PDA

View Full Version : Reeves drive testimonials

Kurt Whitley
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I often recommend lathes to noobies who ask.

Rex's post about his Palmgren VS problems and Gordon's response got me wondering to what extent Reeves drives are categorically problematic.

I suspect many low-end Reeves drive lathes have problems, but wonder where a nicer lathe like the Jet 1442 sits.

I'm hoping those of you who have Reeves drives can post:
1) what lathe it is
2) how long you've had it
3) has the drive been "trouble-free", required "adjustments", resulted in "failure".

I've had two which represent both extremes

Powermatic 90
25+ years old
trouble-free (ocassionally add oil at fitting per manual)

Delta 14" Iron Bed 46-715
5 months until I got my money back
Failure (twice in 5 months)

Cheers,
Kurt

Gordon Seto
06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Kurt,

I think the problem with current Reeves drives is that it is being phased out with the electronic variable speed control.

25+ years ago, Powermatic used the best material and quality control on their then flagship lathes with Reeves Drive. Now EVS has replaced the mechanical VS at Powermatic.
The EVS has trickled down to some entry level lathes (even mini lathes). New models with Reeves drive only serve as a gap between the step pulley and EVS. They are cutting too many corners. All the newer models introduced were replacing their Reeves drives with EVS. Even the new clones are moving to EVS.

Even if the Reeves drive holds up as well as the Powermatic 90, I still want my EVS.

Gordon

Kurt Whitley
06-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Gordon,

There is still a "no man's land" for EVS between mini's and lathes over $1000. This probably will disappear in time, but not too soon.

Jet has had many inquiries about making an EVS version of their new 1220 midi. They will not make one because they would be plagued with unhappy customers who cannot turn a 11" NE bowl at 400 rpm because the motor doesn't have the torque for it.

My understanding is that the type of EVS offered on minis sacrifices torque in the interest of offering an inexpensive EVS system. The more expensive VFD system used on nicer machines is more efficient, but since it costs what it does, it doesn't make since to put it on a good 12 to 14" swing lathe would end up close to the cost of a 16"+ EVS lathe.

Cheers,
Kurt

PS: Didn't you once own a Reeves drive lathe? In the spirit of my original post, can you offer your experience with it?

Paul Engle
06-14-2007, 2:49 PM
I have a Jet 1236 w/Reeves. I grease the drive shaft once a month or 40 hrs with a grease injector. Hand grease the driven shaft at the same time, Have had mine since Oct 06 and not one single hiccupp since.I have over 60 bowls 8 to 16 in on it , half the time with the hs turned away from the bed. Several out of balance pieces and runs as smooth as the day It came to rest in my shop.the drive is a little noisy at low speed, i have a 3/4 hp DC mtr w/ speed control i mount on it for the BIG stuff using the driven pully stuck in 3rd or 4th gear.I know it may void the warranity but boy golly sure gets the rpm down to under 300.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-14-2007, 3:03 PM
Kurt I owned my Jet 1442 with a Reeves drive when I started out and the only drive related problem I had was changing the belt about every three months or so. I know some have had other issues with the 1442 but not the Reeves drive, at least not that I've heard of. The Jet is a fine lathe and the Reeves on it works very well. I put a lot of load on mine and it held up well. I kept mine a year and traded up to Robust. I just wanted more lathe.:)

Gordon Seto
06-14-2007, 3:24 PM
PS: Didn't you once own a Reeves drive lathe? In the spirit of my original post, can you offer your experience with it?

Yes, my first lathe was the Jet 1236. It got me hooked in turning, but I find using the Jet Mini at Woodcraft open turn was more enjoyable. The smaller Jet has less vibration. My lathe was in the unheated garage, sometimes the speed change lever always had a mind of its own when cold. I had to spray the mechanism good with lubricant and worked the spring couple times to make it move freely.

Another weakness on Reeves Drive is that I can only change the speed while the lathe is running. Sometimes I forgot to turn the speed down before I mounted an off-balance blank.

I traded my Jet 1236 for the Jet mini VS. The mini was never meant to be a production lathe. I don't find its lack of torque a problem. I think its lack of mass and the relative high minimum rpm of 500 are putting a lid on the size the mini can handle.

Kurt, I think you are right, there is an absence of good lathe in the under $1000 category that can provide good capacity and features. The highly recommended Nova 1624 doesn't even equipped with variable speed!

I have full confidence in the free market. If the new Jet 1220 is not selling well because it lacks variable speed; we are going to see the VS model real soon. I also think Jet is heavily discounting the 1642 because Grizzly has a clone introduced in the market recently.

I now have a DVR also and having used some 1st class lathes at other members' workshops; there is no looking back.

Gordon

Dick Strauss
06-14-2007, 3:49 PM
I've had a Delta 1440 (46-715) for the last 18 months and haven't had any problems with it. Every once in a while I do open the cover and massage the pulley halves to make sure the reeves drive isn't gummed up with grease and dust.

There are ways to slow the Delta down to under 150 rpms. I also plan to add an EVS system to my 1440. It will cost about $300 if I'm patient and do the work myself. This will bring the total cost of my Delta 14" EVS lathe to ~$700.

Hopefully one of the manufacturers will see this opportunity in the $500-$1000 lathe category and provide woodturners with a few more options.

Curt Fuller
06-14-2007, 6:50 PM
My 1954 Oliver 159a is still going strong, smooth, and quiet. It gets greased every month or so. The guy I bought it from owned it for about 25 years and claims the belt is still the original. He bought it at a surplus school auction so it more than likely had some substantial use in it's first 3 decades. But keep in mind, it is an actual Reeves Drive, not just a reeves type drive. I would like to some day put a variable speed contoller on the motor to be able to slow the minimum speed down below 600 rpms though.

Chip Sutherland
06-14-2007, 7:30 PM
I can report no problems with mine.

Jim Becker
06-14-2007, 9:05 PM
There is one particular feature of the Reeves drive that I have always felt concern with...the need for the machine to be running to change the speed. No big deal if you are running too slow and want to speed up, but when you accidentally forget to reduce to minimum at the end of a day or completion of a project and then mount something big and/or out of balance, it could make for a dangerous situation. One must condition oneself to always be in the habit of both getting the machine to minimum when appropriate and always checking it before starting the day or a new project. Someone already mentioned the belt wear downside already.

On the upside, the Reeves system provides a low cost variable speed solution that is certainly a nice alternative to fixed ratio lathes.

Barry Elder
06-14-2007, 9:17 PM
I've had a Jet 1236 since early 2005 and no problems other than cheap belts. I did have to replace parts of the tailstock but that was my fault.

Dick Strauss
06-15-2007, 1:22 PM
Jim,
I'm still on my original belt after two years (even with the speed mods). I probably need to replace it and have one on hand but haven't had a problem with slippage (except once when I wanted to turn and it was below zero in the garage).

With a reeves drive...if you forget and leave the speed set too high for your next piece, you can grab the speed handle and turn it to slow the piece as the motor comes up to speed (about 2-3 sec). I do this every so often without issue.

Jim Becker
06-15-2007, 3:03 PM
With a reeves drive...if you forget and leave the speed set too high for your next piece, you can grab the speed handle and turn it to slow the piece as the motor comes up to speed (about 2-3 sec). I do this every so often without issue.

Yup...you can. But I suspect that many folks don't notice in time; hence, my caution. It's important to remember that the origins of these machines was for spindle turning where such an issue is of less import than with the now most popular bowl and vessel arena.

Gordon Seto
06-15-2007, 4:11 PM
Jim,

I totally agree. When my head is on the line, I don't want to put my faith on the drive won't happen to stick this one time.

To frame Kurt's question differently: How many who have moved from Reeves Drive to EVS missed their Reeves drives? would rather have their Reeves drives back? I understand that is an unfair question, because lathes with EVS usually are higher end lathes.

Gordon

Jim Becker
06-15-2007, 4:14 PM
To frame Kurt's question differently: How many who have moved from Reeves Drive to EVS missed their Reeves drives? would rather have their Reeves drives back? I understand that is an unfair question, because lathes with EVS usually are higher end lathes.

I can't even imagine that...

Chuck Lenz
06-15-2007, 5:03 PM
The Oliver 159MW that I have, you have to bring the speed down before you can shut it off. It's all on the speed dial. So starting it up at a higher speed other than slow shouldn't be a issue.

Bobby Perry
06-15-2007, 7:25 PM
I have the Palmgren drive and the only problem I have had is the front bearing went out. Nothing to do with the reeves drive though. Got the replacement headstock and now the drive is not working right. Going to run it for another week and see if it will break completely then get it replaced. Mays a lot of noise and doesn't need greasing.

Kurt Whitley
06-15-2007, 7:43 PM
Jim,
Gordon

Actually, that doesn't frame my question at all and seems, at best, a rhetorical question. Why would you suppose anyone would prefer Reeves drive over EVS? I certainly was not suggesting that PM should bring back the Reeves drive on their 3520.

My request for testimonials is primarily aimed at determining to what extent the reeves drives are unreliable. My own experience with the PM90 makes it clear that the Reeves drive is capable of being very reliable.
My experience with the Delta 46-715 makes it clear that the Reeves drive can be executed very poorly.
The questions is which lathes execute the Reeves drive poorly and which lathes execute it well. Is it possible for an inexpensive lathe to properly execute a Reeves drive?

Bill posted a link on the AAW forum cautioning people against a design issue for the Reeves drive of the Delta 46-715. However, is it correct to believe that these problems represent other Reeves drive lathes?

Cheers,
Kurt

Gordon Seto
06-15-2007, 9:29 PM
Kurt,

I don't know my assumption is right or not.

I believe the Reeves Drive mechanism before the EVS were mostly good. They were one of the desirable feature on the better lathes at that era. Therefore better material was used and they were built to last.

When EVS replaces the Reeves Drive on the top line lathes, Reeves drive technology was put into the 2nd tier lathes. In order to be price competitive, every corner has been cut - manufacturers knowingly use some less durable material and design.

Those old Rockwell/Delta irons that were taken out because the closing of high school shop classes still hold up; while the new Delta Reeves Drive lathes were falling apart.

Please don't blame China for the problem. The quality has already gone down hill before they were manufactured in China. On the other hand, I don't think the 3520B is made in the USA either. We can decide which brand we are going to buy based on quality and price. Companies can also choose which factory they are going to order from, what quality standard they are going to accept.

Gordon

Rex Guinn
06-16-2007, 8:14 AM
I bought the Palmgren 15" lathe in December 06 and have turned about 25 bowls from 4" to 12" Dia. No problems until this week and Palmgren is sending me a new head. For the price it can't be beat. I guess all products have a problem at one time or another. I think it's a good starting lathe to see if you really get hooked. (I have been!) just keep buying more tools that I can use with this lathe or a new higher $$$ one.