PDA

View Full Version : pic of first pens and first time on a lathe for that matter

John Nowack
06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I am sure that I did not attach these photos; correctly. I Actually just scaned them on a scanner. I went to a music store and got some guitar cord out of the trash but I am still not able to burn the black lines into my pens. The guys at wood craft said that is what I should use. Could my machine be turning to slow? it is an old 1975 craftsman with a small ice pick like point on the "Dead stock" (I think that is what it is called). After turning just four pens it seems to be getting ground down and warn away. I insert the dead end into the mandral like the video show and it did start to smoke once from old oil that was on it. Am I supposed to oil the tip of the dead stock?

Craig D Peltier
06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I dont know about your lathe issue, but picture when I click on it nothing happens. You should upload from digital camera into JPG format for a smaller size.Click new post and then click on Paper clip above the type and upload it to the popup making sure its under the size requirements. Then shrink( - button) it down so its on your bar below and then next to paperclip click arrow an click on the picture then it should show some script on your body of post. Then u can click preview and see if its big or not.

Bill O'Conner
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
you need a live center (60°) to turn pens you'll burn up the end of the Mandrel if you use the dead center

and I think you'll need to turn the pens faster to burn the lines in ( I cut a thin line with the skew and than burn with the wire must be held tight, and pressed frimly against the wood)

Bill

John Nowack
06-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks bill,
Any

John Nowack
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
hit wrong button. Any ideas were to look for a "live center" for an old cfraftsman lathe. I was worried about finding parts when i went with the cheaper route. i have really injoyed my time turning so far so don't want to get shut down tryingto find old parts. i assume that the lie center is one that will spin witht he mandrel??

Patrick Taylor
06-14-2007, 10:46 AM
hit wrong button. Any ideas were to look for a "live center" for an old cfraftsman lathe. I was worried about finding parts when i went with the cheaper route. i have really injoyed my time turning so far so don't want to get shut down tryingto find old parts. i assume that the lie center is one that will spin witht he mandrel??

I have no idea what will fit your lathe (does it have a morse taper?) but yes a live center is one with bearings that spins with the mandrel. The 60 degrees is the angle of the point that goes into the end of the mandrel. Hopefully someone with a craftsman lathe will jump in with some advice on a live center that will fit.

As for the photo, use a jpeg that is smaller than 107kb, and hit the paperclip icon to attach it to your post. In the tiny picture, the pens look great, so I hope to see them a bit closer! ;)

Don Orr
06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
John, you need to know what size the taper socket is in the tailstock (non motorized part on the right end of the lathe if you're not sure). If this is a tube rail type lathe from that era, it is probably a #1 Morse taper. Mine is. If you look in the big Craftsman catalog, they may still carry them. You can also try some of the machining supply catalogs like Enco, MSC, etc.

I found an item # of 00925356000 on the Sears site, model #25356, $14.99.

Patrick Taylor
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
John, you need to know what size the taper socket is in the tailstock (non motorized part on the right end of the lathe if you're not sure). If this is a tube rail type lathe from that era, it is probably a #1 Morse taper. Mine is. If you look in the big Craftsman catalog, they may still carry them. You can also try some of the machining supply catalogs like Enco, MSC, etc.

I found an item # of 00925356000 on the Sears site, model #25356, $14.99.

Your local woodcraft should have MT1 live centers too, if that's the size that will work for you. Or other turning supply places like craft supplies USA.

John Nowack
06-18-2007, 9:17 AM
Thanks, we finally figured it out. i went it to the WC store 3 time and on the third time a guy asked me to bring the tail stock back in again. Everyone else had no idea what to think it because it looked like a solid dead stock with no morse taper. he busted out the hammer nd we went to banging on it. any way the old part fell out and low and be hold there was a simple morse taper right there the whole time. I was back to turning in no time and it only cost $17 rather than the $250 I was ready to spend at that point

Ernie Nyvall
06-18-2007, 6:46 PM
I was back to turning in no time and it only cost $17 rather than the $250 I was ready to spend at that point

If that's the case, I'd suggest that you purchase a Jet mini before you buy a bunch of accessories for the craftsman. Just trying to help you spend some money.:D

Nancy Laird
06-18-2007, 8:12 PM
I suggest you look at a WoodTek midi before you buy anything else. I'm also trying to help you spend your money.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Nancy