PDA

View Full Version : Making Music

Schuyler Ingle
06-13-2007, 7:24 PM
I have a friend who plays congas, you know, the big hand drum that's at the center of Latin music. The guy's a professional musician. It seems that for the longest time he's been looking for the perfect pair of maracas. When he found out I had recently acquired a lathe and had been quietly turning perfectly nice wood into piles of chips, he insisted I make him a pair of maracas. I said I would see what I could do.
So, here's my first ever question on this forum (which, by the way, has been like finding the perfect family doctor): Anyone out there have any ideas about turning maracas? You got your bell you fill with seeds or dried beans, and then the handle to fit.
Thanks, Schuyler

Stephen Hibbs
06-13-2007, 7:31 PM
if you're newer to turning and/or don't have a hollowing set up, it would be easiest to turn a handle and half the hollow part as one, then turn a top half to the dome and glue them together.

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 7:38 PM
I would also make them very thin maby 1/8th inch if you can.

Richard Madison
06-13-2007, 8:24 PM
What kind of wood should he use? Aren't they usually made from gourds?

Jim Becker
06-13-2007, 8:41 PM
There is no reason that they couldn't be turned from wood, although many are actually made from gourds. Size/thickness will matter, however, to obtain the right sound. I'd suggest some trials to get the right combination. I would think that a hard, closed grained species would be a good idea...

Curt Fuller
06-13-2007, 9:23 PM
When I typed "maracas" into my spanish to english translator it came up with "thin walled hollow form with a few pinto beans inside and a handle plugging the hole". Now I have to give it a try.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2007, 9:29 PM
Absolutely no idea about maracas and do believe that is the first time I've ever come across someone requesting info on them. Reason I dropped in was to 'Welcome you to the Creek!!' I am sure someone here will be able to assist you. Have fun with it and make sure you post some pics of the finished product!

Schuyler Ingle
06-13-2007, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the advice and the ready welcome. I'm not set up for serious hollowing, though this might be the project to get my legs under me. The handle's a different story. I'm going to check back with my pal to see ig the gourd/handle option will do.
When I have something to show, I'll figure out how to post a photo.
Thanks again, Schuyler

TYLER WOOD
06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I have been making baby rattles in the same manner stated above. I have had good luck with ash having a great sound. I have been using bb's for the sound. It's actually not that easy to do. These have been the bain of my existence for the past three weeks.

I agreed to make one for the pregnant or just borns in the church. (12 of them in a church of 200!!!!!:eek: )flurb!!! nurf!!! gurble!!!!!

Tom Sherman
06-16-2007, 9:10 AM
Schuyler, first of all Welcome to SawMill Creek, turners forum. Glad your here. I saw a demo by a turner a few weeks ago, he turns Christmas ornaments by turning the sphere first and parting it into two pieces leaving a tenon on both ends then hollows them out and turns the handle after glueing them back together. His name is Joe Ruminski and he is from the Ashland NC area. This might be of some help I hope so.

Ernie Nyvall
06-16-2007, 9:57 AM
Welcome Schuyler. Without the hollowing setup, I agree with Stephen. This could be kinda cool. You could make several with different sized beans or whatever for different sounds.