PDA

View Full Version : kitchen pics

mike roe
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I was able to finish off a butcher block counter top last night. Cabinet is not done yet and there are some finishing touches to do but the block is done. Id appreciate any comments as im still new to this. Besides cabinet doors this is my first project. It added valuable counter space to my small kitchen. The cabinet it is on, when finished completely, will have a full extension garbage/recycling pull out, a pull out for large pots and pans, and large cutlery drawer.

the block is edge grain cherry, purpleheart, and an accent strip of maple.

The wall you see in the pic is not done yet.

thanks to everyone on this forum for useful insight ive learned in reading the various posts!

Charles Jackson III
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Very nice work!

Glenn Clabo
06-12-2007, 6:51 AM
That's some pretty butcher block Mike. Good work.

Mario Lucchesi
06-12-2007, 8:02 AM
Very nice work. The purpleheart will go well with the wall color. Very nice.

John Timberlake
06-12-2007, 8:16 AM
Looks great. Really distinctive. Everyone will know it is custom work. More pics when finished, please.

Rich Torino
06-12-2007, 2:29 PM
Your way past the newbie stage.... it looks great..

Steve Clardy
06-12-2007, 4:47 PM
Very nice counter top:)

mike roe
06-12-2007, 8:31 PM
thanks everyone - maybe one day this house will be done

Randy Denby
06-12-2007, 9:17 PM
:D Only the second project?? Thats it....I'm selling my tools. My second project back in 'about '74 was a rifle holder in high school....Yoooogly! Very impressive Mike! But, you really need to do something with those walls:eek: :D

suzan odom
06-12-2007, 9:38 PM
butcher block is the end grain of the wood as thats the hardest and most resistant to the knife.

mike roe
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks again,
I learned a lot doing this - im not sure how long it took as it was weekends whenever i had the time, but it took a while. Mostly i learned everything from reading posts on this site and picking up tips and tricks all over the web. Soon ill be asking about built-ins as i have a 8 foot wide window in a large open area that needs a bench or something...

end grain, edge grain, yada yada im no chef. I looked online for this style and found www.glumber.com. Their counters and blocks are amazing. I got the idea for this from a maple and cherry edge grain counter top they have on their site.

The walls are due to get a natural stone slate backsplash soon. so the cabinet is not yet in permanently. I picked up some slate with nice color variation i think will go niceley with the purpleheart.

Thanks again!!