PDA

View Full Version : Marine Sword to be engraved, Very Nervous Help!

Tracey Bakewell
06-13-2007, 9:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am about to be brought a Marine's sword they want personalized for a grandson. I haven't seen it yet and am guessing the best place to engrave would be on the metal itself.

Anyone out there done a sword like this yet? If so, how did it turn out and would you mind sharing your settings?

I doubt the guy will be very open to letting me test a small dot somewhere :D

Let me know, thanks!
Sincerely,
Very Nervous :(
Tracey

Mike Mackenzie
06-13-2007, 9:56 PM
Tracy,

Its funny I just did a sword for one of our customers that could not fit it into there system.

If it is similar they have a small area that is reserved for the engraving, You will need to use Cerdec just coat the area that needs to be engraved.

We used 45 power and 35 speed be sure to use your image enhancements. In the advanced tab select Image enhancements and calculate then cut the definition number in half due to your system being a 50 watt.

It works great and the cerdec stuck really good. Use the red diode pointer to get the area to mark.

I would post a pic but i did not take one good luck.

Tracey Bakewell
06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Well! The guy just left, it appears the sword is chrome, and the handle is gold plated brass..., the gold plating has worn off so it's just raw brass. He actually gave me the opportunity to disassemble the handle so I could practice on the chrome hiding under the handle, worked great! Next is to practice on the handle. He said he'll just buff out the handle if it doesn't work. I am so happy this guy is so UNDERSTANDING!

The settings were:
Power - 75%
Speed - 8%
Max image quality

I will do the job probably next week and post a pic!!!

Thanks!
Tracey

Brian Robison
06-14-2007, 8:34 AM
Tracy,
Take a piece of the blue painters tape and use it to get your location down. I have 25 watts and I use 100% speed and 50 % power for this. I use Thermark and Cermark at 100% power and 5% speed on stainless,
(I don't have enough wattage to do Brass)

Jeff Lehman
06-14-2007, 7:00 PM
I have one from my time in, and you're right, you're lucky he is so understanding. I wouldn't place mine in my laser :)

If its genuine they are very expensive, but if he can buff out the brass its np. His must be a NCO Sword. There's also the Officer Sword, which looks a little different. Just my 2 cents...

The pics below show the NCO sword on the left and the officer sword on the right.