PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a bowl from aboard? PICS

Charles Hannemann
06-13-2007, 1:26 PM
I saw this video on the www.woodworkingchannel.com (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com) it showed a guy making a bowl from aboard. :confused: He used a bandsaw to cut out a spiral. He glued up the spiral, hanging down from the center point. He then cut it down on a lathe. I must've forgot something very important! I tried this, and what came out I would not try to turn! Any ideas.:confused:

The board of Birdseye maple that I found in the trash along with a lot of other pieces of wood blocks that had to come from a woodturner (see pictures) of what I found and pieces I have turned from it. It was the mother lode (one man's trash is another man's gold):D:D:D for a poor veteran living on social security disability I could not believe my eyes!!!! I have a Delta mini lathe; most of the time I get pieces of wood from scrap that is destined for firewood. So to come across these gorgeous pieces of wood for me was an act of God and divine intervention.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another thing I came across, a friend took me to an estate state sale last Friday he founded it on Craig's list. They had a 1939-1940 Sears and Roebuck/Dunlap lathe. It also had 4 Sorby tools and some Sears tools. He got it for me. I brought it home. I tore it down. I'm going to repaint it. It was working, and I found pictures of it on the Internet. I also found the old Sears and Roebuck catalog from 1939-1940. Mine is Model #101.6242 check it out; I believe his is a Model # 101.6260 www.yankeetoys.org/lee/lathe-5.htm (http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/lathe-5.htm) I will post pictures later. Any idea what it may be worth:confused: It was a package deal, I wanted the Sorby tools. also can you tell me the type of wood from the pictures.

Charles Hannemann
06-13-2007, 1:28 PM
just more pics:D:D:D

Charles Hannemann
06-13-2007, 1:30 PM
just more pics

Charles Hannemann
06-13-2007, 1:31 PM
just more pics

Charles Hannemann
06-13-2007, 1:33 PM
just more pics

Barry Elder
06-13-2007, 7:23 PM
Hi Charles,

You need to watch the program again and at the very beginning he mentions that his bandsaw table is tilted 3 or 4 degrees. I don't remember exactly. But that provides the bias that keeps the spiral from just dropping down and then you can apply glue so that it keeps its' shape so you can turn it. Good Luck!

Larry Crim
06-13-2007, 9:37 PM
charles I saw the same show and I gave it a try just to see if it was as easy as it apeared to be on the show, I did get the 4 deg cut and what I came up with I did try to turn but after a while I got to the point that this just was not going to come out to be anything fruitfull. I think you would have to be very accurate with the cut, I could never get the glue up as tight as he did in the video no matter how much I turnde I still had voids in the glur joints that made it useless. I think if the cut was smoother and more accurat it would have come out ok but I think I will stick to doing a segmented to build up a bowl rather than try this again.
Larry

joe greiner
06-14-2007, 7:39 AM
Nothing magic about 4 degrees. The optimum angle of cut depends on YOUR wood thickness and YOUR blade thickness (including total set). A couple popular forms of the scroll saw gang are relief sculptures and telescoping baskets, which are similar to the spiral bowl except they're not glued. Make some test cuts at various angles: circles intersecting the edge of the wood so the blade can escape; steeper angles will have [more] overlap, and one of them will likely provide both enough overlap and enough depth of the entire piece.

Joe