PDA

View Full Version : ART REjection Letter and First Juried show!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, I received my first Art rejection letter. The Illinois Artisans Program said thank you for submitting, but you didn't make the cut this year. (Basically - Keep working on improving your quality and try next spring - don't forget to include the $20.00 jury fee.

Boo Hoo:o

Now the first juried show. First time I paid $100.00 to be in a show (2 days).

First day (Saturday 10:00 AM till 5:00 PM) sold some small things - enough to pay for the booth and lunch. The weather was wonderful, but there were four local festivals in the proximity of the show's location. Most others I talked to had the same amount of business, Except one lady who sold a $1000.00 painting. (Good for her!)

Sunday - The show opened at 10:00 AM and ran till 4:00 PM. I didn't expect things to pick up until after Noon. OOPS - never picked up. Spotty, at best. Sold a pen in the first two hours, a lot of looky-lou's, and several I'll B Back's.

One of the b-backs walked by three times saying they weren't done yet and the third time, I said "Yes you are! Have a nice day!" The other B-Back was looking at a the Dalmation bowl I made from Jim King's wood. I priced it at $150.00 since it was so beautiful. Before they made it back, another customer bought it.

That one sale made the day And the show! I really wish the B-backs would be honest and just say they like, but are looking for something else.

Bruce

Chris Barton
06-12-2007, 7:37 AM
Hi Bruce,

I'm glad to hear you covered your expenses and then some. Maybe another way to think about the "B-Backs" is that they are customers that have "almost bought" but, that they need a little extra selling. I can't count the number of times I've looked at something over and over again and it took a long time for me to make my final decision. Best of luck with your future shows!

Anthony Anderson
06-12-2007, 9:14 AM
I'm with Chris on this one. When my my wife and I go to art shows or galleries, we may stop and look at a particular piece three or four times before we make a decision, or walk by several times just to see if the piece strikes us the way it did the first time. Maybe the people really weren't finished making the decision. The artist's demeanor also factors into our decision to buy, or not. I wish you better success next time Bruce. Regards, Bill

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry if I misled you folks. I'm happy with the outcome. It's just that I get a little greedy sometimes.

I forgot mention that I had a chance to talk to the judge and he liked what I did. Just not well enough to award me one of the four ribbons. There were 57 vendors and some were fantastic!

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry about the reject Bruce. I'd like to try and make the Arkansas Guild but I know that I need to spend a LOT more time behind the lathe before I try it. I'm sure you'll get'r next time. Also, congrats on your sales!! :D

Anthony Anderson
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Bruce, Did you post pictures of the Dalmation Bowl? I would have liked to seen that piece. The turnings by the people on this forum really amazes me. Someday I am going to try it. Regards, Bill

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-13-2007, 1:06 AM
Evenin' Anthony. Take a look at the " I LOVE natures beauty-especially when I can find it! " thread. The pictures are not the greatest, but the wood was FANTASTIC!

Bruce

Paul Engle
06-13-2007, 4:15 PM
Bruce , I know how the reject letter feels :eek: , glad you came out ok on the weekend anyway. I dont know if I would call it greedy .... maybe a little over valued but then .... most people wont see the valu in a lot of things in life and I guess one could say it may be up to us to show it to em eh?;) . I am glad it worked out for you !!!