PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Tint to the Finish

Paul Zonneveld
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
I was wondering what the pros and cons are when adding a tint to a finish. I have solved by gel stain problem, but the dye stain I am using now is just a hair to brown. I was wondering if I could add a little black tint to the laquer when I go to put the first coat on? I just need a hair of black color. I have seen transtint before so I would probably use this product unless someone has a better suggestion. Does water base or standard laquer make a difference with the tint?

Larry Fox
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
You should have no problem with adding TransTint to the laquer but you might be able to achieve the desired color by applying another application of the stain with more of the black in it. Only danger would be getting it too dark. I have added TransTint to Target USL as a toner with very good result. Be sure to practice on some scrap as it is really easy to "take it too far".

Steve Schoene
06-12-2007, 1:26 PM
Does water base or standard laquer make a difference with the tint?[/QUOTE]

In the case of TransTint, you can add it to waterborne finishes or to solvent lacquer.

I would point out that as a general matter, waterborne lacquer is no more like solvent lacquer (nitrocellose) than shellac is like varnish. They are entirely different products. The term lacquer really doesn't mean anything for a waterborne, since they aren't really evaporative finishes like lacquer. Yes, water does evaporate, but then the remaining solvent based material coalesces to cure more like a varnish than a lacquer. Waterborne's are almost entirely formulated around acyrlic resin, sometimes with a bit of polyurethane resin added in for some increase in abrasion resistance.

Paul Zonneveld
06-12-2007, 3:48 PM
Thanks for the response Steve. I had asked this question the other day about the difference between water borne and solvent laquers. I am tempted to use the solvent based even though it imparts some amber color to the wood. Since I have a really dark stain anyway it should not make a difference. Your input?