PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

Martin Shupe
06-12-2007, 7:33 AM
Knobs!

The one on the left, was done by me, in the wee hours of this morning. (I am barely a turner, having had a few lessons from Bill Grumbine, who will remind me I still owe him a picture of the Shaker candle stand we started over five years ago (I think) that's still not finished. Sorry Bill, but I am getting closer, as I recently acquired an indexer for my mini-lathe, so I can cut the dovetails for the legs.) But I digress...

The small one has a shaft of 1/4 inch, and the knob portion is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. I am making these for C. H. Becksvoort's Shaker Clock class that I will attend at Kelly Mehler's School in July. I think I got the neck a little too small, and I didn't "flare" into the bottom of the mushroom. I was using a skew, so it is more of a straight line. I also burned the edge when I was burnishing it with shavings. I didn't know you could do that, but I won't do it again.

Now, compare mine to the one on the right, done by the master himself, CHB, at a seminar I attended two summers ago. I hung around so long that he gave me the knob he turned in the seminar as he was packing up. You will notice that he has a nice flare under the mushroom top, and a nicer curve from the base. So, I have some room to improve. Chris' knob has a 3/8 inch shaft, and the size is about 3/4 by 3/4 inches.

This is my second attempt at this knob. The first was a disaster, with lots of tear out and poor form.

Critiques and suggestions for improvement welcome.

Quinn McCarthy
06-12-2007, 8:37 AM
Martin

I like the way they turned out. I just tried making knobs for a sjaker cabinet. One of my turning videos has a section on it. It looked easy on the video. I wanted ebony knobs so I bought enough ebony to do the knobs. I tried practicing on some scrap wood and got to the point were I thought I was ready. Then I tried the knobs in ebony. They turned into a disaster. Both on the practice and on the ebony I kept getting tear out on the flat grain side of the blanks. Especially at the base where the thickness get to about 1/8". I was really frustrated and haven't figured out what I did wrong. Maybe somebody here can help.

Quinn

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2007, 9:25 AM
Not too bad Martin.....Keep in mind the "Master" has probably turned a couple hundred if not thousands of these. Production turning and that's what this qualifies as is very difficult. When you have to produce more than one that have to look a like....it's booger!

I turned 12 bubinga knobs for a guy. Without a doubt it was the most difficult project I've turned to date! Recently I turned spindles for Dave Richards wheel on his sailboat. Difficult but not quite as difficult as those knobs!

Good luck and keep practicing! They'll get better!

PS....IMHO...anyone who can make a night time carrier landing can surely learn to turn knobs!

Jim Becker
06-12-2007, 9:33 AM
Nice work, Martin!!

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Martin..!!!! You sly dawg you. Sneaking in here with a turning of the round world. Congrats. I think the knob you turned looks very nice. I'd be proud to put it on a clock I've made. You did good buddy!!!:D

Joseph Peacock
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :D :cool: