PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone care about customer service these days?

Scott Shepherd
06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Sorry, a bit of a rant. I went to a trade show last week and picked up a couple truck loads of catalogs and brochures. I know it's probably not typical, but I'm frustrated by a couple of customer service experiences. I won't name names, but I have a couple of examples to rant about.

I was enquiring about a piece of equipment and the guy asks if he can swipe my card. Takes my card, goes and talks to another customer. meanwhile, another rep comes over, starts talking to us, and we tell him what we do and plan to do, and he recommends a model. After being gone for about 15 minutes with my card, the guy comes back, hands me the card, and the other guy says "I recommended model XYZ" and the guy says "Yeah, that would be perfect".

What? Perfect for who? For what application? He hadn't heard a single sentence about what we would use it for or how much we'd use it.

Made me a little mad, and I decided I wouldn't buy a machine from that guy if he were giving them away.

So I get back, I'm looking at a couple of catalogs and materials and I find a place that seems to have good pricing and carry most of what I was interested in trying out. So I decided to place about a $200 order with them (not a big order, but $200 is $200). I go to their website- no online catalog. Okay, fair enough but how about entering 2002, like the rest of the world?

I call the number and the lady tells me that I have to fill out a form first, and she'll fax it to me. She tells me that they can't process it that day, as the girl who sets up new accounts isn't there today. So, she faxes it, I get it, start filling it out, and they are asking questions on the form that I don't think they need to know. Information like a detailed map to our location. For what? How many employees, how long we've been in business, what are our hours, approximate building size,etc.

How's that got anything to do with me placing an order and paying by credit card? I'm not trying to set up a credit line with them, I'm trying to order something and pay for it at the time of sale. How do you figure you need a detailed map to my office in order to sell me a piece of material? How's the square footage of my office have anything to do with me placing an order? I don't get it, and they lost my business for two reasons- one they couldn't take my order that day, and two because they were asking for information they didn't need to complete my order.

So, I head on to my next venture. I saw a piece of material I was interested in (which I planned to buy from the above source), the guy showed examples of it being lasered, but never vector cut. It looked like something we would use, but I didn't want to order a ton of it prior to knowing whether or not it would vector cut.

I search the internet, find another place that stock it and it gives a price for 1-9, I order 6 sheets of it and think we're all fine.

Come in today, find an email from them telling me they only ship that material in 10 or more. What? Then why do you have the price for 1-9 units on your website? Why was I allowed to even order them? (I did up the order to 10 in order to get them).

Have I lost my mind or have people stop caring about customer service these days? I know there there are people out there who bend over backwards to make their customers experiences good ones (myself included). I'll go out of my way to make my customers happy. Sadly, it seems people out there, and they are reasonable size companies, don't have any intention of giving good customer service.

Sorry for the rant, but some people need to wake up and be exposed to some customer service training.

::::climbing down off my soap box now::::::

Mark Koenig
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I know the feeling...:mad:

Went to a show and fell in love with the concept of laser engraving... Called later that day and asked for a written quote and a call back for technical questions... Needless to say, I got NOTHING so I took my dollars to Epilog... Customer support is top on my list for me and my customers... Your reputation is everything in any business...

Mitchell Andrus
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Home Depot sells medicine cabinets for $125.00 to $175.00. Mine cost $475.00 to $700.00. WHY???? Because I deliver that much extra value to those willing to find it and then pay for it.

I feel your pain. Sometimes I'm shocked when I feel good about spending money somewhere. Shouldn't be that way.

Jeanette Brewer
06-12-2007, 1:36 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Customer Service is everyone's job and is top priority here at our company; the flip side of that, though, is that I expect the same from my vendors/suppliers. I have little patience for folks who don't take care of me!

Save enough room for me on that soapbox!

Dean Carpenter
06-12-2007, 3:59 PM
Bad service.......not happy........erm.........dare i say it............then come to the UK to buy your next machine!

But seriously, I think you just were unlucky to find the wrong employee. the fact you suffered bad service is probably not typical of the Company policy.

If you really have a problem with sales service/attitude make the management aware. I know, I have suffered this in the past where an inadequate employee has damaged the rep of the company.

The management won't know until you (the customer) tells them and they'll thank you for it, I am sure.

Dean

Mike Null
06-12-2007, 4:06 PM
Your frustration is shared by all but why protect the villains. Spare us all some pain and identify them.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2007, 4:31 PM
Scott..........I'll disagree with you if you don't mind. What you experienced was a bad sales experience and not bad customer service. I've been in customer service for over 30 years. Often, a salesperson will create a bad situation and then customer service people have to deal with the result. I know....I deal with it too often.

I do, however, agree the salesperson handled you very poorly and when I'm treated like you were, I spend my money somewhere else every time.

Scott Shepherd
06-12-2007, 5:50 PM
Does anyone think that you should have to give the square footage of your office in order to buy a piece of material?

I found a lot of people ignoring us at the trade shows. One well known popular place that had a huge setup was horrible about it. It had two guys sitting at a computer (plus many others milling around) that the lasers were hooked to, and neither of them would lift their heads to make eye contact with you. I spent 15 minutes at their booth when I first arrived, as I wanted to speak to someone about their products. Couldn't get anyone to help me. Came back two more times, finally had to be somewhat rude and tell someone that I needed some help in a less than friendly way.

Didn't get much help, other than handed a CD or DVD demo of the product line and told that the info was on there.

On the other hand, several booths were more than willing to discuss anything or explain things. I picked up some great leads on different types of materials.

I guess what I call poor customer service seems to be the norm. I had a customer call and wanted a couple of the corragated (sp?) plastic yard type signs (which I have never done). I knew I could put laserlights material on it, so I took the job and figured I would pop over to a sign store and get the materials. I went into the chain store for signs and told them I wanted to buy a couple of the blanks. They said "We can have them for you tomorrow after 4pm". I told them they must have misunderstood me, as I just wanted the blank material.

Nope. They don't stock any material, nor do that make any signs at that place. A place that used to be known for 1 hour signs now can't even get me a blank for 1 1/2 days? Good for me, as I took the work from them.

On the other hand, I emailed IPI Plastics yesterday afternoon, telling them about problems I'm having with their materials not being flat enough to use on a laser. Didn't think much of it, as the email was to the President of the company (his e-mail was on the contact page :) ). Phone rang this morning, it was IPI calling, trying to resolve any issues we were having. Had a very good chat with him, informed me of what he planned to do, etc.

That's customer service, to me. It's not about being perfect or not making mistakes, it's about how you deal with issues when there is a problem, or not creating red tape that hinders my buying experience.

I'm trying to give people my money, and they seem to not want it. Obviously they weren't run by women :) If they were, they'd streamline the money taking process :) (only kidding ladies!)

Jeanette Brewer
06-12-2007, 6:10 PM
Does anyone think that you should have to give the square footage of your office in order to buy a piece of material?

I can't imagine why that would matter. Out of curiosity, did you ask them why they needed that info?

Craig Hogarth
06-12-2007, 7:28 PM
I can't imagine why that would matter. Out of curiosity, did you ask them why they needed that info?

Actually, I wish more suppliers would take this attitude. Most of the ones I've dealt with are a little too open with their info. In the retail sector, these questions are common and reseller approval is a fairly detailed process.

Imagine if we were all able to call nike direct and get wholesale pricing just for asking.

Gary Hair
06-12-2007, 7:49 PM
How about this...

I called a vendor today to place an order, my regular rep wasn't in so I left a message for my rep but placed the order with the first available person. I need the order in my shop on Friday so I can deliver the product to the customer on Monday. The person I talked to ensured me that it would ship tomorrow and that it "should" arrive Friday - normally it would have shipped today but that warehouse was doing inventory today and they couldn't ship it today. I am a 2 day ship away from them so it shouldn't be a big deal... I hope

About 10 minutes after I was done placing the order my rep called, he wanted to make sure everything went OK with my order. I explained that I needed the parts on Friday and as long as that would work then I was just fine. He told me he would call the warehouse tomorrow and have them verify that it will ship and arrive to me on Friday. If not, he would upgrade the shipping, at their cost, to ensure delivery.

Is this great customer service? You bet it is. It's not the first time I have had this level of service from this rep, it is his "standard" way of doing business. I can't imagine what he would consider "going above and beyond" if this is what is typical for him.

Who is this you ask? Kevin Lumberg at Johnson Plastics.

I first talked to Kevin in December when I was researching dye sublimation equipment. Kevin was so helpful and knowledgable that I placed an order of about $5,000 with him after about 45 minutes of him answering my questions. You might think he spent that kind of time with me because I was going to place a large order but I never got the feeling he expected me to order anything, he was genuinely willing to help me learn. The main reason I believe that is because that level of service continues with every contact - asking questions or purchasing products, I get the same great service.

If you have any questions about great customer service, and want a great example of how it should be done, call Kevin.

Gary

Frank Corker
06-12-2007, 8:09 PM
I agree with just about everything said. I went to the largest trade fair run in the UK. As it was my first, I had a shed load of money with me, wanting to purchase items to engrave. I was there THE WHOLE DAY and managed to spend in total about £50 in teas and sandwiches. Could I hell get a salesman to get off his arse and serve me. The closest was a very well known company, staff were outrageously rude and I ended up dressing him down on his own platform (very satisfying actually) only to be told that they were only interested in sales over £10,000. Hello????

Strangely enough the nicest guy I met was a Jewish tailor, who went out of his way to get me interested in their products. Even when it did eventually dawn on him that I was an engraver and not after anything other than engraveable merchandise, he offered me a nice cup of tea! I know one thing, when I need a suit, I'll be more than happy to make the 250 miles journey to his place.

Gary Hair
06-12-2007, 8:16 PM
I know one thing, when I need a suit, I'll be more than happy to make the 250 miles journey to his place.

That is what it is all about Frank and this person knows it. Even after he knew you weren't an immediate customer he still had the decency to treat you right, not just another sale. When I find people like him I do what I can to ensure they know that they are appreciated.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
06-12-2007, 8:27 PM
Craig, I see where you're coming from, we don't want our customers able to get the pricing info on materials, but for Pete's sake, the name of my company has "Signs" in it, I have their catalog which has all the pricing in it, and I'm calling to place and order. I don't mind answering a few questions. I'm sure they use it for market research, etc. Good for them. But when you get to that level of information to setup an account to buy from you, when there are dozens and dozens of people selling the same product without that interogation, what's my need to tell you all that? Why do you need a map to where I am located? I live 3 states away from the place. If the plan is to have some rep "drop by" next time he's in the area, unannounced, then he'll be sorry he took the time to come by.

I understand the "how many employees, how long in business, etc", but the detailed map and the square footage just seem over the top for me.

Had they had a clue about how to serve the customer, they'd have more than one person who can key in new customers, and they would have bent over backwards to make this potential new customers first buying experience a pleasant one. A lot of places have special rules in place for treating first time customers extra special.

Instead, I basically got "call back tomorrow and have your paperwork ready then". Well, what if I needed the material tomorrow? Then you wouldn't have been able to serve me?

There are some top notch people out there, as mentioned a few threads up. I've just run into a line of people in the last week, most of them didn't serve me the way I serve others. However, a few did, and I have their business cards on my desk and they will be getting my business.

Maybe I just had a run of bad luck this last week. Maybe tomorrow everything will be good! I hope so. I'm a patient person, and my patience is about wore out right now :)

Bill Cunningham
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I usually 'provide' a detailed map to my location. I can't count the number of times that delivery people have got lost trying to find me.. I'm really not 'that' hard to find.. Square footage? They are in all probability 'profiling you'.. If you have a couple of hundred sq foot shop, they may consider you not worth the effort even if you are paying by credit card (which also costs them money).. When I started my business, and inquiring about trophy parts and supplies I was told rather bluntly by a large trophy Manuf. in Mississauga Ontario , that unless I had a "storefront" they simply would not sell to me.. about a year ago, this same company sent me their rather extensive binder catalog and a whole bunch of sample stuff, followed up by a cold call from someone in their sales staff. I reminded them that although my total sales are quite a bit larger than they were the first time I called them, I 'still' don't have a "storefront" and currently have all the basic suppliers I need. Also, because I had no use for it, I had deposited the catalog into the recycle bin. My thinking? If they didn't want my money 20 years ago, why the hell do they want it now.. I buy from the companies that supplied, and helped me when I started, back when times weren't so good. You don't get to change your mind, jump in, and push anyone else out that actually earned the sale.. And YES it was very satisfying to "disqualify" one of the 'big' guys in the trophy business..

Nancy Laird
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Here's another one who knows the meaning of customer service: Russ Miller, Manager of the Tap Plastics retail store in San Leandro, CA. A week or so ago I put a post here about the lack of response I had from a website inquiry for a quote. Russ saw my post, sent me a direct e-mail, quoted me for the material I wanted (which was actually less than the prices showing on the website), and I ordered the material directly from him today. I got an e-mail back from him late this afternoon, stating that my package has been deposited with UPS, giving me the tracking number, and also telling me that he had tucked some "extra goodies" into the package. I am VERY pleased with TAP Plastics now, at least with Russ, and when I need more materials that TAP carries, Russ will get my call rather than going anywhere else.

Thanks, Russ, for your help, for your service, and for redeeming your company in my eyes.

Nancy

Mark Koenig
06-13-2007, 7:18 AM
Home Depot sells medicine cabinets for $125.00 to $175.00. Mine cost $475.00 to $700.00. WHY???? Because I deliver that much extra value to those willing to find it and then pay for it.

I feel your pain. Sometimes I'm shocked when I feel good about spending money somewhere. Shouldn't be that way.

Could you share a pic of one of your medicine cabinets???

Mitchell Andrus
06-13-2007, 8:54 AM
Mark, a few cabs.

Jerry O'Brien
06-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I may have anohter view of this subject. I think we get what we expect. When we go to these shows do we ask questions. Do we tell the merchants that we have interest in their products. So many people just walk up and don't ask anything. If a vendor offers to help or asks if we need help, we say: " OH no, I am just looking." Come onnnnnnnn! Why are you there. I know there are bozo's out there but not all of them are a mess. Most will help if you press them a little. If they will not help then ask for the name of the owner or the manager. I can assure you the manager or especially the owner of the business has spent an awful lot of money going to that show. The price of the show its self, the lodging, the transportation and the wages can be staggering. If someone does not treat us well we should tell them about our bad experience. If you sent your child or grand child to the day care would you want to know about poor service.

I am retired from a rather large company. We did not deal with the general public. We were in the specialty electrical , high voltage business. Most of our customers generally knew what they wanted and could generally speak the language. Our job was to solve problems and show new products and new ideas.

I now have my own small business now. I sell specialty electrical items also. Most of my customers may or may not know what they want. I know the language very well and I know how to explain my products to them.

I have found that today most of the general public is not too sure what they want but they want it right now. That does not excuse poor service or poor manners. I think that the companies that have reps at these trade shows should hear of specific instances of poor service, poor attitudes and bad manners. You will get attention if you speak up a little. Nancy had a great example of the fellow doing his best to make the best of a bad situation.
Some companies have a never ending problem of not enough good people. That seems to be nation wide. My brother owns a plumbing company. He pays his people very very well and he cannot find enough people that want to work. It is hard work and they may have to work some long hours.They generally do not make it to happy hour but they make plenty to feed their families. Have you tried to find a good plumber, carpenter, air conditionion person lately. They are hard to find.

I was asked the other day how I can possibly compete with the much larger, more powerful companies that I compete with. It is simple . I solve problems. I save them time and they are generaly willing to pay me for that service. I have been burned a few times. I have done the work, solved the problem and some people have taken my information and gone somewhere else. Such is life. They will not get that chance a second time.

I think we have brought some of that on ourselves. Everyone crys loudly when an unnamed very large retailer moves into their community. They displace lots of people and cause a lot of very good small businesses to close down. But we flock there like bandits to save $2.00 on a toaster. We as a country need to consider what is important about our dealings with others.

I guess what is a snowstorm for some folks is a ski trip for me. I am able to give very good service and make a living while doing it. People will generally pay for a good service if they can identify it. We as merchants should always, "promise a little and deliver a lot more."

The merchants should also consider what is a fair markup. I just came back from China in December. I was there to inspect the quality of some of the electircal item we sell. I went there as a consultant for a rather large organization. And yes, we do buy a lot of stuff from China. Almost all of the flourescent ballasts sold in America are now made in China or Malaysa or Mexico.

What will the Chinese merchants do to the American laser market. If you set back and think they will not have an effect, you are at best naive. They will make inroads and they will do it in short order. Can any of you remember when the "Made in Japan" sticker was laughed at in the 1960's. Now the Japanese own the automobile market. There are some that would say, including me, that they are not that much better than we are, but perception is generally reality for most people. The Japanese are currently perceived at the best at whatever they do. Remember though, they do not do it for bargain prices anymore. Go out and price an upscale Japanese auto. They are not cheap by any standard. You get what you pay for, even if it is perceived.

The Chinese are coming and we as a community had better vastly improve our product, our service and our attitude. We shoul not be secretive about our product or our ability to solve problems. What will or won't differentiate us from the offshore products is our ability to show our customers we care and that if we messed it up we will fix it. We generally have much better software than the offshore folks, but most laser vendors from what I have seen only talk about their ball bearings or their ability to slice and dice and catch fish. Too many merchants only want to place blame. If you want to read something special, please look for information about what it costs to get a new customer versus what it costs to service an existing customer.

Service will overcome almost everything, because what people are short of is not money or knowledge. It is time and most are willing to pay to save time. Service is about saving time and not just money.

Jerry O'Brien