PDA

View Full Version : Hurray

Bart Leetch
01-10-2004, 7:16 PM
I have one of the infamous Craftsman contractor table-saws. Well mine is finally up-graded. For $165 I had a new shaft made that is a full 5/8" diameter from end to end & is long enough I can put a full stack dado set on & the washer & nut & still have 2 threads showing when it is tightened & it makes a nice flat dado.

While the table saw was down with no arbor shaft I borrowed one of those Craftsman aluminum portable light weight saws from a friend & made a guide for my circular saw & made a 57" long base cabinet for my contractors saw with 6 drawers & a DC chamber.

It wasn't easy making this cabinet without my saw but it proves that tools do not make the craftsman.

Of course I did have a planer & jointer & router table still available. After all I'm not a tool masochist.

Bruce Page
01-10-2004, 7:22 PM
Excellent Bart, so they did a good job on the arbor – that’s great!

Jim Becker
01-10-2004, 9:32 PM
Bart...we need pictures!! :D

Seriously, that new arbor is certainly a life-extender for your saw. 'Glad you were able to get one made to spec and bring everything up to speed to what it should be.

Bart Leetch
01-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Bart...we need pictures!! :D

Seriously, that new arbor is certainly a life-extender for your saw. 'Glad you were able to get one made to spec and bring everything up to speed to what it should be.

One of the things I incorpurated in the change was a magnetic switch with a hindged board in front of it with a hole through it to turn on the saw & I just bump the board with my left leg to turn it off. LOML was very insistant on this being part of the upgrades.

It will be a while before I post pictures. I am making an enclosure for the back similar to the one that Wood magazine had in their magazine a couple of years ago it has also been reviewed in several Wood magazine shop improvements issues.

I have one of those box cameras & I can have a CD made of the pictures so I can post them.

The only problem with making tool bases is that now I'm looking around at my planer, jointer, combination sander, CMS & 12" & 14" band-saws.