lens
1 year free technical support by mail or telephone

Training

Available at customer location 1 day free, extra days 300 US$/Day, Other travel, accommodation expenses are paid by customer only available for Canada & USA
Training includes machine operation, using the control software & trouble shooting.

Ed Maloney
08-27-2007, 3:44 PM
Hmmm. It says the cooling system is optional. So what type of cooling for this beast?

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 3:45 PM
This is what you were talking about?

http://www.engravingsys.com/_derived/x660_laser.htm_cmp_rotary-laser-computer-engravers-repair-service110_bnr.gif

http://www.engravingsys.com/images/x660.jpg
Click image for a larger view. (http://www.engravingsys.com/images/x660_big.jpg)http://www.engravingsys.com/images/pointer.gifGet Pricing
(http://www.engravingsys.com/contactus.htm)

Design:
Free standing unit with integrated cart, motorized Z axis, auto focus, X-Y beam positioning system, self-aligning spring loaded sealed bearings, stationary processing table, Quick Change Laser Cartridge™ compatibility, protected optical path, interchangeable focusing optics, flash upgradable electronics, job complete indicator, system status indicator, relocatable origin, enhanced vector cutting and rubber stamp mode.Laser Compatibility:UL-25, -30, -35, -40, -45, -50, -55 or -60 watt air-cooled, RF driven, sealed CO2 laser in the pre-aligned Quick Change Cartridge™.Focusing Optic:Standard 2.0" (50mm) focal length lens in enclosed lens cartridge; optional lenses available.Power Control:Digital power control continuously variable from 0-100%, automatic proportional pulsing and color linked power settings.Resolution:1000 x 1000 DPI, 500 x 500 DPI, 333 x 333 DPI, 250 x 250 DPI, 200 x 200 DPI and low resolution draft mode; choice of error diffusion or half toning for grayscale images.Work Area:32" x 18" (812 x 457mm)Table Size:37" x 23" (940 x 584mm)Max. Part Size:37" wide by 23" deep x 9" thick (940 x 584 x 228mm).Computer Interface:Parallel and serial printer port; compatible with Windows XP, 2000, NT, ME, 98, 95, and HPGL.Memory Buffer:Intelligent buffer with automatic data compression stores up to 99 files with all settings; files are addressable and repeatable in any order and may be deleted after completion to free memory; buffer can be switched to single file mode.Display Panel:LCD display shows current file name, laser power, engraving speed, run time, files loaded into memory buffer, setup and diagnostic menus.Operating Modes:Optimized landscape or portrait modes with raster or vector engraving, vector cutting or combined vector/raster processes.Dimensions:38" high x 44" wide x 36.5" deep (965 x 1117 x 927mm).Weight:Approximately 300 pounds (136kg).Safety:Class IIIa interlocked safety enclosure.

Facility Requirements

Electrical:Single phase 110 VAC, 15 amp, 50/60 Hz. Single phase 220 VAC, 8 amp, 50/60 Hz.Exhaust:Outside exhaust required. Two 4" (102mm) connection requiring 500 CFM total (250 at each connection) air flow at 6 inches of water (425m3/hr at 1.5kPa).
Cooling:
Air-cooled, ambient operating range of 50°-95°F (10°F-35°C)

Tony Lenkic
08-27-2007, 4:14 PM
Jared,

For The open type galvo lasers you can check with:

"Engravers Express". They have two western Canada offices
1. Calgary office # 1-800-661-1278
2. Vancouver head office # 1-800-663-1149 (Bruce King)
Web site is : www.engraversexpress.com (http://www.engraversexpress.com)

For closed type lasers above company sells EPILOG lasers or you can check with:

A. Canadian Engravers Supply in Mississauga Ontario 1-877-795-1262
They are Universal Lasers Canadian reps.

B. Oldham Robinson Ancaster Ontario 1-800-385-7247
Oldham Robinson represents Xenetech line. Their lasers have pass through capability and are very fast engravers.
Check Xenetech.com for info and if they have reps in western Canada

C. Trotec lasers also have Mississauga On, office.

D. Canuck Technlogies are reps for Laserpro GCC lasers 1-800-866-9canuck or : www.canucktechnologies.ca (http://www.canucktechnologies.ca)

Hope this helps

Note: I do not have any interest in above named companies. Just passing info.

Tony

Mike Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 6:02 PM
Jared,

That is another Chinese system that uses the glass tube and has to be water cooled.

The picture of the Universal is the one I was talking about this is the system that Rawlings and Louisville slugger use.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 6:42 PM
Jared,

That is another Chinese system that uses the glass tube and has to be water cooled.

Is this something that I should be concerned about?

The picture of the Universal is the one I was talking about this is the system that Rawlings and Louisville slugger use.

I would imagine this would be quite pricey...would this be the one to go with if we can afford it.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 6:45 PM
Jared,

For The open type galvo lasers you can check with:

"Engravers Express". They have two western Canada offices
1. Calgary office # 1-800-661-1278
2. Vancouver head office # 1-800-663-1149 (Bruce King)
Web site is : www.engraversexpress.com (http://www.engraversexpress.com)

Thanks Tony...I had been to their website, but it wasn't very informative. I will try to give them a call tomorrow. I am interested to see how much they run.

Darren Null
08-27-2007, 6:56 PM
Is this something that I should be concerned about?
Yes. Short lifespan and (I'm told) erratic power output.

EDIT: Sorry about not knowing the lengths of baseball bats. I'm British. To me, baseball is just rounders with crash helmets.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 7:05 PM
Yes. Short lifespan and (I'm told) erratic power output. Good to know....what is the best cooling system?

EDIT: Sorry about not knowing the lengths of baseball bats. I'm British. To me, baseball is just rounders with crash helmets. That's OK, we know nothing about football/soccer:D

Mike Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 7:07 PM
Jared,

I would certainly take a look at it. (the ULS)

And yes on the Chinese systems you must be concerned about the tube life. They only give you a three month warranty and I have heard prices of 300 to 1000 to replace the tube.

If you do the math that could end up costing you between 1200.00 to 4000.00 per year in just the laser tube expense.

Joe Pelonio
08-27-2007, 7:09 PM
On my Epilog one or both sides can be removed, and there's a square opening on both ends that allows for placing an object like a bat of virtually any length into it. The interlock is on the top which can be closed.

It's not nearly as fast as the one on the video, probably would take close to 30 seconds.

For doing bats only I'd suggest looking for a smaller, lower power unit, say 25 watts that has a "pass-thru" or if you can find a dealer in Canada, look at the Chinese ones. For what you are doing the cost savings more than pays for many extra tubes.

Darren Null
08-27-2007, 7:14 PM
It's not the cooling system that's the problem- it's the cheap chinese glass tube lasers. While they initially seem cheap, you'll be replacing them in periods of months, rather than years. The cost of replacing them will amount to more in the not-too-long term than buying a machine with a metal laser unit and getting it regassed periodically.

The better laser systems (the pinnacle you showed a picture of earlier has Synrad lasers and that's a good thing) last longer. Some are water cooled, but only the higher power ones.

Plus, I've been told that the power output is "all over the place" with many of the glass lasers- maybe not too much of a problem if you're just doing 3 lines of text; but you may well find other things to vapourise in your machine.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 7:22 PM
Jared,

I would certainly take a look at it. (the ULS)

I will contact them, if LS uses it, then it must be good. I'm just afraid to see the price tag.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 7:24 PM
On my Epilog one or both sides can be removed, and there's a square opening on both ends that allows for placing an object like a bat of virtually any length into it. The interlock is on the top which can be closed..

I like this option...

For doing bats only I'd suggest looking for a smaller, lower power unit, say 25 watts that has a "pass-thru" or if you can find a dealer in Canada, look at the Chinese ones. For what you are doing the cost savings more than pays for many extra tubes.

This is a great idea, and might save some $ for the same result.

I e-mailed a Canadian rep. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow.

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 8:06 PM
When I use a full size bat, I take off the front of my Epilog. I too understand that the newer models with 24" deck and up have the top and the front interlocked with magnets. My two year old does not have the front lock.

I did inquire if a hole could be cut in the end of my Mini to allow a bat to stick out - I was told that it would void my warranty (which ran out last year) but was possible as an after market modification.

The only advantage it would give me would be the ability to place the bat on the rotator allowing full etching capability.

Personally - I chose to stick the bat out the front...

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 9:57 PM
When I use a full size bat, I take off the front of my Epilog. I too understand that the newer models with 24" deck and up have the top and the front interlocked with magnets. My two year old does not have the front lock.

I did inquire if a hole could be cut in the end of my Mini to allow a bat to stick out - I was told that it would void my warranty (which ran out last year) but was possible as an after market modification.

The only advantage it would give me would be the ability to place the bat on the rotator allowing full etching capability.

Personally - I chose to stick the bat out the front...

So the mini 24 will work, then I assume the mini 18 will work as long as you can take off the front.

How would a round piece such as the bat fit in the bed. Height (does the bed drop/adjust and I assume I would have to create a jig to prevent it from rolling.

Mike Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 9:59 PM
Jared,

All of the ULS platform systems have the front door that opens you do not have to remove any screws or panels.

Of course I did not tell you that you can defeat the interlocks:cool:

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
The mini 18 should work as the mini 24... And I believe they didn't install a lock on the front of it. They both have a 12 deep deck - you'll need to make something to hold the end sticking out the laser up. I used a retractable pole made for big-rig windshield squeegees and attached a square frame to the top of it. Now I can move it up and down with the deck to accept different height items...

The deck lowers to allow plenty of room for the bat - and yes - I cut a piece of craft foam that allows the bat to lay stable in the bed.

If you plan on color filling the bats, you might want to use a mask (blue painter's tape - laser mask tape - etc) Then fill the etching before removing the tape. Most bats have pits and grooves from the Ash grain effect. They will let your fill seep in to all the little holes not ment to be filled.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Jared,

All of the ULS platform systems have the front door that opens you do not have to remove any screws or panels.

Of course I did not tell you that you can defeat the interlocks:cool:

Does this include the versa laser?

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Guys - not sure, but with slow replay and image enhancement (yea - okay, I asked my wife what she could read on the laser machine in the video)...

http://www.visionengravers.com/products/Laser-engraving-system.html

Looks like that's a custom machine made by these cats....

Steve

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
The mini 18 should work as the mini 24... And I believe they didn't install a lock on the front of it. .

Good to know. Like I said the smaller/the less expensive the better. I suppose I could use it for other things, but for right now this would be my only use.

If you plan on color filling the bats, you might want to use a mask (blue painter's tape - laser mask tape - etc) Then fill the etching before removing the tape. Most bats have pits and grooves from the Ash grain effect. They will let your fill seep in to all the little holes not ment to be filled.

I do plan on it. Black, Silver and White. We use maple, ash and birch. Maple and Birch are quite similar and not quite as 'grainy' as ash. So masking the item for filling it basically just putting the piece of tape on it and then removing it after you fill?

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Guys - not sure, but with slow replay and image enhancement (yea - okay, I asked my wife what she could read on the laser machine in the video)...

http://www.visionengravers.com/products/Laser-engraving-system.html

Looks like that's a custom machine made by these cats....

Steve

I tried and tried to make that name out, but couldn't; video was too grainy and obviously I'm not technically sound enough to figure it out.

I will contact them about this tomorrow as they have a rep about an hour away. The same company sell the Epilog line as well so I might be able to kill two birds with one stone and have a rep at arm's length.

Jared Greenberg
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
The mini 18 should work as the mini 24... And I believe they didn't install a lock on the front of it. They both have a 12 deep deck - you'll need to make something to hold the end sticking out the laser up. I used a retractable pole made for big-rig windshield squeegees and attached a square frame to the top of it. Now I can move it up and down with the deck to accept different height items...

Stephen have you tried to do multiple bats at one time?

Stephen Beckham
08-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Please fill us in - seems like that open face laser might be a bit dangerous (what bypass?) but quite adaptive to odd shaped objects.

Finally watching the video, it seems like it's just a regular laser in Vector mode.

Might need some of those "Remaining Good Eye" signs posted....

Tony Lenkic
08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi Jared,

You are right, Engravers Express web site offers very little info.
If you would like to see more on open type galvo system google "Western Engravers". They have Vision line that Engravers Express sells in Canada.

Tony

Mike Hood
08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Look at the Pinnacle ZX systems at Signwarehouse.com

I have a 40W model and use the pass-through (front and back) all the time for larger items. You could rack 20 or more bats at a time in the laser and engrave them all at one time.

A wide table, and pass-through capability are big pluses for me.

As far as cost.. look into a Section 179 one time deduction. Great tax write-off (all in one year), and a GREAT way to add a product line to an existing business.

Here's another... what do you do with bats that aren't quite good enough quality to sell? If you split those into three pieces with a bandsaw... I KNOW you could sell stacks of them on here.

(Great awards and recognition items for softball teams and tournies)

The thing I like about the Pinnacle (and Sign Warehouse as a whole) is their eagerness to negotiate price and terms. I was able to get free shipping, AND they matched price and feature on every other manufacturer I contacted. Even exceeded the offereings of many. Good folks that I've been dealing with for several years now.

Jared Greenberg
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Jared,

You are right, Engravers Express web site offers very little info.
If you would like to see more on open type galvo system google "Western Engravers". They have Vision line that Engravers Express sells in Canada.

Tony

Submitted info on their site yesterday.

Jared Greenberg
08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Look at the Pinnacle ZX systems at Signwarehouse.com

I have a 40W model and use the pass-through (front and back) all the time for larger items. You could rack 20 or more bats at a time in the laser and engrave them all at one time..

That is great capacity, but out of my price range. I would like to be able to get something like that, but have funds tied up in a 48k lathe, and in the process of building a new shop.

Here's another... what do you do with bats that aren't quite good enough quality to sell? If you split those into three pieces with a bandsaw... I KNOW you could sell stacks of them on here.

(Great awards and recognition items for softball teams and tournies).

We put them off to the side and then usually sell the defective ones at year end for player/coaches recognition for year end stuff. We'll sell them as baby bats as well throughout the year.

We also sell the ones that are a little on the heavy/light side as 'overruns' at a discounted price.

Jared Greenberg
08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.hxlaser.com/products/laser/laser5-1.jpg
http://www.hxlaser.com/products/laser4.htm

This is one that another manufacturer is going to buy. It is approx $5k. It is one of the 'chinese' ones that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Replacement tubes are $330.

Engraving area is just over 35/23 allowing me to do 9 bats at one time.

Any feedback on this guy?

Jim Watkins
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Just from my recent experience since I just got my unit, the newer EPILOG mini 24 does have magnet safety mechinism for the front door pannel, but it no longer takes a scew driver to open. This is on the newest models. The used one I looked into buying prior to buying the unit I got, was a model from 2006 and you had to unscrew the door to open it.

I hope that helps.

Mike Mackenzie
08-28-2007, 1:01 PM
Jared,

Only the professional series not the Versa Lasers.

mike wallis
08-28-2007, 1:09 PM
Just from my recent experience since I just got my unit, the newer EPILOG mini 24 does have magnet safety mechinism for the front door pannel, but it no longer takes a scew driver to open. This is on the newest models. The used one I looked into buying prior to buying the unit I got, was a model from 2006 and you had to unscrew the door to open it.

I hope that helps.

Hi Jim, so if the door is removed will the laser fire?

I have a (January 2007) Epilog Mini 24 and it has the front door with screws.

Jared Greenberg
08-28-2007, 1:15 PM
Jared,

Only the professional series not the Versa Lasers.

That's what i thought.

Jim Watkins
08-28-2007, 3:18 PM
No it will not fire(not supposed to anyway). My distributer told me that this non screw front door was a new item for 2007. My unit was produced in I think April 2007. It is just held closed by magnets.

It is my understanding that the safety's can be bypassed, but I didn't ask how as to put them in a bad position.

But when asking about the used unit, they did tell me that the same safeties were on last years units. It sounds like yours may have been one of the last to have the screw in front door, or mine is one of the first to have the magnetic.

My unit was a floor distributer demo model and I got a great deal so it may have been one of the first units sent out for the distributers to show off.

Jared Greenberg
08-29-2007, 3:00 PM
I just received a call from the Epilog rep. I am going to go down to Calgary next week for a demo. He invited me to bring a bunch of product and show me how it works. Maybe I can get a few pointers on color filling as well.

This will allow me to see exactly how and what to do. I am much more of a visiual person and these new toys sometimes overwhelm me with my lack of knowledge so this will be a good trip.

Anytime I plan a purchase like this I like to prepare a list of quesitons. Are there any that I should ask? I have a few already but the technical things I am not aware of. Part replacement, stocking etc...basically what maintence etc.

He said they had the mini 24 and the helix on for the same price...$14K (CDN)...is this a good price? He also suggested 45-60 Watts for the wood application. I don' thave to pay for shipping. They do have a lease option. I like the idea of having the dealer an hour away.

Any thoughts, comments recommendations are welcomed.

Scott Shepherd
08-29-2007, 3:18 PM
Ask about the extended warranty. Probably well worth the money as it covers the tube. Recharging the tube without the warranty, should you need to (and there's no way to predict if you will need to), will pay for the warranty, plus you'll get coverage on all the other items.

Ed Maloney
08-29-2007, 3:27 PM
Ask about the extended warranty. Probably well worth the money as it covers the tube. Recharging the tube without the warranty, should you need to (and there's no way to predict if you will need to), will pay for the warranty, plus you'll get coverage on all the other items.

I negotiated a 2 year warranty and the metal stand to be thrown in for free.

Jared Greenberg
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Is 14K a good price? I would like to go there with a price that I am willing to pay.

Joe Pelonio
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I just received a call from the Epilog rep. I am going to go down to Calgary next week for a demo. He invited me to bring a bunch of product and show me how it works. Maybe I can get a few pointers on color filling as well.

I hope I'm wrong but would be surprised if the rep knows much about color filling, unless he used to do engraving prior to getting into laser sales. When I bought mine the rep was not even able to do much in Corel.

If one model has the built in vacuum table I'd get it. No need to do bats, but really handy for a lot of other work.

$14k is about $13.2k US, for comparison purposes I paid $16k over 3 years ago, so to me that's a bargain.

Bill Cunningham
08-30-2007, 8:30 PM
Jared; If I remember right, I think I paid about 17k ($cdn) 4 years ago when our buck was still in the basement, but on it's way up. Remember, if you have a GST# you get that 6% back as well Eh!