PDA

View Full Version : pattern for a handle on a wooden jointer plane.

Zahid Naqvi
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Anyone got a pattern for the handle on a wooden jointer plane. I am in the process of making one and want to put a closed grip handle on it.

Mike Henderson
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
When I needed a handle, I used a saw handle as a guide. I picked a saw that really felt good to me. The angle of the mounting takes a bit of trial but you can find where it feels best to you. But it may take a couple of tries so do the first one in plywood or other scrap.

Worked for me.

Mike

Robert Rozaieski
06-12-2007, 2:06 PM
There used to be one here www.geocities.com/plybench/ (http://www.geocities.com/plybench/). I can't access any Geocities address anymore though (probably a firewall thing) so I can't verify.

Zahid Naqvi
06-12-2007, 2:18 PM
yup, I posted the question at woodnet as well and someone pointed me towards bugbear's site. Here is the scale drawing (http://www.geocities.com/plybench/handle.pdf) of the D-handle/tote.

Wiley Horne
06-12-2007, 5:27 PM
Zahid,

I have a Clark & Williams jointer with a particularly comfortable tote. It's based on an olde English example from about 1750. Hope the photo attachment thingie works. I have a tracing of this tote, if you're interested in seeing it.

Wiley

Wiley Horne
06-12-2007, 5:40 PM
Here's a rough tracing of that tote. I really like this plane. And the way it fits the hand.

Wiley

Andrew Homan
06-12-2007, 6:30 PM
I have a Clark & Williams jointer with a particularly comfortable tote. It's based on an olde English example from about 1750. Hope the photo attachment thingie works. I have a tracing of this tote, if you're interested in seeing it.

Wiley,
Thank you for posting that picture. I always love seeing pictures of your workshop because it has a "feeling" that I aspire to.
My question for you: what is the size (length of the plane, and width of the blade) of that C&W jointer?
Thanks,
Andy

Wiley Horne
06-12-2007, 7:01 PM
Andy,

Thank you! It may be Imai-san's chisels that you like. That is a 30" jointer, 2-1/2" width blade, and a 7-thou mouth.

I might add that, some time later, I was talking to Bill and Larry and they had just seen a narrow jointer at a show that had a 2" wide blade, and was 26" long. They were thinking about making that plane, so I jumped for it. That narrower plane has a really great feel for edge-jointing, if you like to joint single boards (rather than match planing).

In beech jointers, 30" doesn't seem particularly unwieldy.

Wiley......wondering why the tracing came out so enormo

Andrew Homan
06-13-2007, 6:13 PM
Thank you! It may be Imai-san's chisels that you like.

Yes, those lovely chisels are certainly part of it! Every (rare) picture of your shop always reveals a certain economy of organization -- which must be effective, because the (equally rare) pics of finished pieces of furniture from your shop are enviable! I guess I'd like a shop tour!

Both of the C&W jointers you have sound very useful to me. I do like to "match joint" so I would probably tend toward the wider plane, except for matching thinner boards.
-Andy

Zahid Naqvi
06-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Wiley thanks for the tracing, it certainly looks different from the others. As luck would have it I made one tonight but messed up the cut/kerf to hold the saw blade. So we are back to square one.