PDA

View Full Version : Carving a Ball-and-Claw foot

Mike Henderson
06-12-2007, 1:22 AM
I'm trying to learn how to carve a Ball-and-Claw foot. I went searching the web and found three articles in Fine Woodworking: one in issue #10 by A.W. Marlow titled "Ball and Claw Feet", one in issue #84, by Mack Headley, Jr. titled "Carving a Ball-and-Claw Foot", and one in issue 186 by Eugene Landon titled "Carve a Ball-and-Claw foot.

I also have some ball-and-claw pictures from "Master Craftsmen of Newport: The Townsends and Goddards" but that's just pictures and not a "how to".

I know that Phil Lowe has a video but I'm really looking for a text and pictures tutorial rather than a video.

If there's a tutorial you've used that you really like, I'd appreciate you letting me know about it.

Mike

Al Navas
06-12-2007, 7:57 AM
John Fry lives in Acton, California. He recently made a wonderful chair with gorgeous ball & claw feet. You might try contacting him, to see if you can work out doing something together.

James Mittlefehldt
06-12-2007, 8:07 AM
Lonnie Bird's book Shaping Wood from Taunton Press, has an extensive tutorial on that subject Mike, with a number of detail pictures, if that helps.

John Timberlake
06-12-2007, 8:31 AM
The best instruction I have seen are from Gene Landon at the Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe. After carving a number of them, I have modified my procedure a little. This if for the Philadelphia style. Good step-by-step instructions with pictures.

When I wanted to carve a Boston style, I just modified the technique a little. Have not tried a Newport style yet, but maybe this Fall. Going on Vacation to Newport in July and hope to get inspiration.

Robert LaPlaca
06-12-2007, 8:37 AM
I believe that Olde Mill Cabinet Shop (Eugene Landon) sells a more complete carving a Ball and Claw guide then was published in FWW, I think it is $40.

The Phil Lowe video is excellent also, if you like video's..

Wow I guess John Timberlake and I were posting the same response at nearly the same time...

Carl Eyman
06-12-2007, 8:58 AM
Have you seen Ron Clarkson's books on the Chippendale Chair and the Companion book on The Chippendale Tilt-top Tea Table are two references I've used. They are ve3ry detailed. The whole book is devoted to the subject. Something like 400 photos in each. The chair book dilutes its instruction on b&c with some stuff on hairy paw, but the table book is strictly b&c. Since a pedestal requires a somewhat different approach than a chair you might be interested in that.

I know you have probably seen the pieces I've made from these books, but if you want to visit them again go to www.eyman.org/furniture.

I have both books and will loan them to you if you want. I have no immediate need of them, but want to keep them in my library rather than sewll them.

I also referred to the FWW article you mentioned as well as Phil Lowe's video.

Doug Shepard
06-12-2007, 9:02 AM
This thread is worth looking at
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56054

Don Bullock
06-12-2007, 9:48 AM
...I know you have probably seen the pieces I've made from these books, but if you want to visit them again go to www.eyman.org/furniture (http://www.eyman.org/furniture).

WOW!!! Sorry Mike for hijacking this thread but those creations by Carl are amazing. If anyone hasn't clicked on his link, I'd suggest that you do so.

--Now back to the subject of the thread.:D

Mike Henderson
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow, thanks for the replies and the suggestions. It'll take me a little while to research them all. I have several of the books you recommended - but had forgotten that the ball-and-claw was in them.

Carl, thanks for the offer to lend Clarkson's books but I think I have both of them in my library - if I can find them. That's some beautiful early American furniture you've made. Robert & John - thanks for the pointer to the Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe. I'll check that out. James, I have Lonnie Bird's book and will check it out. Doug, I'm going to print out that thread. Al, Acton is a bit of a drive from me but iI'll keep it in mind. I have a friend locally who has taken some classes from Landon who will help me.

Thanks again everyone.

Mike

John Timberlake
06-13-2007, 1:39 PM
This thread is worth looking at

I remember seeing this, but had forgotten. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Andrew Swartz
06-13-2007, 4:05 PM
I would definitely take a look at the book offered through Olde Mill Workshop. I picked up a copy when I was there this weekend. It had excellent detailed instructions and step by step photographs.

Also, I believe Landon is offering a class on carving a ball and claw in July. If there is any way you can make it to the class, I'd highly recommend it. Landon is a great teacher.

Mike Henderson
06-13-2007, 4:51 PM
I would definitely take a look at the book offered through Olde Mill Workshop. I picked up a copy when I was there this weekend. It had excellent detailed instructions and step by step photographs.

Also, I believe Landon is offering a class on carving a ball and claw in July. If there is any way you can make it to the class, I'd highly recommend it. Landon is a great teacher.
Thanks for the recommendation. It'd be a hike for me to take that class. I'm a stone's throw from the Pacific Ocean and I expect that the Olde Mill Cabinet Shop is a stone's throw from the Atlantic Ocean. Seems that all the Early American stuff is back east.

Mike

Gene DiNardo
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Mike, I use a variation of Lonnie Byrds method.
Pretty thorough and straight foward.

David DeCristoforo
06-14-2007, 12:02 AM
And here's a thread with pics of his carving process:

Watching someone actually do this would be worth a lot in terms of learning. Reading and looking at pictures can't hold a candle to actually seeing the process.

Al Navas
06-14-2007, 7:55 AM
And here's a thread with pics of his carving process:

Watching someone actually do this would be worth a lot in terms of learning. Reading and looking at pictures can't hold a candle to actually seeing the process.

Interesting... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=601839&postcount=2)