PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Live Center...

Phillip H Smith
06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
G'day All....

When will I EVER learn to walk away from what appears to be a bargain...read CHEAP tool!

I purchased a 60 degree point Live Center through Ebay. And when I used it for the first time to support my pen mandrel, it started to spew grease after about 5 minutes of use. Apparently, the bearing seal failed. So, I sent it back for a refund or replacement; but have yet to hear back from the supplier.

My question is this: I've found various Live Centers for around $30-40, which have a single point. For around $60, one can get a Live Center with multi-points and cups. Is this worth the extra $$s....would the extra points and cups come in handy for various projects?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
In answer to your question, in MHO, yes the kit is worth it. The cone suppled IS 60 degree and heavy duty enough to not wear down. I have had instances where the other accessories have helped.

Bruce

Patrick Taylor
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I have this one from woodcraft (for my Jet mini) and I do find the interchangeable pieces really helpful. I use 2 or 3 regularly and the rest occasionally. I never use the original center anymore, because I just don't need it.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3727

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Phillip,

Look at it this way. Buying quality up front? You will only cry once. ;)

Patrick Taylor
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Phillip,

Look at it this way. Buying quality up front? You will only cry once. ;)

Amen. I have vowed never to buy crappy tools again. I've learned that lesson enough. I'd rather be innovative and make do without a tool than deal with the heartbreak and frustration of crappy tools. Not to mention the time invested in repair, either by me or taking it to a shop.

Steven Wilson
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM
If you turn on mandrels a lot (pens, shaping cork fishing rod handles, etc) then having a hardened 60D point live center is very worthwhile. If you mainly turn wood between centers then the multitip live centers are great. I use the Oneway live center and it's fantastic, except for the wear the point receives when I use mandrels. For my mandrel turnings (cork handles mainly) I use a medium duty metal working live center.

Jim Becker
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
"The most expensive tools are the ones you have to replace early and often...."

Yes, on the multi-tip live center kit or something like the OneWay with thread-on accessories.