PDA

View Full Version : Here are a few Incra projects I've done

Bill Wyko
06-12-2007, 4:50 PM
I'm always so busy on the turners forum that I never think to post here. Here's a few projects I've done in the incra. The purple heart one is before final sanding and finish. Please enjoy.:) Opinions are welcome.

Greg Cole
06-12-2007, 5:02 PM
Hi Bill,
Those look great! And ya beat the pic police to the punch this time...LOL
I like how you extended the inlay in the purple heart one to be the handle...and I am a sucker for about anything in curly maple that's not tinted, dyed or darkly colored.
Looking at boxes like these, I am not so sure I am inspired or deflated. :rolleyes:
For me bigger stuff (ent. centers, cabinets, coffee/side tables etc) has been my thing and it's harder going smaller. I have one box started (umm...err... started it in March), but I haven't touched it in well.. too long.

Cheers,
Greg

Dave Sinkus
06-12-2007, 5:07 PM
I too like the inlay extended to the handle. That is the most unique design/form I have seen.

Is that all wooden hinges with the box with the paper in it? Another great piece of work.

Bill Wyko
06-12-2007, 5:14 PM
Yes it is. It's a business card holder. It's actually about 4 inches tall, just under 3 inches wide and 3/8ths thick. I made this about 2 years ago and I still haven't broken it yet.:)

Alan Tolchinsky
06-12-2007, 9:31 PM
Bill, Those are terriffic and you are the Incra Man.

Don Bullock
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Bill, you're an inspiration.

I have the Incra fence. Now I need to save up the cash so that I can put a router table next to my table saw. I can't wait to get started trying to make joints like that. Thanks for sharing your work.

Dave Sinkus
06-12-2007, 10:55 PM
The business card holder at that size. Awesome work.

Brent Dowell
06-12-2007, 11:35 PM
The business card holders are really, really fun to make. I've made a few and they never fail to impress the recipient.

You've done a fantastic selection on the wood used. Kudos!

Adam Burgess
06-13-2007, 12:40 AM
very cool. i'm inspired ( to steal your great ideas.)

i've been thinking about doing wooden hinges for a while but was concered about their durability. so if that card holder lasted 2 years without breaking, i'm no longer worried about their strength.

Ken Massingale
06-13-2007, 7:26 AM
Beautiful design and craftsmanship, Bill
Ken

Jim Grill
06-13-2007, 7:50 AM
Bill, I think Incra sales just went up 150%.

Your work is truly awesome.

Alex Berkovsky
06-13-2007, 8:35 AM
Opinions are welcome.Here's my opinion... I didn't think such beautiful items could be made from wood. I can't stop staring.

Zahid Naqvi
06-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Bill, I like what you did with the hinge on the purple heart box. Really nice work.

Mark Valsi
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
i am VERY IMPRESSED !!!

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 1:41 PM
I'll give you all a little tip. The most important thing when doing boxes on the Incra is to always keep the same side to the fence. If you don't, it will miss align your pieces and your double joints will have thin and thick spots. Thanks for all the compliments everyone. You all make it worth it. Too many people look and say hmm thats nice but they don't know what there looking at. With everyone here, you all know and understand whats involved in creating pieces like these so your opinions really do count. Once again thank you very much.:)

Aaron Beaver
06-13-2007, 2:57 PM
Very nice job. Do you have to have a large router table top to use the Incra system, or does a regular size one work? I was thinking the top had to be deeper (when standing in front) for the Incra system. Thanks

Bill Wyko
06-13-2007, 4:26 PM
My table is just the cheap one that woodworkers source had on sale a while back. The only reason you would need a bigger one would be if you were building a deep box. The fence did need an extension built to hang off the back come to think of it to get full extension of the fence. It's a simple piece to build though. I'll be happy to help you if you need it.

Steven Bolton
06-30-2007, 1:16 PM
Rob Cosman makes some beautiful boxes with finger joints. The pins and the tails are of different sizes. I wonder how hard this is to do with the Incra jig on a router table. I don't have one, but would like to get one. I have attached a photo of the box I am referring to.

Well, I can't insert a photo of the box I am referring to so the website is
http://www.robcosman.com/dvd.php

Thanks for any answers. The essense of my question is whether you can make a box like the "Wood Hinge" box on Cosman's website.

Thanks

Steven Bolton
06-30-2007, 1:20 PM
Rob Cosman makes some beautiful boxes with finger joints. The pins and the tails are of different sizes. I wonder how hard this is to do with the Incra jig on a router table. I don't have one, but would like to get one. I have attached a photo of the box I am referring to.

Well, I can't insert a photo of the box I am referring to so the website is
http://www.robcosman.com/dvd.php

Thanks for any answers. The essense of my question is whether you can make a box like the "Wood Hinge" box on Cosman's website.

Thanks

Bill Wyko
06-30-2007, 1:29 PM
To do large tails like the ones on his desk wouldn't go too well, but all the drawers could be double doves with no problem and accurate to 2 one thousandths of an inch. Incra makes some amazingly accurate tools. If you are going to do exotic joints like the ones Incra shows you, their tools are the only way to go.IMHO:)