PDA

View Full Version : Wood turners clubs

marc kalmanson
06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I am relatively new to turning (6 months), having recently retired fromwork in an emergency department after almost 40 years. does any one know of a turners club in the northeast Florida area?
I have a a Grizzly lathe that has a 3/4 hp motor, a 40 inch bed and a 14 inch capacity. It really was a bargain at $350.00. My challenges right now are finding a source for wood, safe attachment of bowl blanks to the chuck and best tool selectionfor bowl turning.
I have been cutting the blanks to a rough rounded shape to aid in turning as I have with spindle turning.
Thanks for any help.
marc

Gordon Seto
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Gordon

Keith Burns
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Check on the AAW Website. They have a list of all of the clubs, http://www.woodturner.org/. Welcome to the Creek ! You will find a lot of help here as well.

Larry McCumber
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Marc,

We have a great woodturning club in Jacksonville. Meets second Monday of each month - just got home from this month's meeting. We have members at all stages of turning - from never turned to real artists. Check out the website at http://www.jaxturners.org/nfwa.htm , and come by and see us.

Larry

Gary DeWitt
06-12-2007, 3:47 AM
Make friends with local tree maintenance companies. Check with your local city tree people, find out what they do with the trees they have to take down, or haul away after a hurricane. Keep a sharp eye out while driving around, carry a chain saw if possible. Watch Craigslist (.com) for "firewood" that people only want someone to haul away.
With any luck, you'll get some of that famous cypress!

John Timberlake
06-12-2007, 8:40 AM
What Gordon said. There are a lot in Florida. You will have to pick out the one that is close to you. Don't see any in Gainesville area.

marc kalmanson
06-12-2007, 8:48 AM
Thanks all for the help and info. Unfortunately, I am about 65 miles from the Woodcraft store in J-ville., but I will keep looking for other turners. I live in a rather small town, about 2500 people, but Gainesville is the closest aand is quite a god size what with the U of Fl.
I will also place an ad for free tree removal as I did tree work and landscaping in the past.
marc

Henry Cavanaugh
06-12-2007, 8:59 AM
I had thought 65 miles was too far but went to a turner meeting to check it out. Well I found 2-3 people to car pool with and have been going ever since

Gordon Seto
06-12-2007, 9:09 AM
I am real fortunate to live between two active Clubs. We have members who travel from neighboring States to our meetings.

Most likely the stores that host the meeting would also give generous discounts (as much as 25%) to members on Club meeting day. The saving may pay for or subsidize the gas. Holding, examining and running your fingers over other members' work is an experience more than seeing them on monitors. Most clubs also allow you to attend their meeting as guest before you decide to join. If you don't go, you will never know what you are going to miss.

Gordon

Patrick Taylor
06-12-2007, 9:58 AM
I will also place an ad for free tree removal as I did tree work and landscaping in the past.
marc

You may not actually have to do the removal... I've heard of tree companies that are happy to bring you the wood so that they don't have to pay the dumping fees.