PDA

View Full Version : OT:Which used truck should I buy and why

Jack Diemer
01-10-2004, 8:31 PM
Getting ready to buy my 1st truck. Can't go any longer than 230 inches, so its an Ford F150, Chevy 1500, or a DodgeRam. Drove the Ford Ranger today and didn't like it.

Give me the good the bad and the ugly for feedback.

Mike Evertsen
01-10-2004, 8:52 PM
they are all good trucks I had a '90 GMC alot of miles but still run's good (it's a stick and getting harder for me to use the clutch),,,,I just bought a '95 dakota (automatic) it has 95,000 miles runs good I also have a 94" explorer with 111.000 miles,,,I know these are older than what your probaly looking at,,,what I'm saying is like buying tools II don't think one truck is better than another just drive a few see what you like,,,,,

John Shuk
01-10-2004, 11:10 PM
You might want to think about a toyota tundra as well. They are really nice. I'm partial to Ford otherwise. Dodge seems to have tranny issues. The toyotas seem to give a long trouble free life.

John Miliunas
01-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Jack, my truck is a '92 Chev S-10, but that's mainly because it's what I can afford and got a heckuva' deal on it with super-low mileage. If I were shopping for new or near-new, I would definitely be looking at the Toyota's. Not to be unpatriotic, but I know several people with the Tojo's and they simply love them all the way around. Good resale value when you're ready to trade or sell and a real tough truck to "kill". :cool:

Steve Powell
01-11-2004, 1:22 AM
I have an '03 Chevy Avalanche and cannot say enough good things about it. Where else can you haul the family around like a Tahoe and then keep 4'x8' sheets of sheetrock dry while you take them home in the rain? Best choice I've ever made and the wife loves it too!

Tony Falotico
01-11-2004, 8:04 AM
Chevy / GM seems to dominate in the North Florida area, although I'm beginning to see more and more Fords lately. Personally, I don't like Chrysler products, never had much luck with them. I drive an '83 GMC, last of the true step-side's and wood beds. I replaced the original in line six engine about two years ago with a 305 V8 and it is a strong truck. I also have a 94 Ford Ranger extended Cab (3.0 liter V6) I bought new, my daughter's had it for the past 7 yrs, but it has been a great truck. Has better than 150,000 miles and still strong as an ox. My son in law has a 93 GMC he bought new, and after 11 yrs of hard use (and abuse?) it is still in really good shape. We replaced the original 4.3 liter V6 engine in his last year (after just under 200,000 miles on the old engine) with a 350 V8 and it is still running strong.

As you can tell, I'm not into truck payments and high priced trucks. Just make sure it hasn't been beat up and has enough engine to go the long haul. I would not own a four cylinder. The sixes are strong and last a good long time, but nothing can beat a good ol' V8. Auto or stick, that's your choice. My days of jamming gears are long gone, gotta be auto for me.

Just my humble opinions, good luck shopping. Tony

Mark Singer
01-11-2004, 8:19 AM
I love my Toyota Tundra...great ride. I bought it new for only $13,500! It was a lose leader...a Friday special.CD player AC, Long bed...a full sheet fits inside. Great suspension,

John Shuk
01-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Just think with a Toyota...No sparkplugs, No hoses all over the place, oil changes are a breeze. Look under the hood of one. It is such a well thought out setup. Like buying the a good tool you will get a reliable machine.

Jim Becker
01-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Although I hesitate to ruffle the feathers of the GM/Ford/Dodge folks, I'd also have to chime in on the Tundra...if you can locate one used within the price range you want to pay, you will be very pleased. Mine has been awesome and trouble-free. The only thing I've had to replace on my 2000 has been the battery...which has a life-span, anyway.

John is correct about easy maintenance, although I'll mention that if you have the off-road package ("standard" on many on the lots), getting to the oil filter is a little more work...but for $23, I let the dealer...err...deal with that.

Mark Singer
01-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Copy cat! You get whatever I get and you get it first.

Doug Jones
01-11-2004, 1:56 PM
The new Nissan Titan,, if your going new. However on my budget I'd settle for a small truck with a trailer.

Robert Goodwin
01-11-2004, 2:38 PM
I would also vote for the Tundra, although I am not sure it meets your length requirements. I am at work right now or I would run out with a Tape Measure. The Tundra seems long, but it maybe that it is my first full size truck. It gives me the excuse to park it in the driveway and use its space for shop overflow :)

Thanks,
Rob

Dave Hammelef
01-11-2004, 4:04 PM
I must say you are all WAY off base.

What you need is a Cheverolet Corvair Rampside, made from 61-64 I think. Could look it up. Can get one in great shape for about 10K. Easy to work on. Open the side ramp and wheel Here is a link to a good pic of one with the ramp down.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/detailbig.cfm/Autos__ID/203207

Thats the Pickup Im getting someday.

Ed Falis
01-11-2004, 4:26 PM
I was just reading the Sunday paper, and Toyota appears to be coming out with a pickup that's bigger than the Tundra, and apparently is a diesel/electric hybrid. Ought to be interesting.

- Ed

Joe Suelter
01-11-2004, 7:45 PM
You might want to think about a toyota tundra as well. They are really nice. I'm partial to Ford otherwise. Dodge seems to have tranny issues. The toyotas seem to give a long trouble free life.
I have to disagree to a point...the 97 and older Dodge's did have their share of transmission trouble...however, I have a 99 4x4 5.9 that is used extensively to tow a 5000lb. tag trailer and a utility trailer loaded and have had no problems with the transmission at all...(knock on wood). I think that it was said earlier, get whatever truck YOU like, not one that everybody else says to get.I for one wouldn't have a GM product given to me, but that's just me! Other people prefer them over Ford or Dodge, its a matter of personal preference really. Good luck in your quest for a new truck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Dan Smith
01-12-2004, 7:49 AM
I have a 03 Ram 3/4 ton with the Cummins. If I would have gone with a gaser, I would have looked hard at the Tundra, but with putting 35K miles on a truck each year, I wanted something that would last longer than the payments.

Do your research, there are good and bad about every truck. There are message boards about each almost as good as SMC!! Read through them, but don't believe everything on them, half the stuff is just "mine is better than yours" stuff anyway.

Good luck,

-dan

Jim Becker
01-12-2004, 8:32 PM
I have a 03 Ram 3/4 ton with the Cummins. If I would have gone with a gaser, I would have looked hard at the Tundra, but with putting 35K miles on a truck each year, I wanted something that would last longer than the payments.

LOL!! I may actually hit 35k miles in a few months! (total) Planes and trains leave the truck parked, unike when I used to put on real miles a few years ago. But I agree, the diesel is the ticket for major miles.

Dan Smith
01-13-2004, 7:39 AM
LOL!! I may actually hit 35k miles in a few months! (total) Planes and trains leave the truck parked, unike when I used to put on real miles a few years ago. But I agree, the diesel is the ticket for major miles.

Yeah, the 100 mile per day commute (Belvidere to Piscataway) really adds up fast, but we love the area we have our house, so it is worth it. Plus the commute gives me time to leave work at work, so that I can forget about it while I am home.

David Perkins
01-13-2004, 1:49 PM
Getting ready to buy my 1st truck. Can't go any longer than 230 inches, so its an Ford F150, Chevy 1500, or a DodgeRam. Drove the Ford Ranger today and didn't like it.

Give me the good the bad and the ugly for feedback.

Jack pick out the truck you like maybe two or three and have your mechanic check it out. It pays to have it checked out. My mechanic doesn’t charge me for this service but does for non regular customers. Some of the items to pay attention to are

Engine look for oil leaks, have compression leak down test done to determine engine condition, anything under 15% leakage is good under 10% is great. Listen to it when it starts and listen for unusual noise.

Transmission if automatic check the fluid condition if a bright pink it may have just been serviced as maintance or possibly to cover a problem ask questions on this part. Check for firm but smooth shift points both up and down and for leaks. Some leaks are cheap to fix while others require removing the trans.
Manual trans, check for smooth clutch pedal travel with no binding or popping. While driving feel how smooth the clutch engages and how the trans shifts. Listen for noises in the higher gears.
Brakes are fairly inexpensive to repair compared to other items but pads and shoes should be in good shape (more than 3/32" of lining material), while stopping it should be smooth and no pulsations.
Drive gear and steering linkages should be in tight and good shape with no leaks in differentials and steering gear.
Finally the on board computer should be checked for current and pending codes indicating a problem (usually minor).

Most of all you should feel safe and comfortable driving this truck and have the amenities you are looking for.
David

Robert Mickley
01-18-2004, 9:40 PM
Well I currently have a 93 Ford that I bought 16 months ago. While I'm not a ford fan it was the best bang for the buck I could find at the time.. Considering I had to have a 3/4 ton and a club cab or 4 door.
biggest complaints
The 351 is a joke for power, considering it's a 9600# GVW truck with a towing package. The

seats are uncomfortable on a long ride

and if it drops below Zero it aint starting

and the wipers suck above 65 or in the extremem cold

The plus side, for a heavy suspension it does ride nice, and it handles well

you can put 2 tons of stone in the back and it just sits there like it's nothing.

As for the Tundra, my niece has on it's ok but I'm not impressed. while it rides and drives great anything over a 900 pounds payload and the driving characteristics start going south. But it is dependable. she has had it 3 years now and last i looked she had 60,000 on it. And trust me this girl ain't easy on trucks.

Her brother has a 96 dodge 1 Ton crew cab, cummins diesel ,Nice Truck runs great, no trans problems, oh wait it's a standard, the auto trans where the ones with problems. He routinel pulls a 30 foor tri axle with it hauling a 580 case backhoe and a 500 IH bulldozer. he's put 125,000 on it and hasn't done a thing to it but routine maintnenece.

This si one of those things they all make good trucks and they all make junk ones. none of them are perfect. Good luck with what ever you get