PDA

View Full Version : Engravinh Pics on Suede

Pretesh Patel
06-12-2007, 6:58 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone did any lazering of pics on a cream coloured suede material and what setting to engrave and cut settings should I use if it is possible.

If it is possible, do I need to play around with the brightness etc.. of the pic or do I just do it like this. I also have another pic of a brown mountain that is snow capped...
I could'nt manage to upload the file if you would like me to email you the file please give me your email address

Thanks

Pretesh

Gary Hair
06-12-2007, 8:12 PM
Pretesh,
I have engraved pictures on smooth leather but never suede. I used PhotoGrav to prepare the picture although some people have had success doing conversion themselves - you can search for the process to do it yourself.
As for settings, I used 80ips, 15 watts, 300 DPI and 400PPI for rastering and it turned out pretty well. Get some scraps to work with and see what works for you.

Gary

Larry Bratton
06-12-2007, 8:18 PM
Pretesh:
I have been engraving on some tan 4-5 oz leather. I have not engraved on suede but I have an idea that it would be about the same. I doubt I would do anything as far as the graphic goes except maybe give it good contrast and make it greyscale. I would probably use Photograv to process it. Another big thing is to get it flat. I take the leather and use 3m Spray Mount adhesive to temporarily hold it flat on a piece of mdf etc. Then laser at your recommended power and speed settings for the Trotec. Good luck. Post your results so we can see your good work.

Bill Cunningham
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
If you flip a piece of ordinary leather over, and etch the fuzzy side, and it looks good, it's only going to look better on real suede. I would imagine you would get a good contrast on the cream coloured surface, unless the original base before colouring was really weird.. I did a bunch of Expensive black leather wallets once, all turned a nice shade of gray, except one which turned pure white.. Cow must have been 'really' scared before the hammer came down..:eek: