PDA

View Full Version : Nonflammable laserable plastic

Belinda Barfield
06-13-2007, 4:44 PM
I need a product like Rowmark Lasermax that is nonflammable. Any ideas?

Larry Bratton
06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Belinda:
Might I ask you to elaborate on that? Is it for a special situation where it has to be non-flammable?

Belinda Barfield
06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, it must pass FAA burn certification.

Richard Rumancik
06-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind that if you are going to be vector cutting a plastic, the non-flammable requirement is working against you. Acrylic turns to a gas and vaporizes when cut, while many plastics cut by thermal degradation along with ejection of molten material from the air jet. When you add flame retardants to a plastic, it makes them very difficult to cut. I had some acrylic with a flame retardant and it cut very poorly. If you are only marking the material and cutting it with another process, you might be able to find something where the base is non-flammable and the coating is still laserable. But I have doubts that materials sold as "laserable" will have any flame retardants in it.

Your other option would be to see if there is any waiver for small parts and tags etc. (assuming you ARE making small parts.) In the business-machine world, I recall exemptions (UL, CSA) for parts that contributed "negligible fuel for a fire". But I have no idea if that provision exists in FAA regulations.

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I would take a guess it would have to be something in the phenolic line, maybe painted and color filled?

Just a guess, but phenolics are the only type of thing I know of that will resist heat to that degree.

Jim Huston
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
They use a ton of plastics in aircraft. Most all of the nside finish panels and over head bins are made of plastic. Years out of the loop but try GE for Kidex (or Kydex). Don't know if it is laserable or not but believe it meets FAA regs.

Belinda Barfield
06-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I would take a guess it would have to be something in the phenolic line, maybe painted and color filled?

Just a guess, but phenolics are the only type of thing I know of that will resist heat to that degree.

Thanks Scott. Thought of phenolic but haven't found a phenolic product that is laserable, only rotary engravable.

Belinda Barfield
06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
They use a ton of plastics in aircraft. Most all of the nside finish panels and over head bins are made of plastic. Years out of the loop but try GE for Kidex (or Kydex). Don't know if it is laserable or not but believe it meets FAA regs.

Jim, I'm familiar with Kydex. As a matter of fact I have a full set of samples sitting in my showroom. The clent I am working with likes the look or the Rowmark products. I hadn't thought to try Kydex because it is solid color. I'll give it a shot and see if they will accept color fill. Thanks!

Mike Null
06-14-2007, 3:31 PM
Phenolic is definitely laserable. You will probably want to color fill it.

Joe Pelonio
06-14-2007, 3:45 PM
Must have changed, maybe since 9/11. Boeing used to use a lot of PVC for that, also PVC conduit for electrical. In fact I've bought PVC sheets for signs at the Boeing surplus store, but that was late 90's.

Richard Rumancik
06-14-2007, 4:20 PM
Belinda

Better go to the website and check the MSDS on the Kydex you plan to try. They hide the info as to what Kydex is nade of - in the data sheets they say it is a proprietary alloy. But I think you will find there is PVC in it.

I cut some Kydex for a trial for a customer. My 2" lens didn't seem to like it. The ZnSe film was "wrinkled" after my tests. I realize this is not conclusive but I won't try Kydex again. I would highly recommend you be very careful.

Belinda Barfield
06-14-2007, 4:33 PM
Thanks Richard. Received your PM and replied.

Larry Bratton
06-15-2007, 6:59 PM
Belinda:
Main thing you want to do is engrave it..right? I have an idea and I want to test before I say what I have in mind. Is there a lot of pieces that would need to be cut or just a small quantity?

Larry Bratton
06-16-2007, 4:11 PM
Belinda:
See my post here for the "Apolic composite aluminum test". I know this isn't plastic, but it engraves nicely, they have a fire RATED panel in addition to the regular panels also. Take a look.

Belinda Barfield
06-18-2007, 7:49 AM
Replied to your other post. Thanks again for all the help Larry!