PDA

View Full Version : Just a Lttle Dirty, After All She's a Lady

Christopher K. Hartley
06-13-2007, 7:51 PM
I got of a bit earlier than anticipated so of to the shop I went. Had to take Beauty off her casters and level her out. I really liked th heavy duty pads provided and she is now solid as a rock.

Then I just had to turn her on and WOW!!! quiet isn't even the word for her. I could hardly hear her at all. I had been to one of our local Turning Store to look at a Oneway and it was noisy compared to this. Of coarse it was an older model. I don't know how the new ones are. The variable speed is a dream and she runs smoother than I had ever dreamed.

I put an Elm HF I was working on before but never completed and gave it a few cuts at different speeds. All I can say is I'm gonna really like this lathe. I can't believe the difference between this and my Jet.

With vacuum setup and light in place she is starting to take shape. Oh, and yes. I will be getting her real dirty!!!:D :D :D

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 8:08 PM
Chris I'm glad you finally got your hot Rod running. Congradulations! You can breathe now, it's ok.:D None of the attachments are working for me though.:cool:

Jason Boushard
06-13-2007, 8:16 PM
do you have a link to the place where you bought it I have been looking at a powermatic but thought I might go this route.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-13-2007, 8:19 PM
do you have a link to the place where you bought it I have been looking at a powermatic but thought I might go this route. Here it is Jason. Well worth every dollar.:) http://www.turnrobust.com/

Christopher K. Hartley
06-13-2007, 8:25 PM
I don't know what I did wrong in posting the pics that it only shows links. As I was building this thread they showed up prior to submission. Any help appreciated.:confused:

Jim Becker
06-13-2007, 8:37 PM
Christopher, according to the error messages, the attachments referred to are not on SMC. Try "removing" them and re-uploading.

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 8:50 PM
Chris, I just watched the video. WOW THATS THE COOLEST LATHE. I love the tilt down feature and the stainless bed is briliant. That has to be the most well thought out lathe known to man. I also like the magnetic power box. If you're turning off the end your power goes with you. The icing too is the fact that the head doesn't get in the way when you're trying to get under the bottom of a piece. Again that is the most impressive machine I've seen. :) Congradulations again and again. I do have one question though, what is the speed range and is it variable or fixed speeds?

Jim Becker
06-13-2007, 8:52 PM
Bill, variable speed. (VFD and 3-phase motor...pretty much standard in this class machine)

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2007, 9:25 PM
I am impressed!!! Looking forward to reading your detailed review - with lots of pics!!

Dennis Peacock
06-13-2007, 9:36 PM
And a beauty she is Chris.....Congrats!!!!!! :cool:

Dave Sinkus
06-13-2007, 9:36 PM
What a beauty.....and the video demo was interesting.

Happy turning.....looking forward to seeing your work

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2007, 9:52 PM
Congrats Christopher! She's indeed a beauty! May she serve you well!

Christopher K. Hartley
06-14-2007, 6:42 AM
Chris, I just watched the video. WOW THATS THE COOLEST LATHE. I love the tilt down feature and the stainless bed is briliant. That has to be the most well thought out lathe known to man. I also like the magnetic power box. If you're turning off the end your power goes with you. The icing too is the fact that the head doesn't get in the way when you're trying to get under the bottom of a piece. Again that is the most impressive machine I've seen. :) Congradulations again and again. I do have one question though, what is the speed range and is it variable or fixed speeds?
Bill here are the stats: Motor and Drive
Motor
Leeson 2 or 3 HP. 1750 RPM, AC Totally enclosed, fan cooled, with C‑Face mount
Drive
Open Loop Vector Variable frequency drive
Pulley and
Speed Range
Three-step polygroove pulley provides high torque over multiple speed ranges: 50-800, 100‑1800, and 150-2800 RPM
Controls
Forward, Reverse, Stop, Variable Speed, Emergency Stop
Voltage
220 VAC, single phase, 50 or 60 Hz

Mark Cothren
06-14-2007, 6:52 AM
Very impressive machine, Mr. Hartley!

Leo Pashea
06-14-2007, 8:52 AM
Here it is Jason. Well worth every dollar.:) http://www.turnrobust.com/

I couldn't agree more. It's an outstanding machine that IS a pleasure to turn on. Anyone considering a large capacity lathe would serve themselves well by taking a serious look at Robust. I stepped up to Robust from a PM, and there is simply no comparison.

Mark Pruitt
06-14-2007, 8:55 AM
Way to go Chris!
That piece you have mounted looks to be shaping up nicely too. Git 'er dun!:D

Mark Cothren
06-14-2007, 9:46 AM
I couldn't agree more. It's an outstanding machine that IS a pleasure to turn on. Anyone considering a large capacity lathe would serve themselves well by taking a serious look at Robust. I stepped up to Robust from a PM, and there is simply no comparison.

Hey Leo, I'd love to hear some specific comparisons between the two (since you've owned both) if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'm not shopping - just curious. I watched the video on Robust's site and am impressed.

Also looking forward to hearing more from you on the Robust, Chris!

Tom Sherman
06-16-2007, 9:00 AM
Chris she's looking good with a slight coating of shavings. I'm sure she'll be up to any task you ask of her. Congratulations.

Andy Hoyt
06-16-2007, 12:48 PM
A little dirty? A little dirty? That barely qualifies for a bit of spinach in her teeth.

I know she's a lady and stuff, but stop with this two minute waltz stuff already and get her doing the watusi.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-16-2007, 2:56 PM
A little dirty? A little dirty? That barely qualifies for a bit of spinach in her teeth.

I know she's a lady and stuff, but stop with this two minute waltz stuff already and get her doing the watusi.

Eye eye Cap'n!:D Soon as I'm back from the next sail I'll batten her down and get er done.:eek:

Keith Burns
06-16-2007, 4:14 PM
Great lookin' setup Chris !!! I agree with Andy, you call that dirty ??