PDA

View Full Version : PW interesting read

Nancy Laird
06-13-2007, 11:29 AM
There's an article that just popped up on the Popular Woodworking site about finishing...or not finishing...the inside of drawers. Makes for some interesting reading and thought.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/To+Finish+Or+Not+To+Finish.aspx

Just to get the ball rolling, we always finish off our drawer boxes with just plain old wax.

Nancy

Larry Fox
06-13-2007, 4:40 PM
Humm, interesting. To be honest it never dawned on me not to finish them but upon reading the article and thinking about it for a minute I don't see a downside to not. I guess I have always used the "it is wood and therefore shall be finished" thought pattern. It will be interesting to see how others respond to this thread.

Nancy, any special type of wax or just plain Renaissance Wax or Beeswax?

I have a project I am working on right now with 14 decent-sized drawers and I just might give this a whirl.

Nancy Laird
06-13-2007, 4:50 PM
Minwax Finishing Wax - available at the BORG. Just rub it on with a soft cloth, let it sit for a while (maybe 30 minutes), and rub off. I have drawers in my bedroom that were done this way and they are still wonderful after 10-plus years. Takes a little elbow grease and time, but the results are sooooo much better than any other finish.

Nancy

Bruce Page
06-13-2007, 5:34 PM
I finished the drawers on my workbench with Danish oil – BIG mistake, it took months for the smell to go away.

glenn bradley
06-13-2007, 6:21 PM
I finish (clear) kitchen and workshop drawers. I do not finish dressers and end tables and such.

Steve Schoene
06-13-2007, 8:59 PM
If you must finish drawer interiors shellac is another alternative. No odor, quick drying, easy to apply.

Neil Lamens
06-14-2007, 6:55 PM
Howdy:

I believe people expect a finished drawer box whatever the final finish is to make it smooth and keep the lingerie from "catching", so shellac gets it done here!!!

Neil