PDA

View Full Version : You all might like this pocket tool rack

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Last night I needed a woodwork fix. I've been trying to figure out what to build to accommodate around 20 turning tools w/o sucking up all the wall space. What I did was build a magnetic tool cabinet. The pocket holds 10 and the outer holds 10. I ran out of magnets for the front one though. I'll pick up more tonight. I thought this might be helpful to everyone. There's also a pic of my new Pro PM Crown Tools. (Robert, I told you I'd have pics today:D )

Patrick Taylor
06-13-2007, 1:09 PM
Nice! The pocket is slick.

Gordon Seto
06-13-2007, 2:00 PM
I would reconsider the idea of using magnets. It causes your tools to become magnetized. They would pick up the metal dust around the grinder. They also make the smaller tools anchor to the tool rest; they don't glide as smooth on detail cuts.

May be the magnetic tool bars that I got from Costco were too strong. Eventually I have to get a de-magnetizing device from ENCO to de-magnetize the turning tools. Now I only use the magnetic tool bars for chuck keys, Allen wrenches, calipers etc.

Gordon

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 2:22 PM
I'll see how it does. These magnets aren't very strong and I do already have a demagnetizer too for screw drivers and other tools. I don't like those metal clips because they always get loose or just don't hold after time. If anyone has an idea other than magnets that will still give me the same accessibility please post. Thanks.:)

Gordon Seto
06-13-2007, 3:02 PM
The magnetism was so strong that the HF demagnetizer for screw driver didn't work.

Gordon

Mark Cothren
06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Good stuff, Bill!

Jude Kingery
06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey Bill, That's nice! You'd mentioned any different ideas, I use fishing rod holders mounted in a similar fashion you show, although ours are simply mounted to the wall. Your sliding cabinet/rack set up is terrific. The foam in the fishing rod holders does wear out eventually, but very easy and inexpensive to replace, works well. Jude

Christopher K. Hartley
06-15-2007, 7:09 AM
Great Idea Bill, I really like the sliding concept.:)

Chris Barton
06-15-2007, 7:28 AM
Great idea Bill but, while I was looking at the pictures I was constantly distracted by the hideous multi-segmented object in the lower left corner. It had a very strange affect me and I just couldn't look away...;)

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Chris I was going to ask Bill the same thing. I have never seen such wood. Kinda strange looking to say the least.:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Dick Strauss
06-15-2007, 1:02 PM
Bernie,
It's that strange dry air that causes multiple woods to grow together in fantastic patterns. I hear they grow into each other seeking moisture.

FYI-you can also demagnetize tools by passing them into the loop on a soldering gun (if the tool fits).

Bill Wyko
06-15-2007, 1:20 PM
That pic is only 472 pieces of it. I'm only gettin started.:eek: I still have over 1500 to go.:confused: I'm going to start cutting segments again tonight. When I'm done it should be about 2 feet tall. So far I'm at 10 inches. This should put my new Clark Hollowing system and steady rest to the test.:D

Doug M Jones
06-16-2007, 8:33 AM
New shop, New Lathe, 2000 piece segmented bowl. Somebody needs a 12 step program. Come on, the first step is acknowledging the problem.

Just say, "My name is Bill and I'm a turnaholic":p

Can't wait to see the big bowl finished, nice job on the tool rack.

Bill Wyko
06-16-2007, 1:09 PM
:D My name is Bill and I'm a Turnaholic and a toolaholic.:D Ok, whats the next step.:rolleyes:

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
06-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Bill,
you are making a great
segmented project.
I want to see it finished.
Congratulations.
Alfredo

Brett Baldwin
06-18-2007, 3:06 PM
Bill, all you have to do is sell one piece and then you are no longer a turn/toolaholic. It is all just part and parcel of your trade.

Clever tool rack there.

Harvey Schneider
06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I am using button rare earth magnets to hold my tools on the apron of my Jet lathe. After three weeks, the tools have a very faint magnetism that you can feel when you remove them from the tool rest. The residual magnetism seems to fade quickly, but if you want a cheap demagnetizer, remove the rotor from a shaded pole motor. These are the cheap motors used in small appliances like table fans. The field coil will run hot if you leave it plugged in for a long time so I only plug it in when I am actively using it. Don't unplug it when it is near a tool or it can act as a magnetizer instead of a demagnitizer. Personally the residual magnetism doesn't bother me when I am working.